Thomson A3305 Kevlar 5 Disk Changer Hifi not working.

JDF2012

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Thomson A3305 Kevlar 5 Disk Changer Hi-fi not working.

I have a Thomson A3305 Kevlar 5 Disk Changer Hi-fi It has been sitting idle for about 6 months as I have been redecorating. When I powered it up again it won't play Tapes or CD's. The radio works fine.

When I power it off the CD drawer comes out and I have to gently push it in.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would hate to bin it as the sound is great!

Attachments

• Thomson.jpg
    Thomson.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 5

Gray

If you haven't already, completely isolate it from the mains, power up after a few minutes, then try again.

If still the same, open it up.
First comes the visual inspection, see if there's anything obviously wrong.

Check whether you've got motor operation in the CD and tape sections.

Are those sections getting power?
Look at how power reaches them from the power supply section.....check any components / connectors that are common to the CD and tape sections (you know the radio section is getting power).

JDF2012

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
If you haven't already, completely isolate it from the mains, power up after a few minutes, then try again.

If still the same, open it up.
First comes the visual inspection, see if there's anything obviously wrong.

Check whether you've got motor operation in the CD and tape sections.

Are those sections getting power?
Look at how power reaches them from the power supply section.....check any components / connectors that are common to the CD and tape sections (you know the radio section is getting power).

Should I just remove the back screws and do a quick visual check? Never done done this before.

The Tape Decks work on RWD and FF its only PLAY that does not. It Plays for a few seconds then clicks and stops. I get no sound from them. This is the same no matter which deck i try.

As i said when i switch it off the CD Drawer comes out so that bit works at least. I will try playing CD's again tomorrow.

Gray

Should I just remove the back screws and do a quick visual check?
Why not?
it could be all that's needed.
Isolate it from mains power and you've got nothing to lose.

Those twin cassette decks can have common drives (to keep costs down).
You may well see a drive belt problem - broken or too slack.

You're right to recheck CD play. I'd be surprised if both tape and CD functions have failed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

JDF2012

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I have been told

"Midi HiFi like these were not designed to be easily fixed and were not known for their longevity. From your description it could be a power supply issue. Playing a tape requires more current then winding it back or forward as the tape is played under tension between the pinch roller and the take up spool. The CD draw opening after powering off may also be a logic malfunction due to low voltage. Radio will remain unaffected as radio can cope with low voltages, as can the amplifier, though it may not be as loud or have as deep bass as it once did.

Electronics like this can fail after a period of rest as the capacitors discharge and don't recharge to the same level in the power supply."

Gray

....so you haven't looked inside yet?

I mentioned checking power was present - that includes checking it's sufficient.
Circuit boards can be labelled with voltages - so you know what to expect.
Without opening the thing though, you won't see anything.
Maybe let someone else do it for you.

(If that bit about capacitors was true by the way....there'd be a lot more failures happening).

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts