CES TVs

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

Why are these clowns just mainly showing 60 inch plus TVs? The majority could not care less about TVs that size!

D

Deleted member 2457

chebby said:
gel said:
Why are these clowns just mainly showing 60 inch plus TVs? The majority could not care less about TVs that size!

Because the guest presenters can more easily hide behind / exit behind them.

:grin:

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
gel said:

If you are demoing to a big crowd, I would have thought it was obvious you would use a big TV. Also, don't forget this is a US show. Large TVs are far more common there.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
gel said:

I know, and it's not like the assembled 'tech' hacks, bloggers and blaggers are going to write endless pages of drooling words about ever-pointlessly-bigger screens with ridiculous features like curves, flexibility and – oh, hang on...

D

Deleted member 2457

hammill said:
gel said:

If you are demoing to a big crowd, I would have thought it was obvious you would use a big TV. Also, don't forget this is a US show. Large TVs are far more common there.

There was me thinking the whole point of these shows was to show of TVs people are actually interested in buying! True big TVs are the thing they like buying over there, I still think it is pointless though, if I was in the crowd I would be bored stiff demoing 75 inch TVs - what is to write and report about there?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
There are no TVs I'm interested in this year.

I can't afford an OLED TV. (Give it three years and prices might be more realistic.) The rest are LED models, with functionality I couldn't care less about.

I've heard nothing of G series Samsung plasmas.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
The US market dwarfs the Uk and their homes can generally accommodate larger TVs. Check out any Best Buy and the median screen at least 55in and their HD transmissions finally match the UK for PQ. The biggest factor is as ever, price The old shoppers addage of 'dollars for Pounds' has been accurate for the last 4 decades from my experience. Rip-off Britain indeed. For example, I bought an IPad Air for £276 on Black Friday and designer jeans for £24 - £85 for an identical pair here. ATV £99 vs $99+tax in the Apple store

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
There are no TVs I'm interested in this year.

I can't afford an OLED TV. (Give it three years and prices might be more realistic.) The rest are LED models, with functionality I couldn't care less about.

I've heard nothing of G series Samsung plasmas.

There's still hope for 2014 Samsung plasmas, strapped...

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/plasma-ces-201401063562.htm

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Pindi said:
There's still hope for 2014 Samsung plasmas, strapped...

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/plasma-ces-201401063562.htm

True, though there's no guarantee; and I suspect they won't improve on the F8500 in terms of performance. If they can match the F8500 for less that'll still be an extremely good buy.

Paul.

I would love to see the Samsung 6500 return, it was a bargain. My TV was 8 series picture with no cameras, touch pad remote or upgrade ability.

I noticed from Whathifis reporting on speaker stuff that Samsung seem to have skipped the letter G and gone for H series. Any idea why? Is it like the Japanese being superstitious with the number 4, or a grammatical thing in Korea I wonder?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Maybe this Year the aim is for 60" to be the new 50". If they are the same / similar price why would you buy the 50" ? If you own a 50" why would you buy another 50" or maybe 3 50" sets??? ;)

The industry needs to make sales so it has to up the anty year on year - so maybe the aim is for people to want a bigger tv so they buy sooner...

Or that possibly is already the case in the States - really dont know onm that front

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
Paul. said:
I would love to see the Samsung 6500 return, it was a bargain. My TV was 8 series picture with no cameras, touch pad remote or upgrade ability.

I noticed from Whathifis reporting on speaker stuff that Samsung seem to have skipped the letter G and gone for H series. Any idea why? Is it like the Japanese being superstitious with the number 4, or a grammatical thing in Korea I wonder?

Haha. It's because Samsung hate LG. So, I would imagine that we won't get any 'L' series Samsung TVs.

Size of the TV depends on viewing distance more than affordability, at least in my case. When I was buying my Kuro, I compared both 500A & 600A, and watching the 60-inch model was nauseating at my viewing distance. So I opted for the 50-inch version.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
My next tv will probably be a 60" i have the wall space for it and will probably be a 4K LED tv though, i noticed in the report LG will be bringing a few plasma models out, so thats good news for plasma fanboys. :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Size of the TV depends on viewing distance more than affordability, at least in my case. When I was buying my Kuro, I compared both 500A & 600A, and watching the 60-inch model was nauseating at my viewing distance. So I opted for the 50-inch version.

You soon adjust to it - surpisingly. 65" from eight feet can be bright but it doesnt make you feel sick - quite the opposite you feel fully immersed (almost) its only just big enough at that distance

It hink it depends more on the setting up of it - how bright it is set etc - that def gives eye strain

. I dont think a TV can be too big - its big for a few days then its normal and other TV's become small. Think of people watching 100" projectors - they wouldnt go smaller after having that big screen.

When you have a really good 50" to a lot of people it would make little sense to buy another 50" TV (thats me in that category) - but buying a 60"+ TV makes a lot of sense.

I also think the bigger you buy the less likely you will be looking to upgrade in the near future - as the bigger rule still applies.

You can get a 65VT or a 60ZT for simialr money I paid for my 50" Pioneer - that wasnt the case at the time - If LEDs cost less to build they cost less to sell. So people can afford bigger TV's in their homes - there you get your size expectation shift coming.

50" was big a few years ago - now its standard size + it needs to be big for 4K so thats what they are going to push if you ask me

I think it depends on what constitutes normal TV viewing. I still watch a lot of SD programmes, for which viewing distance is important. With true 4K content, you can easily have a much larger TV at a shorter viewing distance.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Do you not understand what a trade show is?

Though CES is perhaps different from your average trade show, due to the high level of journalistic coverage.

I'm sure most manufacturers regard CES as an opportunity to advertise new products to consumers, too. In fact, it's arguably the most excited tech enthusiasts get all year. A large proportion of hi-fi and AV forum members wouldn't class themselves as "trade."

Just offering a counter-perspective, if only in regard to this particular case.
smiley-smile.gif

T

theflyingwasp

Personally i wouldn't be that bothered about the size of my tv if it wasn't for movies .85 inch wall mounted 4k oled tv please for £5000 (never going to happen)I'd never buy a tv again.

T

theflyingwasp

If it has to be at least 75inch to get the true Benifet of 4k the whole debate is pointless.these size of screens are never ever going to be the norm in the uk .

the only people who are going to be interested in screens or curved screens etc in that size are going to be film and sport fans .

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
2014 seems something of a gap year with regard to TV technology.

While we're enticed by the prospect of affordable OLED TVs, the technology remains out of reach for most consumers, while 4K remains expensive and is of questionable merit at common screen sizes.

Meanwhile, we're offered LED models loaded with features, but which can't compete in terms of overall picture quality with outgoing plasma technology.

In other words, there seems little worth getting excited about this year; and this may remain the case until OLED TVs hit reasonable price points.

Given the performance-per-pound criterion applied to WHF reviews (this isn't a criticism), I predict that an LED TV will be awarded product of the year. (I'm notoriously bad at predictions, however.)

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I think 4K led tv's will slowly drop in price around september/october time they are not that dear now only about £3000 so they are bound to drop in price and i think it is what people will be buying this year.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts