CD or speakers

Tammytastic

Mar 18, 2018
Visit site
I have a Marantz PM6006 and a Sony PSHX500 with a pair of Mission M73i floorstanders. I recently picked up aTechnics SLPG490 CD player on the cheap. I’ve a few quid spare so I’m wondering if these are balanced components and should I spend on the Marantz CD6006 or some new speakers ?

D

Deleted member 108165

A disc spinner is a disc spinner so if you like the sound when it's all coupled together then spend the money elsewhere as you please. Or put it aside for when one of the components fails. Must admit to being a bit anal myself so am fond of matching gear - aesthetically speaking that is, so the two 6006's would be more pleasing on my eye :)

Is there any aspect of the sound you're getting from this set-up displeasing to your ears in any way?

I've had a few technics cd players, they do a fine job. but there's nothing wrong with trying the upgrade to the matching Marantz CD6006. if you can, get the new UK edition.
you will have a very good base to start with then. Mission Speakers are generally a good bet, but, you could keep an eye out for some Q Acoustic floorstanders. but that's me spending your money for you!!

Tammytastic

Mar 18, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I have the UK amp and have to agree to CD player would look lovely ! I'm using optical from the Technics - is that best policy as I understand the Marantz DAC is quite good. I'm not sure what I'm looking to improve I just don't want to realise in a few years that a little upgrade would make a big difference. My only other query is other than floor spikes can anyone suggest a good way to isolate the speakers from some very uneven laminate flooring ?

gasolin

The Technics SL-PG480 (1996) was the cdplayer of the year i 1996, i think, but not 100% shure, it's on this list of all time best cdplayers made by whathifi https://www.whathifi.com/features/best-24-cd-players-what-hi-fis-lifetime

The Marantz CD6005 as well as the CD6006 isn't on the list for some reason, i think or to say it like it is, have no doubt the Marantz CD6006 sounds better and it would be better then the technics SLPG490.

Technics SLPG590 cost 20 years ago what is equal to 200 euros or 170 pounds if you will, so you can se that the technics SLPG490 must have been very cheap.

So you can imagine that it's a very cheap cdplayer and because of that and that it sounds good i think it was chosen as one of the all time best cdplayers by whathifi.

My old yamaha cdplayer sounds okay but wanted to try it with the built in dac in my amp, it was faulty and despite trying to fin a used with better sound and a working digital output, i desided to buy a new Marantz CD6006 for only 294 euros or 250 pounds (denmark) just under 50% more than a Marantz CD5005

insider9

To start with Marantz isn't my kind of sound. I'm referring to entry level as never heard them at a very high level. There's something that always bothers me about midrange.

However the vintage gear is much more listenable than the new. I'm referring to amps and CD players. The recent 5000 and 6000 series in particular have been poor everytime I've heard them, never mind the speakers used. To me they were just unlistenable.

I know it's not a popular opinion but they're just nowhere near my taste. If we were talking high end and particularly of vintage sort then I'm sure I'd change my mind.

insider9

I'm sure I will at some point. Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about Marantz in general. Enjoyed vintage gear but not once lusted after any one bit of kit from them. There was always something not there for me in every bit of kit. I guess all I'm saying tastes vary but I remain open minded.

Tammytastic

Mar 18, 2018
Visit site
My PM6006UK has been a revelation for me as prior to this I was listening to music through an old Sony STRDG820 which had been a good home cinema amp in its day but never a great option for regular use. Comments have given me a lot to think about - I wish I could run to the higher end Marantz stuff. Considering the Technics only cost me £40 it will probably do as a spare unit for the summer house in the future.

mr_baker644

Nov 1, 2019
Visit site
I upgraded my 15 year old Technics SLPG590 to a CD6005 about 3-4 years ago. In general, you'll notice a bit more detail and dynamism as the Marantz is is a more capable CDP than the Technics. The 6006 UK edition is supposedly a marked improvement on the model I have.

One thing to look out for which may have been solved by Marantz now... I'd had mine for about a year when it decided to stop reading discs or syncing to my iPhone, after barely any use (my main source is a turntable). I sent it back to be repaired and it's been fine since.

IIRC my Technics cost me £110 brand new in 2000. The Marantz was the best part of £300 so in inflation terms, it's probably about the same. I'd make the switch as you won't be disappointed.

In fact, my Atlas Element Integra cables have just arrived today, so I'll no doubt hear more improvements from the Marantz with those.

Last edited:

gasolin

£110 back in 2000 was a low budget cdplayer equal to a low budget,entry level cdplayer in 2020.

Marantz CD6006 is one of the best in it's class and for the money really good

Second on the list Onkyo C-N7050 costs £ 399 and you can only get it a few places

Marantz CD6006 is the best value cdplayer in 2020

As a bonus for enthusiast you can change the power cord to a better one, even with the CD5005 it's possible as well as the PM5005 amp (which i without any doubt are gonna do)

Last edited:

mr_baker644

Nov 1, 2019
Visit site
£110 back in 2000 was a low budget cdplayer equal to a low budget,entry level cdplayer in 2020.

Marantz CD6006 is one of the best in it's class and for the money really good

Second on the list Onkyo C-N7050 costs £ 399 and you can only get it a few places

Marantz CD6006 is the best value cdplayer in 2020

As a bonus for enthusiast you can change the power cord to a better one, even with the CD5005 it's possible as well as the PM5005 amp (which i without any doubt are gonna do)

I've become sceptical of power cable changes on such budget components to be honest. I'd rather look to upgrade the unit before I start spending £150 on a new power cable.

The SLPG590 would have been the equivalent of around £200 in today's money, which is only about £80 cheaper than my Marantz cost in 2015.

Personally instead of spending £400 on an Onkyo CDP as an upgrade to the Marantz, I would rather save the extra £200 or so and audition a Rega Apollo-R. You can step up a class altogether for not a lot more than the price of a Russ Andrews power cable.

gasolin

You don't have to buy a better power cable if you don't want to, mine cost €54

If you want to upgrade the power cable, you could also buy something like this, if you can't find the cable i use for only £54 https://www.futureshop.co.uk/audioquest-nrg-x3-uk-mains-power-cable-custom-length

I wrote the second cdplayer on the list cost £399 and you can only get it a few places, not that someone should upgrade to it over the Marantz CD6006

D

Deleted member 108165

In fact, my Atlas Element Integra cables have just arrived today, so I'll no doubt hear more improvements from the Marantz with those.
Don't bet on it. I have the same interconnects on my system and they sound no different to the OEM cables that were supplied in the original boxes :) Cable debates on here always get very heated, all I can say is that you would need a very expensive system to tell any difference with cables, (if there is indeed a difference and not imagined).

D

Deleted member 108165

You don't have to buy a better power cable if you don't want to, mine cost €54

If you want to upgrade the power cable, you could also buy something like this, if you can't find the cable i use for only £54 https://www.futureshop.co.uk/audioquest-nrg-x3-uk-mains-power-cable-custom-length

I wrote the second cdplayer on the list cost £399 and you can only get it a few places, not that someone should upgrade to it over the Marantz CD6006

Just spend the money on music... not damned cables :)

gasolin

No, gonna buy some better power cable

Theres nothing wrong with doing a little tweaking before listen to a cdplayer or driving in your car.

Im not just a music lover im also a tweaker but not extreme

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 108165

No, gonna buy some better power cable

Theres nothing wrong with doing a little tweaking before listen to a cdplayer og driving in your car.

Im not just a music lover im also a tweaker but not extreme
Gasolin, you have always been an extreme tweaker my friend :)

gasolin

No, most i do on my cdplayer is feet (have it) cable (have it), attenuators (have it) , the only thing i don't have and want is a pair of power mains.

I don't think you can find any hifi enthusiast, car freak that just has a standard hifi system, car

mr_baker644

Nov 1, 2019
Visit site
Don't bet on it. I have the same interconnects on my system and they sound no different to the OEM cables that were supplied in the original boxes :) Cable debates on here always get very heated, all I can say is that you would need a very expensive system to tell any difference with cables, (if there is indeed a difference and not imagined).

To be honest I probably agree with you, which is why I wouldn't usually bother. I do have more expensive components that I wanted to try them out with over the Marantz, but yesterday I thought I would try the Atlas cables. I couldn't really tell much difference if I'm honest. Maybe a bit more detail but possibly imagined.

I was thinking of upgrading the Marantz but I just don't listen to enough CD's to warrant the extra cash, so it's a good enough source for now.

Last year I took the Leap from what I believed was a very good CD player, the Simaudio Moon Equinox, to the Marantz SA14S1SE and what an amazing piece of kit it is. The moon was well built, but the Marantz is on another level. The sound quality is out there too. I didn’t really know what to expect, but the difference is startling. And although not cheap, it is worth every penny. I thoroughly recommend Marantz Premium units. (I should work there really)
It wasn’t many years ago when I wouldn’t have paid £1500 for a car, or a complete hifi system combined. I started with second hand technics cd and Cambridge audio bottom end amp.
It has taken a long time to get where I am, but I value every penny spent. It’s been an investment in the quality of life.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts