Cheap 2nd hand subwoofer to complement speakers

mossi

Jul 24, 2020
Visit site
Hi all

I was wondering if someone could recommend an affordable subwoofer (looking to buy 2nd hand on ebay) between £50-100 to complement a pair of Tannoy M15s.

I currently own KEF Coda 7 SEs with a Yamaha AX-396 but someone gave me the Tannoys which have much better sound definition and soundstage but lack in the bass section.

I'm not interested so much in terms of bass in music as much as watching films and TV shows and the M15s although they have very clear bass it lacks the OOMPH that even the much smaller KEFs have.

I've seen some subwoofers on ebay but it's been a while since I owned one.
I'd like to buy something that will complement the M15s bass instead of an overpowering bass response.
Obviously I know I'd have to hear it first but I'm willing to accept some more subjective suggestions so to say.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you

ps. forgot to say, it needs to have high level input as I'm connecting to the 2nd set of speakers on the AX-396!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Does it matter what colour?
I know a little about BK subwoofers as I have one (XXLS400).
Looking on ebay there is quite a range but many under £100 are not in great condition.
There are some BK Gemini's that look like they are in reasonably good condition, they have a high level connection.
I would be checking:
Price
Colour
High Level connection
Condition
150w or more
Ideally minimum of 10" woofer

If you are not sure, you can always research the models online.
Full details of the Gemini for example can be found on the BK website.
£150 would probably give you more choice.

mossi

Jul 24, 2020
Visit site
Does it matter what colour?
I know a little about BK subwoofers as I have one (XXLS400).
Looking on ebay there is quite a range but many under £100 are not in great condition.
There are some BK Gemini's that look like they are in reasonably good condition, they have a high level connection.
I would be checking:
Price
Colour
High Level connection
Condition
150w or more
Ideally minimum of 10" woofer

If you are not sure, you can always research the models online.
Full details of the Gemini for example can be found on the BK website.
£150 would probably give you more choice.

It's not a big room and I'm not looking for a big driver so whether 8 inch or 10 inch not sure if it'll make a difference.
We're talking about carpetted floor.
Colour I guess it doesn't really matter as it's probably going to be hidden behind the TV cabinet.
I've just got back into hifi after a long hiatus and I actually was reading the other day about BKs that they're all good.
I think I had a 10 inch JPW before which was quite good albeit the bass was a bit muddled on occasion.
I also had a JVC one with a very subtle bass response which I sold to a friend (he liked it).

daytona600

How are your DIY skills bucket sub you could even build a pair for £100 if you have some lying around in your garage
plastic bucket , silicone sealant , , small bag of concrete class D bash plate amp & 10-15inch woofer & 1hour

mossi

Jul 24, 2020
Visit site
How are your DIY skills bucket sub you could even build a pair for £100 if you have some lying around in your garage
plastic bucket , silicone sealant , , small bag of concrete class D bash plate amp & 10-15inch woofer & 1hour

DIY skills ain't great I'm afraid nor do I have the space/workbench.
I'm very good with building computers but building a subwoofer is outside my skillset unfortunately.

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Wharfefale Diamond SW150?
They are £150 new so surely under £100 second hand? Probably not the same league as the brands mentioned above but will be in better condition in the budget range you are looking at.

SpursGator

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
DIY skills ain't great I'm afraid nor do I have the space/workbench.
I'm very good with building computers but building a subwoofer is outside my skillset unfortunately.

If you can build a PC you can build a sub - you would just need to buy a ready-built cabinet. Not happening anywhere near your budget unfortunately. With subs, more than any other facet of audio, DIY still wins. PC skills - or grown-up Legos, as some call it - is a perfect intro to DIY audio. even with no workbench. BUT - at your price point it's a non-starter.

Honestly, I would just wait. It's being cynical but people are going to be looking for cash over the coming months. You need to save a little more. You are just pisssing away money at 100 quid. Maybe you'll find a boom box that, I promise, you'll hate.

Bide your time, and watch the adverts. Try to ferret away a few more bucks as the used market gets flooded. Something better than the current offerings will present itself. Your only enemy is impatience.

mossi

Jul 24, 2020
Visit site
If you can build a PC you can build a sub - you would just need to buy a ready-built cabinet. Not happening anywhere near your budget unfortunately. With subs, more than any other facet of audio, DIY still wins. PC skills - or grown-up Legos, as some call it - is a perfect intro to DIY audio. even with no workbench. BUT - at your price point it's a non-starter.

Honestly, I would just wait. It's being cynical but people are going to be looking for cash over the coming months. You need to save a little more. You are just pisssing away money at 100 quid. Maybe you'll find a boom box that, I promise, you'll hate.

Bide your time, and watch the adverts. Try to ferret away a few more bucks as the used market gets flooded. Something better than the current offerings will present itself. Your only enemy is impatience.

Thanks for the advice!
Impatience is a long standing nemesis of mine when it comes to buying 2nd hand and it has led me to a few minor (fortunately) blunders.

On this occasion though I'm thinking I might just do what you're saying and bide my time.
I'm just a bit reluctant to flog the KEFs before I actually buy a decent sub also in case impatience wins and I decide to flog the Tannoys instead.

In terms of DIY there has been strong resistance from my wife to turning the living room into a PC building lab of sorts so going into building a DIY sub might be a step too far if you catch my drift :ROFLMAO:

Any other brands/models to look out for other than what's already been mentioned above?

mossi

Jul 24, 2020
Visit site
Wharfefale Diamond SW150?
They are £150 new so surely under £100 second hand? Probably not the same league as the brands mentioned above but will be in better condition in the budget range you are looking at.

Yeah it does come up every now and then on eBay 2nd hand but always around the £100 mark or higher.
I'll keep looking!

izools

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Tannoy TS-10. I've owned one for a decade and it's bloomin' marvellous.

WhatHiFi reviewed it in 2009 and had great praises to sing.

I have mine placed atop a nice chunky slab of granite; very much helps IMHO.

Dunno how much it will sell for but there's one on eBay

It's got to be worth a punt, right?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts