admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, looking for a new cd player. Current set up is: Quad 99 pre / Quad 99 stereo amp with Focal 816v speakers, merlin C12 speaker cable, chord chorus interconnects and exposure 2010 cd player. I have just added the Focals, put my MA GR10`s to one side as i wanted some more depth, replaced my MF V3 pre amp with the Quad 99 pre and now want to add a new cd player, budget £1000. Any thoughts:

cheers

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We're just conducting a £850-£1200 CD player Supertest at the moment - very, very interesting exercise. Results in June issue, on sale 1st May.

If you can't wait that long, there are some great new/updated models out from Naim, Leema, Moon and Roksan you should hear. And I run the Quad pre/power at home with a Densen B420 CD player (£1400, sure there are deals), which has the bite to balance the more laid-back presentation of the Quads, without losing any of their revealing, appealing midrange....

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="karlk"]

Hi, looking for a new cd player. Current set up is: Quad 99 pre / Quad 99 stereo amp with Focal 816v speakers, merlin C12 speaker cable, chord chorus interconnects and exposure 2010 cd player. I have just added the Focals, put my MA GR10`s to one side as i wanted some more depth, replaced my MF V3 pre amp with the Quad 99 pre and now want to add a new cd player, budget £1000. Any thoughts:

cheers

[/quote]

Quad?
emotion-3.gif

A

Anonymous

no, the cdp2 has good reviews and the straight 99 not so good, imo do what you do good and lets others do what you can`t, if i decide to upgrade my back end i want the front to have a chance.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="karlk"]
no, the cdp2 has good reviews and the straight 99 not so good, imo do what you do good and lets others do what you can`t, if i decide to upgrade my back end i want the front to have a chance.

[/quote]

The thing is matey reviews are only a basic guideline, if you like the matching quad amp then theres a good chance you will like the player to,

id get an audition, think it woulde be a fools move not to....at least give the quad player a listen.

A

Anonymous

I hear what you are saying, however i buy the mag so i can buy off the shelf and if im honest its because i can`t be bothered to go round and listen to demos. The reviews are about opinions of products and a final conclusion of what is the best ( opinion ) thats why i buy what hifi, because i trust these people that dedicate their time to do this. I know that there are better cd manufacturers out there other than quad, lets face it, what would you have Quad 11L speakers or monitor audio gold reference 10`s.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="karlk"]
I hear what you are saying, however i buy the mag so i can buy off the shelf and if im honest its because i can`t be bothered to go round and listen to demos. The reviews are about opinions of products and a final conclusion of what is the best ( opinion ) thats why i buy what hifi, because i trust these people that dedicate their time to do this. I know that there are better cd manufacturers out there other than quad, lets face it, what would you have Quad 11L speakers or monitor audio gold reference 10`s.

[/quote]

I understand where your coming from...........kinda, hehe.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="cse"]
I have the densen B420 as well, with a roksan caspian amp. What speakers do you use Clare?

[/quote]

Mordaunt Short Performance 6s - gorgeous! Details of several of our systems here.

A

Anonymous

dont get me wrong, love my music but i need it to take me places. I really dont want to get into the

technical side of it, have enough of technical every day for 8 hours. Nice sound, few cans, bottle of wine and see ya later.

A

Anonymous

Hi, my current set up is: Quad 99 pre / Quad 909 stereo amp/quad cdp-2, with Focal 816v speakers,atlas hyper 3.0 speaker cable,crystal cable piccolo interconnect. Would be nice to compare these two setups to see what are the week points of mine or yours. Anyway , preamp is not doing much good for the system (not much bad either), but makes everything much more simple, sound is better when you connect cdp-2 directly to the 909 amp, but it's a drag to turn it on and of by hand every time you want to enjoy music. I'm also thinking of changing speakers and looking for some suggestions from some quad freaks or experts. Don't get me wrong, system sounds really good, but how good can it be, that's the question.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"][quote user="cse"]
I have the densen B420 as well, with a roksan caspian amp. What speakers do you use Clare?

[/quote]

Mordaunt Short Performance 6s - gorgeous! Details of several of our systems here.

[/quote]
Highly jealous thread starts HERE!
emotion-5.gif
jules

A

Anonymous

[quote user="karlk"]I hear what you are saying, however i buy the mag so i can buy off the shelf and if im honest its because i can`t be bothered to go round and listen to demos.[/quote]

Er... oh never mind.

A

Anonymous

Er... oh never mind.

Have I just had the pleasure of your literacy capacity? Farmer boy.

A

Anonymous

Oh sod it, I'll at least try.

Just because a bit of kit gets a 5 star review doesn't mean you're going to enjoy it. It may not go with your current set up, musical tastes, or it may just not be to your taste sonically.

I recently went to buy some new speakers and auditioned 3 different models, two of which got 5 star reviews. Of the three, it so happened that I walked away with one of the 5 star pairs. The other pair of critically lauded speakers did absolutely nothing for me at all, and I would have been bitterly disappointed if I'd bought them on the strength of their consistently excellent reviews, then got them home to find I'd spent nearly £400 on a pair of speakers that I didn't really enjoy that much. That fact that the reviewers rate them so highly would have been no consolation at all.

From your kit listing, it looks like you're pretty serious about your hi fi, so I would trust your ears rather than someone else's. Reviewers' opinions are a great way to whittle down a multitude of options to a realistic-length audition list, but I want to take it from there.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="karlk"]
Er... oh never mind.

Have I just had the pleasure of your literacy capacity? Farmer boy.
[/quote]

That's Mr Tractorboy to you.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Thats a naive way to buy but its your cash.

Why post a question here though when you can just pick up a copy of the magazine and choose accordingly??

A

Anonymous

Only naive if you plan to purchase for long term or thinking of a good resale value in the future. However, lets forget the cost issues and get back to the debate. How many of you out there would have a clue of what system seperates to consider without the review sources available. Seems to me that most of the replies are of stereo type Jargon, asssuming comments. How many have access to test so many individual components! Would love to know the stats on it, 1/100 - 1/1000 maybe. Another favourite question that pops up regular " what type of music do you listen to" and the answer very often is " all sorts, rock, soul, jazz, classical" . Surely the manufacturers and reviews are based on a much broader spectrum than what is talked about, does anyone realy want to limit their system playing abilities, speaking generically with enthusiasts respected. I would like the thoughts from some of the What Hi fi review team to step in here and tell me that i would be spending my money in a naive fashion if I was to purchase on their review conclusion.

karl

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="karlk"]How many of you out there would have a clue of what system seperates to consider without the review sources available.[/quote]

I practically live in a hifi retail outlet, time permitting. Mate owns one
emotion-2.gif
This gives me access to a lot of new and old equipment. With that comes a little bit of experience collected over the years and also stories of people coming to the shop trying to repair/avoid mistakes they made such as buying stuff on the back of reviews only. Plenty of examples on this forum too. I'm not arguing with you about the usefullness of reviews as a guide to shortlist or an encyclopedia to product ranges and a bit of fun to read but thats about it.

[quote user="karlk"]does anyone realy want to limit their system playing abilities, speaking generically with enthusiasts respected[/quote]

Everything HIFI is a compromise of some sort, most things in life are. I like my system/s to do everything well and purchase with that in mind but its a sad fact that they do some things better than others.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="karlk"]does anyone realy want to limit their system playing abilities, speaking generically with enthusiasts respected[/quote]

Everything HIFI is a compromise of some sort, most things in life are. I like my system/s to do everything well and purchase with that in mind but its a sad fact that they do some things better than others.
[/quote]

Exactly, you can be biased but i wont believe that a manufacturer would future proof components to a type of music. My point being that in general terms the question " type of music" meaningless.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Ok, I kind of lost track where this is going but dont you think you'd benefit (perhaps even enjoy) from a good dealer dem? Might be an ear opener ...

A

Anonymous

ok back on track. would it be foolish to make a purchase based on a review and if so WHY!

And i have no disagreement about enjoying myself in a good shop/ demo room, but i want to make off the shelf purchases based on reviews.

TRENDING THREADS