Cente speaker large or small?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
just interested if ppl run their centres as large or small - seems to be a number of different ideas on this

i have a large centre ma pl150 which the auto setup set to large but i have now changed to small and set the crossover to 60hz and seems to sound fuller now

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
If you set it to large, the centre will ahve to deal with full range. Set it to small, and it has less to deal with - the frequencies it no longer has to deal with are sent to the main speakers or the sub, depending how the system is set up. Which front L and R are you using? Generally, centre speakers that aren't the same size or capability as the front pair are best set to small.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
see thats another area of discussion - for example what hi fi in the set up guides suggest setting the speakers to large unless your using a sub sat system but also read some notes by a guy from audessey that said you should always set all to small if you have a good sub - seems strange such conflicting theories

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Well you did say that you went from large to small and noticed an improvement. There's no right or wrong - only preferences. My preference would be to set the crossover at about 60Hz and let the sub do the rest. Maybe even 70Hz. Experimentation is the key to salvation
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS