Cheap Subs?.

PLuKE

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Well after thinking about getting a sub, But only for films. I only have a 2 channel setup as i listen to music alot, But i just want the films to have some real kick behind them. I was looking at the Gale Storm 8 on Richersounds as its a cheap one but will still add some bass. But will it sound any good or will it just be fake sounding instead of low and deep base?. http://www.richersounds.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=GALE-STORM8-BLK Thanks Luke

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Seems fairly inexpensive, but 60W isn't a lot of power for a subwoofer, and I hardly think it will do justice to the 685s. I'd give it a swerve, myself...

PLuKE

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
You could be right, I dont want the sub to sound underpower and the 685s are still going to have to do most of the work. Is there anything else around £100 that will be half decent? Or what sort of WATT's should i be looking at 100W?.

Thanks

Luke

A

Anonymous

Save up a bit (a lot?) and buy one from BK Electronics. They manufacture subs for MJ Acoustics but sell direct so offer much better value.

A

Anonymous

MJ Acoustics Reference 100. If set up properly it is brilliant. I use one in a £12,000 Hi Fi set up so I know a little about quality.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="AlanBstone"]

MJ Acoustics Reference 100. If set up properly it is brilliant. I use one in a £12,000 Hi Fi set up so I know a little about quality.

[/quote]

Why would you use such a low powered sub in a £12000 system? I don't get it.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Fingers Lee"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What makes you think that power has to do somthing with $$$ ?!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"][quote user="unleash_me"][quote user="Fingers Lee"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What makes you think that power has to do somthing with $$$ ?!

[/quote]
Seconded...For example... One of the best Amps ever made... Check the power rating...AudioNote Ongaku[/quote]

Irrelevant. I was talking about the sub, not the main amplifier. A high quality sub, especially a sealed one, needs either a very powerful amplifier or a very large box in order to produce low frequencies without distorting horribly. This sub has neither of those and therefore really has no place in a 12 grand system.

A

Anonymous

The title of this thread is "Cheap subs" and the general opinion seems to be that they don't exist - or at least they sound so cheap and nasty that you wouldn't bother. Can I ask why this is? After all, you can get good-sounding budget speakers. Why not subs? Are they more difficult to design / manufacture?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="tractorboy"]Are they more difficult to design / manufacture?[/quote]

To get good deep bass from a relatively small box means lots of amplifier power, a well braced cabinet and a top quality bass driver. It just can't be done on the cheap.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts