Cartridge/Stylus maintenance

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Having only just recently taken the plunge back into the world of vinyl, I was wondering if anyone has any good tips for cleaning and/or maintaining a cartridge and stylus. I've got a carbon filter brush for my vinyl but I'm not sure what to use for the stylus. For the record(!), the cartridge is a Goldring 2400.

A

Anonymous

You quite often see Audio Technica electronic stylus cleaners coming up on eBay. I've never used one because I've yet to win one, they seem to be very popular and attract a lot of bids, usually between £15 & £20. Maybe one day I'll get one for a tenner :)

If you're getting a lot of residue buildup on the stylus tip, you could try drawing a piece of fine abrasive paper (like the side of a matchbox) across the tip in the same direction as a record would flow for a distance of just 2 or 3cm. I know a couple of chaps that rest the tip in a small pool of vodka before doing this and they claim it works. I know this all sounds mad and if you are too concerned about it, maybe somebody else here will have some suggestions. Good luck.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
play a record,let the needle take off any dust and replay.replace in sleeve straight after playing.no vodka ,except for drinking and no coarse paper.a carbon fibre brush is ok but i feel it just moves the dust around.i blow the dust off from behind if there is any on the stylus.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts