Off-spring off to Uni.

Yesterday I took my daughter off to University in London. As she has never been away from home, apart from school trips and occasional sleep overs at her friends. No doubt it will be a challenge to look after herself. Tried to cover all aspects, inc. giving her tips on cooking cheap, healthy food blah blah blah....

She was, understandably, apprehensive about the prospect. I didn't realise how these last couple of weeks have had a negative effect on me. I was fine 00 or thought so -- when I left her. It wasn't until I got home it really hit me. Don't mind confessing, I shed some tears. I know it sounds patheic, but given Mrs. P's limitations I've always been there.

Of course we are very proud of her to go to Uni -- it was her decision. At the same time we're wistful at the lack of presence in the house.

D

Deleted member 196306

My niece has just graduated from Plymouth University in Marine Biology. She has just started her Masters in Marine Biology at Plymouth too.

Reactions: Al ears

Tinman1952

Yesterday I took my daughter off to University in London. As she has never been away from home, apart from school trips and occasional sleep overs at her friends. No doubt it will be a challenge to look after herself. Tried to cover all aspects, inc. giving her tips on cooking cheap, healthy food blah blah blah....

She was, understandably, apprehensive about the prospect. I didn't realise how these last couple of weeks have had a negative effect on me. I was fine 00 or thought so -- when I left her. It wasn't until I got home it really hit me. Don't mind confessing, I shed some tears. I know it sounds patheic, but given Mrs. P's limitations I've always been there.

Of course we are very proud of her to go to Uni -- it was her decision. At the same time we're wistful at the lack of presence in the house.
I feel for you..it’s quite a shock when they go!
I remember dropping my eldest lad off at uni and being heartbroken as we drove away and he was just standing there all alone in a strange place…
My daughter also suffered from homesickness for the first few weeks and was constantly calling home…..until she met the young man who is currently her husband! 🙄

D

Deleted member 196306

I feel for you..it’s quite a shock when they go!
I remember dropping my eldest lad off at uni and being heartbroken as we drove away and he was just standing there all alone in a strange place…
My daughter also suffered from homesickness for the first few weeks and was constantly calling home…..until she met the young man who is currently her husband! 🙄
Definitely is not a good feeling for sure I remember my niece coming round our house a 4.00 in the morning before travelling to Plymouth for the start of the Uni and giving us all big hugs and her walking out crying.

Reactions: Tinman1952

I fully understand how you feel and I will probably be doing the same next year.....

Thanks guys for your kind sentiments. Certainly has been harder than I ever ever expected, both for me and Mrs. P.

She phoned earlier this evening asking for advice to travel to the Uni from her digs. She has a choice of trains, underground or a couple of buses. The quickest route is by underground, and as she's travelling in the peak hours there's safety in numbers. But I've warned her to look out for pick pockets, and keep her bag over her neck and shoulder and keep one hand over the top of the bag.

Although I'm familiar with that area of London I've only ever driven by car, so it'll be a challenge for her and I've just given her the best advice I can. She's sensible and fairly clued up but she's in an area totally alien. She's only used to village life.

Tinman1952

Had some good news. Our daughter back home as she had two free days at Uni. She's going back on Sunday.

She's now talking about coming home every weekend as the journey is no more than about an hour away by one tube and one overground train. It'll also save her some money as a lot of the journey can be done on a Oyster card.
Pleased for you….have a lovely weekend! 👍

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts