Cheap Dac suggestions

My daughter wants to connect her lap top to the Leema, as it's her birthday in two weeks. She's buying it but it has to be sub-£100. She uses a Jam Hangaround Bluetooth speaker but wants a better sound.

Bear in mind the amp has no digital connectivity.

Cheers.

An Audioquest Dragonfly is well under £100 - often sold used, cheaper still - and can later be used for headphones while travelling (say). All you need to connect to your Hi-Fi is a stereo 3.5mm to two RCA phono cable, available any length you need.

Reactions: WayneKerr

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
My daughter wants to connect her lap top to the Leema, as it's her birthday in two weeks. She's buying it but it has to be sub-£100. She uses a Jam Hangaround Bluetooth speaker but wants a better sound.

Bear in mind the amp has no digital connectivity.

Cheers.

The laptop already has one built in, suspect all you really need is a 3.5mm to RCA splitter.
2 quid should do it from amazon

Or find a chrome cast audio on the ebay

or if you want something nice there are plenty of dongle dac's out there to suit everybody's pocket

Mcc

Mar 14, 2021
Visit site
Can I suggest the Airplay 2 Wiim mini, plus a 3.5 mom jack to rca. you get Bluetooth , usb and WiFi for £89. Bit more future proof and the Dac spec looks good too
mm. Not mom

Can I suggest the Airplay 2 Wiim mini, plus a 3.5 mom jack to rca. you get Bluetooth , usb and WiFi for £89. Bit more future proof and the Dac spec looks good too
mm. Not mom
It's only occasional use with the full-size amp. We've already got wifi from the router. But that doesn't help with a basic analogue amp such as I have. And it should sound much better than my daughter using a tiny Bluetooth speaker.

Mcc

Mar 14, 2021
Visit site
It's only occasional use with the full-size amp. We've already got wifi from the router. But that doesn't help with a basic analogue amp such as I have. And it should sound much better than my daughter using a tiny Bluetooth speaker.
Not sure why not. A jack from the mini to the Leema amp, presumably rca connection in. usb or Bluetooth from the laptop, or even WiFi if the laptop is networked.

doifeellucky

I appreciate she’s already ordered but for a laptop a Zen Air DAC for £99 might be a good option. In my office I use the Zen DAC V2 connected to my PC plugged into a budget Class D amp.

However for what is likely to be a one off use 3.5mm to RCA out of the headphone socket is probably all you need.

I personally wouldn’t bother with the Wiim Mini as the inbuilt DAC, which you’d have to use via the aux out, is probably no better than the one in the laptop. Optical out to a DAC is how the Wiim Mini should be used.

Reactions: WayneKerr

TRENDING THREADS