cd player with a volume control ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 188516
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 188516

can anybody please suggest a cd player that has a volume control feature so i can use it with a pair of active speakers ?

my budget it £500 max and the unit needs to be brand new as i am not interested in buying 2nd hand.

years ago i used to own a sony cdp xb930e uk tuned cd player that had a volume control on it . i always wondered why it had this feature and i often wish i had not sold it..

any suggestions will be appreciated.

D

Deleted member 108165

Surely your active speakers will have a volume control on them and the CD player will feed your speakers at line level. What model of active speakers have you got?

Generally the volume control on CD players is for the headphone out socket.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 188516

the sony unit did not have a headphone socket. i presume the volume control was to allow it to be connected direct to a power amp ?

the active speakers i'm considering have volume controls but no remote !

Gray

the sony unit did not have a headphone socket. i presume the volume control was to allow it to be connected direct to a power amp ?

the active speakers i'm considering have volume controls but no remote !
Your Sony would certainly have allowed connection to a power amp (or just level matching with other sources into an integrated). On some old players the v/c did both headphones and line out simultaneously.
Presumably you'd like the control closer to the player than the speakers. You can buy in-line volume controls.
Better still, if you're OK with a drill and soldering iron, making your own could be a nice little project - a high quality control in a small metal enclosure, hard wired, or with gold chassis sockets, wouldn't be remote controlled, but then neither was your Sony's v/c was it?
If you want some ideas, have a look at this. He's using a switch (which you wouldn't need) and his own choice of sockets, but it shows what you could do:
It's no bodge. The control he's used would (almost certainly) be of better quality than that in your old Sony and possibly the one in the active speakers too.

Last edited:

daytona600

£299 for one of these & you can stream , preamp & headphone amp
£100 for Dvd/Bluray/cd player as a transport via coax in or get the matching project unit
USB input for computer & Otpical for your TV

.319project.rem.jpg

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I know you’re not interested in buying second hand. But personally I would seriously consider getting yourself another Sony CDP-XB930.

Ive had mine 20 years and it’s still perfect. There is usually a few on the usual auction sites to choose from.

D

Deleted member 188516

thanks for the suggestions however d.i.y is not for me and i want to keep the box count as low as possible. will look into sourcing another sony 930 !

Reactions: Gray

Linny

Nov 16, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I still have a Pioneer 8700 CD player, this has 2 line out sets of outputs, one of which has a volume control which can be operated with the remote. Still a nice player.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts