cd player

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

No frog, can`t just agree with someone. Why not make your own statement. Have you ever purchased a hi fi component because of a favourable review. If not, then why not.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="karlk"]

ok back on track. would it be foolish to make a purchase based on a review and if so WHY!

And i have no disagreement about enjoying myself in a good shop/ demo room, but i want to make off the shelf purchases based on reviews.

[/quote]

Speakers are heavily room dependant. No listening session by a mag will replicate your room. Review results on products can vary widely, depending on what magazine you happen to read.

Never mind.

A

Anonymous

why the "never mind" drummerman, i`m enjoying this debate with you, however there`s no need to be flippant.

So lets carry on, I take your advise and go to a shop / demo room for listening. Tell me the procedure I should go through to make a cd player purchase. You know my system and i like all music. looking forward to your reply.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="karlk"]So lets carry on[/quote]

Simple, use your ears, choose, try at home and if happy ... purchase. Perhaps you end up with what the mag recommended, perhaps not. You may find items you did'nt even know about. You might even spend less then you thought you had to then again you may find that its worth spending more. You may find that an item you considered because of a review does'nt look as nice as it did on print and does'nt gel with your system/place.

How would you evaluate any of the above without listening to it or do they not matter at all?

A

Anonymous

ok. first, looks would never play a part. I`m not driving in asda`s car park doing pimp my ride for approval. Second: use my ears, of course. I can tell the difference between an audible sound and a noise that irritates me. Third: Completely ignore the salesman. Fourth: choose my components and play some of my favourite tracks and some of my not so favourable. Fifth: Probably stand there completely dumbstruck because i liked them all. Sixth: More than likely strecth my budget and buy. Something missing though! Can`t realy see the difference between that and making a purchase based on a review. Lets steeer the subject slightly. go a bit deeper to whats music was about, expression, feeling, memories. How many artists took hi fi components into comsideration when they were ( are ) writing songs and music. Many people love classical, dont think mozart was considering the output sound on a hi fi when writing. And before you start, yes i know some companies are trying to replicate the true sound, but thats it. Trying to replicate and tell us how it should sound when we listen to it. However, walk into a HI FI shop, enter the demo room and i`m instantly an expert because i chose the audiphile route. I dont think so, probably 50% off purchases are on the back of marketing, the manufacturers know this. All this is between you and me drummerman and i value your input, but i`m waiting for the big guns to come out with their opinion.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="karlk"]All this is between you and me drummerman and i value your input, but i`m waiting for the big guns to come out with their opinion.[/quote]

"pop"

Oops, that was the sound of my little gun going off.

A

Anonymous

i personally like reviews as i find them really informative. not everyone knows exactly what they want and what to look out for!!!
On a slightly more contentious point i dont mind admitting i wouldn't buy a cdp or amp that sounded heavenly if it looked like a toilet!!!!!!! looks matter as does build quality as does sound (most impt lest i get pilloried). (IMHO)

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I might be wrong, but I think karl is winding you up.

See this thread

[quote user="karlk"]
Hi to everyone, been reading the forum for a few weeks now and find it very informative. I have been reading the What hi Fi mag on and off for a few years now, mainly product reviews ( stereo hi fi only ). One question I have that confuses me with the reviews is when they talk about the timing of the speakers, can someone please explain this as im sure its something that I will need to know if I am auditioning new Hi Fi components.

thanks

karl
[/quote]

To me, the quote is at odds with the current thread.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"]I'm assuming you mean 'you're' ?[/quote]

sorry should be "you are" and you got a water problem, cos you quoted about toilets and baths.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="PJPro"]I might be wrong, but I think karl is winding you up[/quote]

Clever man pj pro. But to be honest, I was testing the water.

A

Anonymous

Its called exposure, nothing to do with the company exposure. Its about people rowing the boat to paradise and someone tells you, your going the wrong way. they dont like it and row faster in the wrong direction.

thank you and good night.

karl has left the forum.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts