Changing speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi i am wanting to change my b&w 685 but don't know what for !!.

I am running a roksan kandy mk3 amp and cd player and i find the b&w's a bit jumbled in there sound (either that or i am going deaf!!) must be stand mount

Anybody got any idea's

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

skinflint said:
Hi i am wanting to change my b&w 685 but don't know what for !!.

I am running a roksan kandy mk3 amp and cd player and i find the b&w's a bit jumbled in there sound (either that or i am going deaf!!) must be stand mount

Anybody got any idea's

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Welcome...

Yup, gotta a few suggestions, but need to know budget.

Thanks for that...

Right, Epos M12is are fabulous speakers. One of their faults is they can be a little cold or dry in the midrange. The Kandy's warmth will counteract this slight shortfall. Also, look at MA RX1s. I've not heard the RX range but if they're anything like the other MA speakers should match the Kandy nicely.

Slightly out of character for me, but ATC SCM7s may well be your bag. Wonderfully organised, informative monitors.

If you could look at S/H or ex-dem then PMC DB1is, Ruark Sabre III or Totem standmounters will make the Roksan sing.

Wherever possible audition any prospective purchase...

Good luck, pp

A

Anonymous

Some good suggestions there from PP

I'd defintely recommend the Monitor Audio RX1's or RX2's; both superb and IMO better than the B&W 685's (even though they're still great speakers). Some M/A GS10's would be a good upgrade as well if you can find them 2nd hand

The B&W CM5's are also brilliant speakers as are the Dynaudio DM2/6's and 2/7's. The Roksan Kandy K2 speakers are also very good; they'd partner VERY well with your system IMO

A bit of an 'out there' recommendation but the Klipsch RB81's are fantastic speakers but they're hard to find to demo from what I've found.

A friend has these partnered with a Rotel RA1520 amp and Rega Saturn CDP and it's a superb system
smiley-cool.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks all

I am off to brighton tomorrow to lisen to some MA RX2 at sevenoaks hifi thay are the only intresting speakers thay will order in so i can audition them in my local aera

A

Anonymous

That's good...

If you can through ask if they can be running for a few hours with a good amp before you hear them

They do sound brilliant out of the box but when run in a bit they REALLY come to life

They are superb speakers so make sure that a) they;re on good stands (they're big and you'll see that when you demo them) and b) you've got some good muci with decent vocals, bass to test the low end and music to test the high notes as well

Let us know how you get on
smiley-cool.gif

A

Anonymous

I back again i hope i am not being a bit thick but

I have Just been looking around the net at the specks of the MA rx2 and thay are 6 ohm

Now my roksan amp speck's are an output of 8ohm or 4 ohm would the speakers be ok or should i look at somthing else?

Dom

Rokan kandy k1 mk3 amp & mk3 cd player, cambridge audio dab 500 tuner, rega rp1 turntable, Partington Dreadnought speaker stands, assorted chord interconnects & cables & b&w 685 speakers, ROTEL rc1070/rb1070 pre & power amp(broken)

A

Anonymous

ear said:
roksan+ rx2? 200% no go. rx1 is a different story

Talking rubbish again ear...

The Roksan will drive the RX2's superbly. They only difference between them and the RX1's is the size of driver.

Skinflint; demo them & see how you get on. Don't worry about ohms; your amp will drive them fine

A

Anonymous

hifilover1979 said:
ear said:

Talking rubbish again ear... The Roksan will drive the RX2's superbly. They only difference between them and the RX1's is the size of driver. Skinflint; demo them & see how you get on. Don't worry about ohms; your amp will drive them fine

Perhaps he means that they wont sound good together?

I certainly wouldn't pair Monitor Audio RX series' with Roksan...

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Monstrous said:
hifilover1979 said:
ear said:

Talking rubbish again ear... The Roksan will drive the RX2's superbly. They only difference between them and the RX1's is the size of driver. Skinflint; demo them & see how you get on. Don't worry about ohms; your amp will drive them fine

Perhaps he means that they wont sound good together?

I certainly wouldn't pair Monitor Audio RX series' with Roksan...

You say no to roksan and ma rx, hifilover says yes, difference of opinion, fair enough. Hard to believe tho that rx2 absolutely no and rx1 absolutely yes :?

A

Anonymous

ear said:
rx2 are very bright.rx1 are not

Yeah... Ok

You really do talk some rubbish..

They've very much the same soundstage apart from the RX2's go deeper.

Sometimes I think you've no idea what you're going on about...

T

the record spot

Perhaps the Castle Knight 2 might be a good option. Apparently an easier-on-the-ear listen - not typically what you'd call bright and perhaps a better combination with the Roksan amp.

A

Anonymous

Well an intresting day has been had!!!

Went to brighton has a lisen to some MA RX1 & RX2 not bad but the rx2 is a better speaker

Also had a lisen to some Totem Dreamcatcher speaker's very nice and some rega rs1

Still thinking

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

A

Anonymous

skinflint said:
Well an intresting day has been had!!!

Went to brighton has a lisen to some MA RX1 & RX2 not bad but the rx2 is a better speaker

Also had a lisen to some Totem Dreamcatcher speaker's very nice and some rega rs1

Still thinking

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Sounds like you've heard some decent speakers. The RX2's are very good indeed

Are you able to demo the B&W CM5's or the Dynaudio DM 2/6's at all?

A

Anonymous

Not yet i am off to audio-t on tuesday to run through there range of speakers!!!!

A

Anonymous

skinflint said:
Not yet i am off to audio-t on tuesday to run through there range of speakers!!!!

What speakers will you be demo'ing with them (BTW if you didnt know/realise, they're Sevenoaks now)

A

Anonymous

Yes i took my kandy amp with me left my cd at home.

I am going to the old audio-t store because thay have a good range of Dynaudio and Dali in store

but i have to admit the Totem Dreamcatcher's have been the best by far the base is a bit lite but the midrange and treble was spot on

Dom

Rokan kandy k1 mk3 amp & mk3 cd player, cambridge audio dab 500 tuner, rega rp1 turntable, Partington Dreadnought speaker stands, assorted chord interconnects & cables & b&w 685 speakers, ROTEL rc1070/rb1070 pre & power amp(must get it fixed)

A

Anonymous

There are some MA GS10'S on ebay i have my eye on but as i havent been able to demo any i am not sure about biding

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts