Centre not very clear

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I have a Yamaha rx-v 1065 and I've always had the feeling that it has a real lack of detail in voices.When watching a movie,you just have to focus really well to hear al sounds and voices.

Any other users with the same problem?

Or could it be my centre speaker who is not good enough.

I have the Elac 120 range

floorstands fs 127-2 back bs 123 and centre cc 121

A

Anonymous

I can't remember having this problem with my RXV1065 I had previously, first step, let us know what settings the auto calibration has selected and how your speakers are positioned roughly please.

A

Anonymous

I just ran the automatic auto set up and let it that way.I just put the centre speaker's volume a little higher but i did not help a lot.

A

Anonymous

What I was asking is what has the AVR selected the speakers at small or large, and what are the cross over settings? How are the speakers set up in the room, are they all in line and the same distance from the listen position? What is the level the auto set up has selected for each speaker i.e. -1 or what ever?

A

Anonymous

centre is set small,they are all at the same distance from the listen position,the rest of the settings I cant tell right now.

A

Anonymous

Have you got the "adaptive DRC" on, if so try turning this off, also, do you have it set on any of the yamaha DSP modes, as some change the sound?

A

Anonymous

no its nothing like that,and with blu ray you can't choose a dsp mode.I already tried it,I'm starting to think that the centre speaker just doesn't do the job

A

Anonymous

Did you have this problem with your previous AVR? Ir is this the first time you have used these? What are the front 3 levels?

A

Anonymous

This is my first avr so I can't compare.What do you mean by"what are the three front levels?"

Sorry for the maybe stupid question but I'm an amateur in home cinema-(

A

Anonymous

Well dependent upon where your listening position is, the auto calibration will try to ensure the sound arrives at that point at the exact same time.

To this end it will set up the volume of each speaker level based on how close it is, And any reverberation, delay etc.

So your front left maybe -1 the right maybe -1, but if the centre is -5 then the centre will sound low.

Sometimes the Auto setup will get these wrong and you can end up with an unbalanced sound.

If you go into the setup menu, then into manual setup, you can check and if necessary change these levels.

If all the front three are roughly the same distance from the listening position, I would suggest these should be set roughly the same.

Give it a go and see if it makes a difference.

A

Anonymous

Ah ok now I know what you mean-)

I already changed the volume of the centre speaker,but even with a higher volume,I can't say that dialogues are very clear and full of detail.

The Whf review said that "the Yamaha has the edge over Denon's AVR-2310 when it comes to the processing and steering of surround effects, but that lack of dialogue clarity and fine detail counts against it."

But my question stays the same,Do I have to update my amp or my speakers?

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I would suggest that the description given by WHF review team and your own personal experience means the amp is in need of replacement - you seem to confirm their findings.

If it's fairly new, you could approach the retailer and ask about a swap?

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

I have someone who wants to buy my amp for a good price,I was thinking about upgrading to a Pioneer lx 82 or Sony Es 5400 if I can find one(second hand would be ok to)but than I think that I have to upgrade the speakers too.

A

Anonymous

I'm sure you will hear a huge difference in the speakers you have if you upgrade to either of those AVRs, you could always upgrade your speakers at a later date. And of course either of those AVRs would benefit from a better speaker package.

A

Anonymous

With one of those amps a speaker upgrade is wishfull I think,because even with the 1065 the surrounds are at their limits if I use 75%of the Yamaha.

Witch one would be superior?The Sony 5400 of Pioneer lx 82?

A

Anonymous

It would be down to your personal preference really, but both AVRS where really well thought of when they came out.

For me the LX82 would be the choice due to it's ICE amplification.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts