CD Player recomendations - sub £1000

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have a fairly decent if nothing fancy set-up: Exposure 2010 integrated and power amps, Kef Q5 speakers and a Pro-ject Xpression turntable. Problem? The CD player is letting the side down - a Marantz CD6000 is the only thing left over from my previous kit and it's being quite seriously shown up by the turntable right now.

I'm looking at spending around £800 on a new CD player but could stretch to maybe a grand if the right player was put in front of me. My friendly neighbourhood hi-fi dealer sent me away last year to wait for the entry level Densen (B-410?) to come out but I've read some quite disappointing reviews of it on-line. They also recommended the new Rega but I only have one top shelf on my rack and it's got a turntable on it, which makes top-loaders tricky.

I like a rich, but quite detailed sound. Involvement is a must as is a big wide sound. Essentially I want a CD player that sounds more like a turntable...

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Neil

EDIT - Should probably mention musical taste really. Pretty varied, but mostly good complex rock (Floyd, Jeff Buckley, Marillion), some pop/dance music (Doves, Muse, Faithless), a bit of jazz (Coltrane, Diana Krall) and the occasional classical afternoon (piano solos to big bombastic concertos); so player must be an all-rounder.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Cambridge audio 840c is one of the very best out there for under £800. Also consider Exposure 2010s cdp which now can be had for well under £500. By the way if you like progressive rock like Pink Floyd, have a listen to a pair of Neat Mystiques 2 speakers you will be amazed.

A

Anonymous

Thanks! I hadn't considered Cambridge Audio at all. In fact I didn't realise they worked in that market.

(just done a quick Google)

All this about richer midrange and open natural soundstaging sounds just the ticket. This upsampling thing though. Real benefit of techno-gimmick?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, you should...... tonally it is superb, it also times well and full with emotion. When I first heard this player I rate it higher than my Classe Cdp (my at that time) which cost £750 more! and the CA wasn't even run in!!! The weakness that I remember, very minor one, is the 840c lack the ultimate slam but then again not many CDP under £1000 can. Trust me facilities, build or sound quality nothing can come close to the Cambridge Azur 840C for under £800.

A

Anonymous

The core of my system is Exposure 2010 integrated and CD, not the "S" version which I read are much better.
I picked both these up cheap as the "S" series came in and they work so well together that I have considered
many upgrades, but not these components. I'm also using KEF IQ3 speakers and the overall combination
is very satisfying if you like fast pace and enjoy the excitement of the music. Heavy duty speaker cable really help. The 2010 CD will just about match my turntable (on good material) but I have spent about £1500 on
vinyl source - and, again, a £350 CD played comes very close - the "S" version probably closer.

I seriously recommend the 2010 CD player. It might lack detail but, to paraphase reviews, it "loves" the music
and really brings it to life. The 3010 is rated as "valve like" in its output and you might pick one of these
up cheap now the 3010S has been released. hmm might look for one myself.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that. I really love my Exposure amps - fell in love with the integrated 2010 out of the blue when auditioning amps. It was £100 over my budget but I raided the piggy bank and talked nicely to my friendly dealer who was sympathetic and cut me a deal =) I added the power amp when I bought the KEF speakers.

I will add their CD player to my audition list. I feel a fun weekend coming on!

A

Anonymous

Hello where can you find a Exposure 2010s for well under £500 ? Many thanks.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Might be worth giving Exposure a call (01273 423877) to see if they know of any of their dealers who might have a secondhand or ex-demo one.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
2ndhandhifi.co.uk have the Exposure 3010 (mint cond + phono stage) which sound bigger and have more control than 2010i for around £550.

A

Anonymous

I would go for the Cambridge if you like a sweet sound, or for the Naim5i if you like a clean sound.
Like always : listen in combination with your other equipment and at your own house, before you buy ...
kr,
~/Eric.

A

Anonymous

My local Richer Sounds has already offered me a CA 840 to play with at home. Hadn't considered Naim so that's another on the shortlist.

Speaking of which:

Cambridge Audio 840;
Exposure 3010 (I've seen one going for around £900);
Musical Fidelity A3.5;
Densen 410;
Naim 5i

Thanks for all the input folks. Any others gratefully received!

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
I actually did a direct comparison between the CA 840C and the Cyrus CD6s and thought the Cyrus clearly outperformed the CA. The Cyrus had much more detail, transparency and liveliness, so that's what I ended up buying.

But last night I had a bit of a revelation. I put my Cyrus up against a Shanling CD300 tube player. I've never been a fan of China products but I have to admit that the Shanling kicked the Cyrus' ass, and then some! It was better in every aspect and for only slightly more money than the Cyrus (where I live). If you search the internet, you'll find some places selling the Shanling even cheaper than the Cyrus. Build quality is quite amazing for the money and it even has a top loading drawer, ala Audionet Art G2.

Clare, Andrew, if you're listening... I've seen that you've had some quite positive reviews of two other Shanling players, but I think you might want to check this one out.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
even has a top loading drawer!!!! What so good about that then? It make no different to the sound "which ever way the cds are going in" I would love to hear the CD6s as I heard so many good thing about them, I hope this one not too bright!

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Well, if you believe the manufacturers, they'll say that there's a better chance for the CD to be clamped properly with a top loader rather than "dropping in" the CD with a drawer design.

And purely from a personal feel good factor, I rather like the feeling of putting in the CD and placing the magnetic puck on top (just like the Naims). There's something very intimate about doing that (yeah, I know, looks like I should get out more).

A

Anonymous

I'm interested in the upsampling thing but I'm not completely brainwashed. There's still part of me that says it's not going to be a substitute for a well designed and put together player without such technical wizardry. I'm a vinyl man at heart so I'm not easily convinced by technology! ;)

A

Anonymous

I haven't heard the 840C but I just ordered the 740C and my main reason for buying was the soudstage and separation - outstanding. The best thing would be to listen to it then swap immediately to another player and back.
I listened to it against a Yamaha player and it was a bizarre difference, almost as though the whole soundfield collapsed and muddied (with the Yamaha). I guess it depends what you're looking for but I played a fair range of different stuff on it - see this post - scroll to second post from the bottom.
So, if the 740 is anything to go on (still upsampling), then I bet the 840 is a belter. On paper the upsampling and Anagram software give the 740 and 840 some of the lowest digital jitter out there which can't be a bad thing.
One other bonus which i hadn't noticed in the brochure until after I'd ordered it is that the player has two sets of optical and coaxial inputs so you can use the player as an upsampling DAC for your other kit.
Obviously check out WHF but theres this good review of it here too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts