CD player to match Rotel and Kef

bballtom

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
I have a Rotel RA-1070 amplifier with a pair of Kef Q500, I currently use my old Pioneer CD recorder but I’m looking for a new (or second hand) CD player.

Has anyone got any recommendations to match that pair? I haven’t set a budget yet so open to all suggestions from budget to mid range.

I listen to quite a wide range of music from rock through to dance

Azam

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Agree with the other posts but would also recommend that you audition the Marantz CD 6003 (mid range) and the Audiolab 8200 (higher-end). I have had a lot of Rotel, Audiolab, Kef, Marantz stuff over the last 24 years and found Marantz and Rotel worked really well for me. However, I have not auditioned the KEF Q500 speakers so not sure which combination would work best. If you are in no rush, I would also try and find a used Rotel RCD -1072. Good Luck.

A

Anonymous

What's your budget?

My recomendations would be:

NAD C545BEE, 2nd hand Rega Apollo or Arcam CD192, Arcam CD17, Cyrus 6SE or a Musical Fidelity X-Ray (if you can find one)

I'd be keeping my eyes on these very closely:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-Apollo-CD-Player-/170682201598?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item27bd73b5fe

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARCAM-CD192-CD-Player-/290597881902?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item43a8fbc82e

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Musical-Fidelity-X-RAY-24-bit-CD-Player-RRP-800-/200642141259?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item2eb7341c4b

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAD-C545BEE-CD-Player-/250875113205?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item3a69526ef5

Personally; with your set-up I'd be aiming for the NAD or Rega; both are superb CDP's but they have the warmth that'll help controlk the openess and slight forwardness of the KEF speakers

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I tried the cd6003 with my q500s and found the sound a bit brittle on electronic music, maybe it was the pressing of the basement jaxx cd we were given to test with in store.The sound I get through spotify and my basic soundcard dac sounds better in the midrange with the speakers with no alterations to the levels.

I have also been recommended Arcam to use with my pm6003 but I'm looking to change to a beefier amp because the q500s tap out my pm6003 totally and I can really push them on the nad with the added safety of soft clipping mode.

Also what's your opinion on the speakers so far, I'm loving mine, just so much detail and strangely they don't sound like they need porting.

bballtom said:
I have a Rotel RA-1070 amplifier with a pair of Kef Q500, I currently use my old Pioneer CD recorder but I’m looking for a new (or second hand) CD player.

Has anyone got any recommendations to match that pair? I haven’t set a budget yet so open to all suggestions from budget to mid range.

I listen to quite a wide range of music from rock through to dance

Hi bballtom

Used/discontinued cd players to consider are Rotel RCD965BX, Pioneer PDS904 and the Marantz CD17KI MK2. If your Pioneer cd recorder has a digital output then Rega's DAC should do the trick nicely. The Rega DAC will also give you option of using other digital media.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
i have to agree i think Arcam is the way to go. iv got the rotel amp with a cd 73. you can pick up a cd 73 arcam on ebay from about £150 in mint condition, iv have my arcam cd 73 for nearly 5 years its a great all round player well built and sounds good with all music, it has great timing image and lots of detail. if your budget can stretch get the new arcam cd 17 iv heard it at my dealer it replaced the cd 73 same sound but a bit more polished. but please as always try and audition at your local dealer the audiolab 8200 is a little bit more cash but sounds awesome and marantz shold not be left out.

bballtom

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Cheers for the tips everyone, given me quite a bit to think about. Will have a look at the bank balance at the end of the month and make a choice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts