CD changer / amplifier combo

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking to buy my first hi-fi system, after using a Sony mini all-in-one for 5 years. I listen to classical music only and for me only a CD changer is an option as a source. Because I don't want to get up and change a CD in the middle of a symphony or large choral work. So, if I choose NAD C326BEE (or C315BEE) for an amplifier how would a CD changer (for example Yamaha CDC-697 or Rotel RCC1055) affect the performance of this amp? Would it prevent the amplifier of performing to its full potentials? Or should I go with a cheaper amp? Any other suggestions, please?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Just a thought, feel free to discount...

Have you thought about an ipod classic? I use mine along with an Apple universal dock, and the sound quality is suprisingly good. It also has the benefit of storing at least 500 albums, and has a remote control. It can be set to play one album after another, so requiring no user input during the whole listening session.

Obviously, if you are not a computer user then this nullifies my idea, but as you've managed to post on here... ;)

Worth a thought if you haven't considered it. It should pair well with either of the NAD amps. Can't comment on the changers as have no experience of them, but do have high respect for Rotel kit.

One thing - you don't mention which speakers you intend to use. If they are higher quality, it might be better going for the 326 to get the most from them...

A

Anonymous

Well, i'm not into ipods.......don't like compressed. I'm thinking of Monitor Audio BR2 speakers. Also what about Marantz?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I am not really in a position to be dismissive of CD multi-changers because I have never heard any.

The Yamaha looks like a nice enough machine and they have a reputation for build and reliability.

Go for the 326BEE rather than the cheaper option.

Maybe plan to buy a seperate DAC (DacMagic, Beresford Caiman etc) some time soon so you can plug the CD into it as 'multichanger transport'.

This will probably perform better than the internal DAC on the CD multi-changer and will also allow you to experiment with ripping your music to iTunes (un-compressed/losslessly).

You can easily tweak settings in iTunes to ensure there are no annoying breaks or gaps in the music (such as those you would inevitably get on a multi-changer).

You can put your music on an iPod losslessly and there are docks (like the Wadia) that will make the difference between iPod and a good CD player virtually undiscernable. However this is quite an expensive route especially if you don't already have an iPod Classic.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Alf81, my setup is optimized exclusively for classical music, so my experience can be of help.

There's nothing wrong with using a CD changer as a source. Just make sure the chassis is well damped and the specs are up to standard.

I would strongly advise against the choice of the Monitor Audio speakers. Keep in mind that most of the mass market speaker brands don't voice to classical music, a genre that occupies less than 3% of the music industry.

The speakers that I've found to do classical justice in that price range have been from Wharfedale and Acoustic Energy. Still, you shouldn't expect these speakers to render orchestral music convincingly.

As for the amp, the NAD C326BEE would be absolute minimum. It wouldn't hurt to look at the similar products from Rotel and Cambridge Audio to find the sound you want.

An ideal system in your budget, for me, would be the Cambridge Audio 550A with the Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 1. It would excel at soundstaging and clarity with a warm tonal balance.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, batonwielder, for these advices. I've been doing a bit more research and found out very affordable Wharfedale Diamond's 9.1 or 10.1......though I'm not sure which one since my room is small (cca. 13m square) and I would have to mount them to a ceiling. I've found suitable 26cm long brackets. So, I presume 9.1 is better for such positioning?

Either way, here where I live there are no Wharfedales to audition, and for that matter the options for auditioning are very little. At least I hope this one shop will have NAD or CA amps available for demo. You mention 550A, but that is a bit to expensive for me, how about 340A SE? Here I can't demo Rotel RA-04 SE. Which of these, including C326BEE, would go best with Rotel changer RCC-1055 and Wharfedales?

Yes, I mostly listen to orchestral music, and after Sony mini everything will sound convincing to me
emotion-5.gif
with no symphony orchestra in my city
emotion-45.gif

Thanks

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
The Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's are a bargain of the century. They sound unbelievably good with classical music, including orchestral.

I would recommend the NAD C326BEE with these. It will go deeper and louder than the CA 340A. This is a fantastic match.

Speaker stands are definitely preferable to wallmounting, but luckily the Wharfedale's perform quite well within close proximity to the rear wall. Just be sure to toe them in and clear of sidewalls.

As you have limited options and places to audition, I understand the weight of the advices given here. I really hope that you will find the sound to your liking as I've found them to be.

Any ideas on cable?

A

Anonymous

Like you, I am heavily into classical music but if I could make a suggestion - don't be so dismissive of iPods.

If music is recorded onto the iPod using Apple Lossless (a high bit-rate) then the quality is there.......and if you can listen to the sound of a Sony mini system for so long then you are sure to be happy with an iPod!

Bob.

A

Anonymous

Cable advice would be great! I've read somewhere that cables from speakers to amp should be of the same length, what happens if they are not? In my room one speaker would be closer to components than the other speaker, is it of any significance?

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
alf81:Cable advice would be great! I've read somewhere that cables from speakers to amp should be of the same length, what happens if they are not? In my room one speaker would be closer to components than the other speaker, is it of any significance?

I let you use a CD changer, mount the speakers on the wall, and now you want uneven lengths of speaker cable? Shame on you!

This one can't be allowed, I'm afraid. THEY MUST BE EQUAL!!!

Look into Chord and Supra. They excel at balance and tonality.

A

Anonymous

About the best position for the components regarding the speaker cable length......and I think I found a good solution.

jc.com

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
alf81:About the best position for the components regarding the speaker cable length......and I think I found a good solution.

YOu do realise they don't need to be stretched taut
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I heard today CA 550A with PSB Imagine B speakers and I wasn't impressed. Highs were thin, strident, and overall the sound wasn't so present, coherent. HK 980 which I heard last week in other shop was better. Next week they'll have NAD amps for me to hear, seller told they are warmer then CA and should be better with classical.

A

Anonymous

No, they are not! When I checked back home their price
emotion-43.gif
.......however seller said he can get the Wharfedales for me. Allso, it seems Rotel changer isn't available anymore (and it's pricey).....so it probably means Marantz CC4003, has anyone some thoughts on this changer?

matthewpiano

You will struggle to better the NAD C326BEE/Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 combination for anything like reasonable money. I listened to John Ogdon's 1960s recording of the Busoni Piano Concerto earlier and I was, again, blown away by how involving and musical this system sounds. Everything is well defined and there is lots of detail, but the remarkable thing is how organic it all sounds and how natural and 'right' the soundstage is. Tonally, it is better than any other budget combination I've heard.

JamesPianoman

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Matthew P... John Ogdon?! I saw him perform once in Mansfield- he shuffled on stage, barely said a word, and played... well you know how. Any ideas where I can get a reasonably priced CD of him playing Chopin? My Mum has an LP but I don't have a turntable. Thanks. Apologies to the OP for butting in...

matthewpiano

JamesPianoman:Hi Matthew P... John Ogdon?! I saw him perform once in Mansfield- he shuffled on stage, barely said a word, and played... well you know how. Any ideas where I can get a reasonably priced CD of him playing Chopin? My Mum has an LP but I don't have a turntable. Thanks. Apologies to the OP for butting in...

The Chopin recordings seem to be really difficult to find at a reasonable price. I'd like to pick them up myself but the Classics for Pleasure disc seems to be deleted and used copies are for sale on Amazon for £25 plus.

I feel Ogdon is badly under-presented on CD. There used to be a fair amount of his recordings available on IMP Classics/IMP Masters, including the 2 piano stuff with his wife Brenda Lucas, but that label seems to have vanished without trace. I do have an RCA disc with the Tchaikovsky Competition performances of both Ogdon and Ashkenazy on, and Ogdon's playing on that is startling.

In terms of the unassuming stage presence I found Brendel exactly the same when I saw one of his last recital appearances in Manchester. He walked straight over to the piano and launched into the first piece almost as soon as his posterior hit the stool, but the playing was absolutely wonderful.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:You will struggle to better the NAD C326BEE/Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 combination for anything like reasonable money. I listened to John Ogdon's 1960s recording of the Busoni Piano Concerto earlier and I was, again, blown away by how involving and musical this system sounds. Everything is well defined and there is lots of detail, but the remarkable thing is how organic it all sounds and how natural and 'right' the soundstage is. Tonally, it is better than any other budget combination I've heard.

Would 9.2 be too much for 13m square room? Or for 326BEE to drive?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts