CD transport on the cheap?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Hey guys looking to get a cd transport for my audio lab dac.. My rega planet is beginning to make sound i can hear, espcially at night time. I got the very first planet player. So looks like its done its time. I had a pioneer cd recorder which I tried to use but that has packed up. The palyer just makes horrible noise & will not load. So it seems like I need a new cd transport.

Any ideals guy.. Cheers!!

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
while the noise is not from the lens but from the top loading of the rega cd player. Top clip that holds the cd into place has got a wubble effect which i can hear at night time.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Native_bon said:
If am correct must be about 10yrs since this model came out. But no harm in trying.

Native_bon said:
I got the very first planet player.

It was Rega's first CD player and it was launched in 1996. The replacement Rega Planet 2000 was launched in (yes) 2000. So your machine is somewhere between 16 and 12 years old.

A little searching shows this problem is not uncommon. People have managed to fix it themselves...

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1150428995

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I dont subscribe to the dedicated cd transport sounds better theory, mostly because of a lack of experience in that particular (usually expensive) area so I've never bothered to even investigate it but I understand that some do. - There are plenty of highly acclaimed single box players, many of those not even using dedicated cd transports anymore but made for computer drives.

I would just buy a cheap player with a digital out, perhaps even BluRay if you dont already have one and use it with your Audiolab (Rega?) DAC.

regards

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Am actually thinking of getting a universal player, so could use this as a transport as well. Thanx guys for all your input. I since upgraded to a cambrigde audio 840c player about 4 years ago, but the dac went. Took it for repairs & they asking for £160.00. Also this was the second problem with the 840c. So decided to get a dac instead, & use my old rega as transport. Oh main while will try if i can play around with the cover on the rega. I bought this player bout 10 years ago. looks like its days are over.

Cash is kind of tight right now, but in the future looking to upgrade to much better dac or source.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts