CD players on the way out?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BillDay66:
matthewpiano:In reality then, perhaps if you had a seperate DAC, exactly the same as that inside the Marantz, lossless files could well have sounded as good as the CDs. Interesting stuff.

Thats how I understand it, I would guess the DAC in the KI to be superior to the DM, at least in as far as RS is concerned in this case.

Hardly surprising, the KI costs (If I found the right figures) 3 times what the DM does and only a fraction of that will be the CD mechanism (a trifling cost really).

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Having owned the Dacmagic, I feel that it was probably not as good as some people would have you believe. So I am not surprised people prefer mid range CD players.

manicm

matthewpiano:In reality then, perhaps if you had a seperate DAC, exactly the same as that inside the Marantz, lossless files could well have sounded as good as the CDs. Interesting stuff.

Having the same DAC doesn't make animals equal. There are much lesser DACs which are the same as in a Linn DS for example. Then there is the analogue outputs which will make a big difference as well.

The DAC chip is not the be-all and end-all.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
the record spot:Ah, no, not in the end. I tried the DM with the CDP and it detracted from the performance. A straight run between the two and the KI won out. No matter what I played through the DM, the music took on a more sterile presentation (my choice of words, others might prefer that sound). The Marantz made it more dynamic. It was pretty noticeable in the end; moreso than I first thought.

It would appear from that that it was the sound from the DM that you didn't like, not the format of the input. For what it is worth, my Apple TV playing through a Caiman DAC into a Roksan K2 amp sounds exactly like the K2 CD player (which is why I sold it). Not similar, not equal, not "as good as" but identical. My DVD acting as a transport sounds a tad bright, just for comparison. I guess it is about balance in the set up

PS:- There has been quite a few posts that iTunes doesn't sound as good on a windows machine as when on a Mac (or as good as other players). I don't know why, just saying.....

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
SonofSun:Having owned the Dacmagic, I feel that it was probably not as good as some people would have you believe. So I am not surprised people prefer mid range CD players.

emotion-21.gif
i was never really happy with mine and thought the kandy cdp i had was better.

echo the other comment about itunes on windows, no personal experience, but read a lot of accounts saying it's not bit perfect in windows or at least needs some tweaking.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:canuck2:I was not referring to ripped cds through your comp.

No, you weren't, I was, that's the point I'm trying to make, everybody nay-saying the idea of computer-based-music is whinging about how downloads don't provide the same experience or you can't get hold of decent quality music off the net. My point is and always has been, you don't need to download anything to listen to digitally streamed music, you don't need to sacrifice any quality and you don't need a CD player.

I was referring to downloads off the internet . I use my MD to do recording . It's just the same as your format except yours holds more material and it's probably faster

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about now. MD, mini-disc? From what I recall that's a lossy format, in which case it isn't the same as ripping a CD to FLAC, as that's lossless.

Where does your assumption of alternative to cd come from? I made no such reference.

Hmm, well, that's the topic of this thread, are CD players on the way out? If they are, then it can only be because there's a viable alternative, which is what we're discussing, is there such an alternative? What are you talking about?

Get your facts straight, fella . I'm out of here .

Oh my facts are geometrically lined up and ready to go son...

Your right, I was in some ways whinging it . Upon further reading quality downloads are presumably a format for the future . As for Mds , to me it's all the same . Your transferring information from one unit to another . So that being said I will confine myself to the lower decks of the titanic . I stand corrected . What is a lossy file and lossless file ?

I really don't see computer based music on my agenda . My next step will be a return to vinyl along with keeping my current medium - of course .

A

Anonymous

Ihc , upon reading other members threads you come off as an arrogant individual . You belittle them and insulted me . Ive read a another one of your posts and I came to the same conclusion . You seem to be the guru of all gurus and that's pathetic . I think you should owe me an apology as well as for some other individuals . If you are a young educated person then I can understand your behavior and if your the same age as me you should be ashamed of yourself . Have yourself a nice day .

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
canuck2:Ihc

Jebus, it's an "L"!

upon reading other members threads you come off as an arrogant individual . You belittle them and insulted me.

Why? Because I tell people when they wrong about something?

Ive read a another one of your posts and I came to the same conclusion . You seem to be the guru of all gurus and that's pathetic. I think you should owe me an apology as well as for some other individuals.

Well you're not going to get it. All I've done is pointed out factual and logical inaccuracies in what you were saying, if you think that makes me arrogant and belittling then that's your problem.

If you are a young educated person then I can understand your behavior

Really? Why does being young or educated excuse it, if you think I've done something wrong then surely it's wrong regardless of my age or background?

and if your the same age as me you should be ashamed of yourself.

Without knowing how old you are there's no response I can make to that.

Have yourself a nice day.

I do, on the whole.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Well from the OP asking for opinions if the CD is a medium on the way out, it's turned in to an argument of which format is best and to the point of "mine's better than yours". Slightly off point I think.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sizzers:Well from the OP asking for opinions if the CD is a medium on the way out, it's turned in to an argument of which format is best and to the point of "mine's better than yours". Slightly off point I think.

To be fair it was always going to, those who think CD has had its day will pour forth with why their format du jour is better, those who like CDs will present counter-arguments.

CD isn't dead yet but like any format, it's only a matter of time. How much time is another matter, as yet the "computer based" systems aren't mature enough and the proliferation of different solutions is only confusing the market, once one format and method of delivery emerges (that every manufacturer can offer, just like CD!) it's likely that will accelerate the acceptance of such systems in the home.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts