CD QUALITY Neil Young

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am interested to know whether the recently released remastered albums from Neil Young (2009) like After the Goldrush and Harvest are an improvement over the original CD's taken from Vinyl.

Does anyone know whether they sound better or do I need a HDCD player or SACD player to get the best sound?

matthewpiano

Well I've bought the new remasters of Harvest and After The Goldrush so far and I think they are a massive improvement over the older CDs. Harvest sounds so much cleaner but without losing any of its warmth and on both records you can now actually identify the backing singers without reading the liner notes.

I'm certainly going to buy the other two remasters now.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Inter 84:
I am interested to know whether the recently released remastered albums from Neil Young (2009) like After the Goldrush and Harvest are an improvement over the original CD's taken from Vinyl.

Does anyone know whether they sound better or do I need a HDCD player or SACD player to get the best sound?

I'm intrigued too. In fact, I'm going to buy a couple tomorrow. Sadly, in true geek fashion, I already own the vinyl, the first CD issue and the recent Blu Ray of all of these albums. (Well, nearly all in BD format are included in the recent Archive set).

The Blu Ray versions sound fantastic but I'm keen to hear what the new CD versions sound like, knowing what a sound obsessive Neil appears to be.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
I`m looking forward to hearing these. Being playing quite a bit of Neil Young lately and a headphone session with the latest remasters sounds very appealing.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies. So you think they will sound better on a standard CD player and not a HDCD or SACD player? I already have around 10 of his albums, not sure whether to get the newer versions.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Matthew looking forward to the albums again, especially his first one at a better quality.

Cheers :)

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I've given two of the new NY remasters a listen (Neil Young & Harvest) and I'll concur with MattP, they are a fuller, warmer and more detailed listen than the first CD issue.

Nothing can save the first album sonically though. In the recent Archives Neil himself describes the whole sorry recording/processing botch up that led to the poor sound on his solo debut.

Intriguingly, he's sent out an "HD mix" of the track, Here We Are In The Years, which does sound like the dust has been wiped off the original version. It's a gorgeous improvement on a slight but lovely piece of mildy, psych-pastoral Neil.

All in all, having had an albeit cursory comparative listen my preferences lie with the BD versions of these songs from his first four "solo" albums. They're like a slightly rounder take on the current CD remasters.

Too many versions going on here. . .back to the music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts