Change of amp or turntable

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi, I have a Rega RP3 with a Yamaha AS501 and Tannoy DC6T speakers, I am happy with the sound but I feel the urge to upgrade, I am looking at the amp primarily and the Rega Elex R has been on my radar but now that the Planar 6 is about to be released I'm not so sure, I would in the future go with a moving coil and my thinking was Elex amp new Rega MC phono and a AT AF 2 or 7 and use these with my RP3 then save for the new Planar 6 and Ania cartridge, I have been told by the good lady that this is the last upgrade, I am coming up for retirement age so I have to agree, this system should see me out, the speakers are great so no need for an upgrade there, if I get the amp the RP3 may stay it's a great turntable but the new Planar 6 does look tempting, it's a dialema, your thought please.

If you only listen to LPs and have a big collection I'd consider the turntable, but otherwise I'd go for a better amp. In any case, a Rega dealer should willingly demonstrate both so that you can make a value judgement using your own ears.

Mark Rose-Smith said:
I reckon you're not even getting the best from your rp3 with that yamaha amp.I think you should forget looking at a turntable upgrade and get the amplification sorted first.....that rp3 can go far once you get a decent pre amp and cartridge for it.

+1

If the OP is thinking of moving coils then I would move away from Rega to give more choice but seriously think about sticking with moving magnet if on a limited budget.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
I was thinking the same but I do like rega, as for the amp the Creek Evo 50 looks tempting, I would invest in a separate phono stage at some point so the amp is probably more important than a TT upgrade, the new Ania and the MC amp had a good write up on the ear so maybe that's the way to go in the future, at present on my RP3 I have an Audio Technical 440mlb with a Rega fono ad2 which I like but it seems the general consensus is my Yamaha is holding back the rest of my system, thanks for your thoughts so far.

Hi gregory

Yes, amp first and the Evo 50A is good call.

If your budget allows Hegel's H80 or at the same price it's replacement and the soon to released H90 with a Pro-Ject Phono Box S or DS are also worth a look.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the response, have to keep it under £1000.00 for now, should I decide to upgrade cartridge and phono stage in the future.

insider9

gregory said:
Thanks for the response, have to keep it under £1000.00 for now, should I decide to upgrade cartridge and phono stage in the future.
If you go second hand you will be able to do both for £1,000. Then from the money you get for your old equipment you can get a new cart.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
insider9 said:
gregory said:
If you go second hand you will be able to do both for £1,000. Then from the money you get for your old equipment you can get a new cart.

Ideally you should arrange some demos -especially at home with your speakers to ensure they suit your ears and room. I really enjoyed the Elex-r on home demo, but never got to hear a Creek amp.

And when you know what you like the sound of, there are some good bargains to be had 2nd hand. On a well known auction site today there is a nice Creek Destiny and an Elicit-r - all well within your budget!

gregory said:
Hi, I have a Rega RP3 with a Yamaha AS501 and Tannoy DC6T speakers, I am happy with the sound but I feel the urge to upgrade, I am looking at the amp primarily and the Rega Elex R has been on my radar but now that the Planar 6 is about to be released I'm not so sure, I would in the future go with a moving coil and my thinking was Elex amp new Rega MC phono and a AT AF 2 or 7 and use these with my RP3 then save for the new Planar 6 and Ania cartridge, I have been told by the good lady that this is the last upgrade, I am coming up for retirement age so I have to agree, this system should see me out, the speakers are great so no need for an upgrade there, if I get the amp the RP3 may stay it's a great turntable but the new Planar 6 does look tempting, it's a dialema, your thought please.

I would probably look at amp first.

If you're interested I've still got my Leema Pulse MKI. It's in mint condition, original manual, box, packaging.... and it has been upgraded by Leema Acoustics (all paperwork and receipts as proof. And it has a fabulous built-in switchable phono stage. Save you a lot of money to boot.

As yet haven't time to advertise it since buying the Tucana.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Thank you, I will consider your offer but please sell if you advertise it, I am torn between the creek evo 50 and regas elex so an audition is on the cards.

rainsoothe

gregory said:
Thank you, I will consider your offer but please sell if you advertise it, I am torn between the creek evo 50 and regas elex so an audition is on the cards.

Hi. I'm with everyone else on the "amp first" thing, and take your time auditioning several brands. I, for one, am not a big fan of Yamaha and Rega amplification. But lots of people like them, so at least a Rega elex should be on your audition list. And you are right, audition is the only way you should go when purchasing audio stuff. I haven't had the pleasure of hearing a Rega turntable yet, but there must be a reason for the consensus that it's a brilliant turntable in its price category, so I think there should be no rush in changing that.

The Creek is also considered a nice amp, and I can understand why some people like it, but it lacks authority (again, for my tastes and ears, it might be different for you, especially in your room and with your speakers, cables etc).

Hegel H80 is a nice call imo, and maybe discounts are inbound, since it's being replaced with a new model (H90). Naim Nait 5si should also be on your audition list, and maybe Arcam A29 and Marantz PM8005.

The suggestion of second hand is also a good one, and you would get much better stuff for that budget. This would be my option (especially if you can audition) - in which case, a first gen Naim Nait XS would be my go-to.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts