CDP isolation

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Got feet already don't it?

Have you suddenly embarked on a new hobby of indoor jackhammer racing (whilst listening to the hi-fi via soundproof wireless headphones) or installed a spin-dryer next to the system?

Have the electricity bills forced you to put a diesel powered generator in the living room?

Do you situate the CD player on top of a subwoofer cabinet?

What problem has made you decide to investigate CD player isolation now?

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
All the way through I've always sat the cd player on top of my sizeable Onkyo amp, and trawling the forum for various things I keep seeing it mentioned that isolation is key. I've never experimented with it

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I would encourage you to experiment, especially if you can do so at little cost.

IMO. You gain valuable experience, whether you hear changes or not. I have found different materials have differing effects on the sound, but you may find little difference (or not, as the case may be).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
GMK said:
... I've always sat the cd player on top of my sizeable Onkyo amp...

Ok. Well that's out because of potential ventilation issues for the amp. (And excessive warming of the CDP if the Onkyo gets that hot.)

You just need some means of keeping the units seperate (that allows decent airflow around the amp).

It doesn't have to be some 'boutique' hi-fi furniture costing many £100s (or more).

A lot of people have found some excellent solutions in IKEA.

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Where the kit currently has to go, a hifi rack would be too low and hidden, so it's all currently at one raised level. The other day I took all my equipment to my partner's place and even moving the items from a solid wooden floor onto a solid wooden table, on a thick rug, on said wooden floor made a large improvement to the sound quality

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
GMK said:
All the way through I've always sat the cd player on top of my sizeable Onkyo amp, and trawling the forum for various things I keep seeing it mentioned that isolation is key. I've never experimented with it

You could try a granite chopping board, but I find them to be quite cold and hard sounding, conversely, the square of carpet and underlay gave a much warmer presentation.

An old chopping block was used at one point, but the sound became very dull and wooden, so I then tried a polished aluminium base plate made from some offcut that was about 1/4" thick and this made the sound a bit bright.

So in retrospect, perhaps with a combination of 'isolation' materials you could tailor the sound to your requirements, personally though, I'd use the tone controls or EQ. ;)

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I agree the only real reason is to get it away from the amp for heat/ventilation purposes. I'd just get 4 wooden cubes (about 50p ?). I used this when my AVR & BDP had to share a shelf.

You could try putting a glass of water on your amp, if it resembles the T Rex scene from Jurassic Park then worry about vibration. I'm guessing it won't though.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
GSB said:
In terms of isolation should underlay be added to the carpet...that must give a warm presentation :grin:

No, it's definitely the s h a g pile carpet giving the warmth, but the underlay did provide an additional lush undertone to the whole setup.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Lol.... this could go on for a while.

Try a pair of squash balls cut in half under each leg.

Gives you height over the amp and space for better ventalation.

or you could try sitting the amp on the player, cdp on some jenga blocks, with the squash balls between cdp & amp. the weight of the amp will kill any vibrations it may get from your room.

Please let us know how you get on - you can hear differences from surfaces, you sound like you have a good system there.

TRENDING THREADS