cd player with a volume control ?

plus 1

Dec 5, 2019
can anybody please suggest a cd player that has a volume control feature so i can use it with a pair of active speakers ?

my budget it £500 max and the unit needs to be brand new as i am not interested in buying 2nd hand.

years ago i used to own a sony cdp xb930e uk tuned cd player that had a volume control on it . i always wondered why it had this feature and i often wish i had not sold it..

any suggestions will be appreciated.

plus 1

Dec 5, 2019
the sony unit did not have a headphone socket. i presume the volume control was to allow it to be connected direct to a power amp ?

the active speakers i'm considering have volume controls but no remote !

Gray

Nov 27, 2015
the sony unit did not have a headphone socket. i presume the volume control was to allow it to be connected direct to a power amp ?

the active speakers i'm considering have volume controls but no remote !
Your Sony would certainly have allowed connection to a power amp (or just level matching with other sources into an integrated). On some old players the v/c did both headphones and line out simultaneously.
Presumably you'd like the control closer to the player than the speakers. You can buy in-line volume controls.
Better still, if you're OK with a drill and soldering iron, making your own could be a nice little project - a high quality control in a small metal enclosure, hard wired, or with gold chassis sockets, wouldn't be remote controlled, but then neither was your Sony's v/c was it?
If you want some ideas, have a look at this. He's using a switch (which you wouldn't need) and his own choice of sockets, but it shows what you could do:
It's no bodge. The control he's used would (almost certainly) be of better quality than that in your old Sony and possibly the one in the active speakers too.

Last edited:

daytona600

Oct 5, 2012
£299 for one of these & you can stream , preamp & headphone amp
£100 for Dvd/Bluray/cd player as a transport via coax in or get the matching project unit
USB input for computer & Otpical for your TV

.319project.rem.jpg

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
I know you’re not interested in buying second hand. But personally I would seriously consider getting yourself another Sony CDP-XB930.

Ive had mine 20 years and it’s still perfect. There is usually a few on the usual auction sites to choose from.

plus 1

Dec 5, 2019
thanks for the suggestions however d.i.y is not for me and i want to keep the box count as low as possible. will look into sourcing another sony 930 !

Reactions: Gray

Linny

Nov 16, 2019
Hi,

I still have a Pioneer 8700 CD player, this has 2 line out sets of outputs, one of which has a volume control which can be operated with the remote. Still a nice player.

Reactions: Gray

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts