CD player for Bryston/Dynaudio system?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a CD player to match my system, which consists of a Bryston B60 intergrated amp and Dynaudio Audience 42 speakers.

My favourite music is Satana, various pop and soft rock, plus male and female vocals, I hardly listen to any classical at all.

I think the Bryston is quite netural sounding and the little Audience 42 are quite dynamic for its size.

My favorite choice for CD player that fit in my budget are:

-Rega Apollo

-Cyrus 6 or 6se

-Meridian 506 or 507 (used)

I've audited Cambrige Audio stuff but I don't have much "feel" for them, but this is just my personal opinion.I was told that Acram sounds quite similar to CA......

It is quite hard for me to audit to all these player because no shop near me that carry the same combination as my system, in fact, most dealer don't have the Audience 42 as they were discontinued, so were the Meridian 506 or 507.

Which CD player do you think will match my type of music and my system best? Please feel free to suggest other CD player which I might overlook.

Thanks!

ixi:

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a CD player to match my system, which consists of a Bryston B60 intergrated amp and Dynaudio Audience 42 speakers.

My favourite music is Satana, various pop and soft rock, plus male and female vocals, I hardly listen to any classical at all.

I think the Bryston is quite netural sounding and the little Audience 42 are quite dynamic for its size.

My favorite choice for CD player that fit in my budget are:

-Rega Apollo

-Cyrus 6 or 6se

-Meridian 506 or 507 (used)

I've audited Cambrige Audio stuff but I don't have much "feel" for them, but this is just my personal opinion.I was told that Acram sounds quite similar to CA......

It is quite hard for me to audit to all these player because no shop near me that carry the same combination as my system, in fact, most dealer don't have the Audience 42 as they were discontinued, so were the Meridian 506 or 507.

Which CD player do you think will match my type of music and my system best? Please feel free to suggest other CD player which I might overlook.

Thanks!

Hi ixi

I think that you should also consider the NAD C545BEE and C565BEE cd players.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

I've only listened to the Rega Apollo out of those, and you certainly won't be disapointed with that player.

A

Anonymous

Hi Rick, thanks for the suggestion. Might I ask why you would suggest the NAD?

In your opinon, what particular sonic characteristic in CD player should I be looking for which could work well with my gear?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
With a high quality amplifier like the Bryston, make sure you audition some with it - if you put an inferior signal into it, you're not going to like what comes out of the great little 42's. Revealing amplifiers like the B60 can highlight the shortcomings of many budget players......

For me, the best two CD players under £1k would be the Naim CD5 and the Rega Apollo. At the moment, the Rega Saturn can be had for between £700/800, so that ones well worth checking out of you have the budget. Personally I think the Naim would suit you, but do consider the Saturn.

The only other ones I'd consider would be the Yamaha CDS1000 and CDS2000.

Don't forget, this CD player is going to be the basis for your whole system. Your Bryston can only work with the signal it receives - it can't improve what you put into it, and it can't replace what's not there. Your system will sound as good as your chosen CD player......

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the recommendation on Naim. I should definitely consider it. But to be honest, I never think of Naim because I am not a big fan of their style.

Anyone tried the Rega Apollo with the Bryston or Audience 42?

Another choice is Cyrus CD8x or 6 (not the latest SE becasue they are out of my budget), would the Cyrus sound too bright in my system?

plarge

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I think the Yamaha cds2000 would work well - very predictable sweet sounding player with no harsh edges to upset the Bryston! And the transport is lovely for when you get the finances to add a Naim Dac!! :)

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:

I think the Cyrus would be a little on the brighter side for your system - but if that's what you like it might be right up your street!

What he said!

If forward, exciting sound is your bag then Cyrus will do it but I would spend more if you can....we are talking Bryston here even if it's not the higher range, still, I bet it's one hell of an amp.

A

Anonymous

I went to a shop and listen to the Cyrus 6SE today, and which was connected to Dynaudio Focus speakers (don't know which model though) with a Cyrus amp. You guys are right, the sound is quite sharp with lots of details and it is very forward. It sounds quite exciting and energetic. But I've reservation because my Audience 42 don't have lots of bass (less than the Focus I listened to becasue the 42 have a smaller driver) to balance the highs and details of the Cyrus, plus my room have a wall of glass on one side, which could make the whole system sounds too sharp and thin. But I'm sure with a bigger floorstanding speaker with deeper bass, the Cyrus would works wonders!

I also listened to the Apollo with the same speaker and amp. I found that the sound it is quite warm and relax, it is very easy to listen to. But the combination with Dynaudio speakers may be a bit too warm for my taste. As compare to the Cyrus, it certainly lacks the clarity and the Apollo sounds a bit muddy.It was probably not a fair comparison becasue the Cyrus are much more expensive than the Apollo.

After the audition, I know what I am looking for, that is something in between the Cyrus's sharpness and the Apollo's warmth. Would the Naim (as suggested by some of our fellow memebers) sounds somewhere in the middle? Are there any other suggestions?

A

Anonymous

id be a little bit careful here

bright and detailed is fine for shops and quick listens but its also the first type of sound to become wearing when you listen for some hours its also not necessarily accurate

the apollo i know well and agree it has a more laid back presentation but if you give it a good listen youll realise all the detail is there the apollo just doesnt push them at you in that sense its a subtle player that allows you to hear the nuances so id think for santana it would be no means be a bad choice

the naim is a cd player that is a touch more forward than the rega but not as much as the cyrus so it might be the best choice i heard it in an all naim system with the 42s and thought the combo sounded good not forward but well balanced

A

Anonymous

A long shot, but have you ever thought about buying DAC and using a laptop etc as your 'transport'?

Depends a lot on your listening habits etc' but with things like Spotify it can change the way you play music, and I'm of the mind that a decent DAC/ laptop combo can provide incredible vfm next to a CD player.

Worth a look I reckon, if its not for you then no problem.

A

Anonymous

Hi one off, I think what you said is exactly what my reservation with the Cyrus player is. During the demo, I already have feel a little bit weary but since every magazines I read and including the sales people gave it such a high rating, I did ask myself if it is just me? I think it is not the problem of the CD player, it is more related to how to match it with suitable speakers.

I will gave the Naim or Saturn a try and see how it sounds like.

This CD player selection process let me realize how imporant the source is. To be honest, at first, I don't know the sonic characteristics between different brands could make a such big dfference, even for a "layman" like myself.

ixi:

Hi Rick, thanks for the suggestion. Might I ask why you would suggest the NAD?

In your opinon, what particular sonic characteristic in CD player should I be looking for which could work well with my gear?

Hi ixi

Thanks for your post.

I am sorry for my late reply.

I mentioned the NAD cd players because i believe they will give you many of the tonal qualities of the other players that have been mentioned to work more effectively with your Bryston amp and Dynaudio speakers. Another reason i also suggest the NAD players is that i believe the load etc. (technically) between them and the amp will be better matched and therefore aid performance.

Btw, imo NAD components are capable of punching well above their weight.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

hi,how about trying the CEC CD player. The belt-driven model may be too expensive for you, but they have a model below that which may fit your needs. CEC has a natural, rich and dynamic sound.

A

Anonymous

Hi ixi, in the light of what you've posted - something not too bright and not too warm - you may want to give the Primare CD31 a serious listen.

Btw hi fslam, I'm your fellowcountryman and have been enjoying your blog. Hope to meet up with you and learn some stuff from a sifu.

A

Anonymous

one of the Shanling tube cdp's? .... have never heard one, but those who have them seem happy and seems like good value for money?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts