Cd Player to go with Musical Fidelity M6SI amp

peter h

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Finally in a position to replace my ageing Marantz Cd 63 mk 11 KI Signature cd player

Budget limited so looking at second hand I think. I love the amp so is the matching M6scd a good bet? or Naim cd5xs maybe*unknw*?

I listen to a lot of different styles but mainly rock/blues

Thanks for your help

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
peter h said:
Finally in a position to replace my ageing Marantz Cd 63 mk 11 KI Signature cd player

Budget limited so looking at second hand I think. I love the amp so is the matching M6scd a good bet? or Naim cd5xs maybe*unknw*?

I listen to a lot of different styles but mainly rock/blues

Thanks for your help

Hi

One of the other members here has the matching MF CDP and really likes it... what speakers do you use?

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Insider9.

I'm not a fan of MF. So I'd say it's more a case of getting an amplifier that's as good, relatively speaking, as the Marantz CD player.

Or more importantly, getting better speakers than Dali Zensor 5's, as suggested wisely by Iceman16 in 2014.

peter h

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Generally find the sound of marantz ok but is now noisy - I presume it is something to do with the mech that spins the discs - can hear it over quieter bits of music. Ready for a change I think - it is 15 or so years old. Thanks

Peter

peter h

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Finished up with Musical Fidelity M6scd - superb match and great sound for two weeks - Trouble is amp now gone faulty so back to Musical fidelity for repair

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Streaming is a good one to get into of course as nothing from the drive spinning for late night listening or subtle parts of some musical on low volume. That's what I'd have suggested as an alternate or addition if not already, but it's a good idea to buy a good CD player now, if current ones in a system a bit ropey. How many years left on mass market audiophile quality CD players being made? 5 years?

peter h

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi. The sound suddenly became harsh and loss of bass. I posted amp back to dealer who cannot hear anything wrong - I suspect something happened during transit loose connection somewhere?? The dealer has kindly sent It back to manufacturer for investigating and testing.

peter h

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Bought a Google chrome cast as a cheap way of trying streaming. Good to listen to lots of new music. However I am a bit of a dinosaur I suppose and Still prefer the physical product that I own and can read sleeve notes etc. It took me years to move from records to CD.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
peter h said:
Bought a Google chrome cast as a cheap way of trying streaming. Good to listen to lots of new music. However I am a bit of a dinosaur I suppose and Still prefer the physical product that I own and can read sleeve notes etc. It took me years to move from records to CD.

Not at all... you're not alone

I guess you checked the fault didn't lie with the speakers before sending the amp off?

Mac

peter h

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi. I did check with old Sony amp I had in loft - that sounds fine something seemed to happen just after I inadvertently played a dual disc in CD player, although I don't see how that could have affected anything. It's very frustrating as for two weeks I was getting a great sound I have been after for many a year. Not heard back from musical fidelity yet so hopefully they will find fault and rectify it

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
peter h said:
Hi. I did check with old Sony amp I had in loft - that sounds fine something seemed to happen just after I inadvertently played a dual disc in CD player, although I don't see how that could have affected anything. It's very frustrating as for two weeks I was getting a great sound I have been after for many a year. Not heard back from musical fidelity yet so hopefully they will find fault and rectify it

That's a real shame, fingers crossed it will be sorted soon.

Mac

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
peter h said:
There's your answer then. Use your Sony. Reject the MF amp and get a full refund. Sell the MF CD player and replace it with a good used £20 CD player. That would give you about £4000 back.

If you want to really improve the sound of your system, change the speakers - not necessarily for more expensive ones - instead of spending £thousands on peripheral components like the CD player and amplifier.

peter h

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your comment but I love the sound with my speakers and the MF amplifier and CD player - when it's all working of course. Do you not like the focal speakers I have?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
peter h said:
Thanks for your comment but I love the sound with my speakers and the MF amplifier and CD player - when it's all working of course. Do you not like the focal speakers I have?

As long as you like it, that's all that matters.

Mac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts