CD player recommendations for headphone rig?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

Currently, my set up is:

Graham Slee Novo

AKG K701s - with a "warmer", high-end set to be added when I can decide on one (WHF: a review of Denon's headphones would be appreciated...
emotion-2.gif
)

Oppo DV-983 (temporary source)

Now my Novo is burned in, it's time to look at replacing my source with a dedicate one. This set up will only be used with headphones, so amp problems obviously won't factor in.

I will be mainly playing classical and vocal based music on it, so I want something with excellent clarity and attention to detail (I enjoy hearing the extra production noises "behind" the track). But my number 1 priority is a player that conveys the emotional content of music (i.e. soul stirring); essential if you (like myself) are in to stringed solos...

I don't want to spend ridiculous amounts on a new source but I do believe that you (often) get what you pay for, so probably an absolute maximum of £1,000, providing I can find a buyer for my non-essential organs...
emotion-4.gif

Can anyone make any recommendations?

I am intrigued by the Cyrus CD8SE, but I'm not a massive fan of the looks unfortunately. I do however like the idea & look of some of the cheaper options (Marantz CD6002, Cambridge Audio Azur 640c V2, etc) and as upgrades exist for them, would getting one and then spending say £500 on upgrades (the maximum "level" I have found) make them good enough to beat an already £1k player? Or would it just be a waste?

As I'm going to the Sound & Vision show in a few weeks, I would like to go there with a short list to check out so your opinions will be helpful.

Thanks guys,

Tim

A

Anonymous

Hi,

The Denon's do offer a big improvement in sound quality over the AKG but yet again you pay well for it. If you are listening primarily via cans I would suggest you invest in a tube based headphone amp which will smooth the 701 out nicely.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Ok, thanks. My K7s are mainly used for my hobby (audio production) so when I get my "hifi" set, they won't be used with my Novo at all.

Any recommendations for a decent CD player that could do justice to anything upto Sennheiser HD800s (I'm really tempted...)

T

A

Anonymous

Why not go for the Benchmark DAC1 Pre (see link below) apparently its very transparent and doubles up as a 0-Ohm headphone amplifier, although it may sound a bit clinical with the AKG 701's maybe warm it up with a Little Dot Headphone amp (tube), I highly recommend them. As a source you can use a more budget CD player or PC.

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/system1/digital-analog-converter/dac1-pre

idc

mr_tg:

I will be mainly playing classical and vocal based music on it, so I want something with excellent clarity and attention to detail (I enjoy hearing the extra production noises "behind" the track). But my number 1 priority is a player that conveys the emotional content of music (i.e. soul stirring); essential if you (like myself) are in to stringed solos...

I like your descriptive about how you listen to music and what you are looking for. You have a better chance of finding kit you are happy with than someone who asks the usual 'which is better.'

Consider the Arcam range. My Arcam Alpha 7 and later CD62 worked very well with my GradoSR80s. I listen for clarity and sometimes like to follow different instruments during a track, but also need the spine tingling moments to come through. I also like quite a bright sound, as opposed to smooth, which I can find dull.

John Duncan

Couple of suggestions.

Firstly, try a Musical Fidelity player - either the X-Ray v3 or the A3 (which are basically the same player but in diffeent boxes, so choose according to which you prefer the look of). The MF owner Anthony Michaelson is a classically trained clarinetist, so knows a bit about what sounds good.

Secondly, consider a Cambridge 840C. not only is it a great player, but it has a digital in which you could use to feed lossless files to from your PC, which would take your listening up a notch - especially with 24/96 FLAC recordings from the likes of Linn.

(alternatively, you could eschew a player all together, use your computer as your source as above, and get a good DAC - from the £120 Beresford upwards)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I don't really want to use my PC as a main source as I prefer the quicker "boot up" of a CDP & my GS amp (I won't be replacing the amp). I use my FLACs to help in making compilations, hence I haven't bothered with a DAC for my PC. It is my music library (i.e. storage), not my player as (without a DAC) and CDP would be better.

I think both the Arcam & Cambridge Audio players are some of the best looking you can buy. And British engineers have always been renowned for devoting themselves to creating the best they can; not that others don't, but mass produced isn't made with "soul"...

I have to admit, the 840C did definitely catch my eye. Is it a major step up over the 740C? I only ask as the 840C is £750, but RicherS are selling the 740C on special for £300 (new) at the moment!! I will be getting some demos on as much equipment as possible, and I'll also be at the SaV show on Friday.

Also, thanks for commenting on my descriptive style. I feel it is always better to know what you want. At the end of the day if you can't tell what you're searching for, there's not much point in searching...

T

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I ended up buying a Cambridge Audio Azur 740C as it was on special at £299!
emotion-2.gif

Now I just have to decide on some "smoother" 'phones for my finished set up... The K701s were bought for their harsh, analytical listen (which has saved me a few times by highlighting flaws when in production), but now I have sorted out my CDP I can get a set of 'phones to match.

T

TRENDING THREADS