CD Player upgrade.

lbafsaj

Feb 28, 2008
Visit site
Have been running a Marantz CD63SE for 15 years and now looking to upgrade. Don't want to go down the harddrive path as an old fashioned music lover, I prefer to play a disc with a proper disc spinner. Have seen the Cyrus CD6S at good prices on the web, but would I get better results with the Cambridge DAC added to my Marantz. Or any other ideas for a good upgrade player for around £ 400.

A

Anonymous

My Meridian 506.20 was £1200 when new and I wondered whether a Cambridge Audio DACmagic would help, so I took the plunge given its price and reviews.

I am extremely pleased with the improvement in detail and presentation. I had intended to use it with my Denon DVD player but I knew the Cambridge was superior to the DAC in my aged Meridian, which has an excellent transport.

My other components are Densen B200 preamp, Densen DM30 power amp, Harbeth HL3P-ES monitors and REL Strata II. So my system is quite revealing. Also if my Meridian fails - I will not replace it with a costly one but look for a modest player with a decent transport (maybe second hand).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
lbafsaj:Have been running a Marantz CD63SE for 15 years and now looking to upgrade. Don't want to go down the harddrive path as an old fashioned music lover, I prefer to play a disc with a proper disc spinner.

The DacMagic is a capital idea for the CD upgrade. It will also afford you the opportunity to compare directly the CD63SE/Dacmagic set-up with CDs ripped losslessly to your computer and played back via the same DacMagic.

This (of course) will confirm to you that your prejudice against music ripped losslessly to HD is correct. (Or maybe not.)

A

Anonymous

I'll join the crowd on this one as well. Use your Marantz as a transport and couple it to a good DAC. Apparently the DacMagic is excellent.

A

Anonymous

This CA DacMagic at £200 is becoming a bit of a legend! I might have to get one just to play around with the options too. I really don't think you can go wrong as I'm sure it'd sell instantly on ebay.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
lbafsaj:Have been running a Marantz CD63SE for 15 years and now looking to upgrade. Don't want to go down the harddrive path as an old fashioned music lover, I prefer to play a disc with a proper disc spinner. Have seen the Cyrus CD6S at good prices on the web, but would I get better results with the Cambridge DAC added to my Marantz. Or any other ideas for a good upgrade player for around £ 400.

There are some corking new budget CD players coming out if you aren't tempted by the DACMagic - we've got the review of the new £315 NAD player coming up in our next issue (out in less than two weeks), and it'll be followed by new kit from Cambridge Audio and Marantz.

T

the record spot

More than likely the SA7003, the successor to the SA7001. The KI version is the 8003 (Marantz have dumped adding a "-KI" onto the new line up of 2 channel kit).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts