Cartridge question

andybebbs

Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
Have new rega rp3 with rega elys 2 cartridge and needle which has been playing fine since purchase a month or so ago but yesterday noticed when playing a record the cartridge behind the needle is very close to the record. Maybe the thickness of 3 pieces of paper. Is this right and the tracking weight is correct double checked it.

Interesting, seems a bit close. How did you check the tracking weight?
does the straight blue section where the stylus is look parallel to the record surface when the stylus is touching the record with tracking force applied?

andybebbs

Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
Interesting, seems a bit close. How did you check the tracking weight?
does the straight blue section where the stylus is look parallel to the record surface when the stylus is touching the record with tracking force applied?
I used a digital tracking gauge and its spot on 1.75g it all looks ok but been going through some very old records that are a bit rough so maybe that. Rang audio t on Saturday and he said its ok. If it plays up again i will return it to them as its only a month or two old.

Thanks. Looks like that cartridge isn't going to handle any records that might be slightly warped. I don't think the suspension looks suspect. If anything it looks like the tonearm
needs to be raised slightly, and your fixing bolts look to be upside down, not that it matters
One of the best ways of checking out your cartridge is to get Hifi Test Record, this will test every aspect of its ability and set-up.
it's expensive but will last many a system :-

Last edited:

andybebbs

Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
Should fit properly should it not its a rega cartridge on a rega arm. Its not possible to raise the arm without shims which i shouldn't need. Can change bolts round but came fitted from supplier as it is.

Should fit properly should it not its a rega cartridge on a rega arm. Its not possible to raise the arm without shims which i shouldn't need. Can change bolts round but came fitted from supplier as it is.
Got you. Poor set-up by dealer, in my opinion. That's the problem your Rega arms and VTA.
Understand it should not require shims just looks slightly off. This doesn't look like it came like that from Rega, looks like a dealer bodge.

Reactions: andybebbs
Got you. Poor set-up by dealer, in my opinion. That's the problem your Rega arms and VTA.
Understand it should not require shims just looks slightly off. This doesn't look like it came like that from Rega, looks like a dealer bodge.

Friesiansam

Thanks. Looks like that cartridge isn't going to handle any records that might be slightly warped. I don't think the suspension looks suspect. If anything it looks like the tonearm
needs to be raised slightly, and your fixing bolts look to be upside down, not that it matters
One of the best ways of checking out your cartridge is to get Hifi Test Record, this will test every aspect of its ability and set-up.
it's expensive but will last many a system :-
Looks like one is upside-down and the other is the right way up. Smacks of carelessness by the dealer.

andybebbs

Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
Just spoke to rega on the phone they said there should be a 1ml gap so they said take cartridge off and return to Audio T which im going to do tomorrow. I hope they supply me with a replacement as deck only 8 weeks old.

Reactions: Al ears

andybebbs

Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
So thinking i might change the cartridge with one that has replacement needles as the rega one doesn't. on a bit of a budget so what will fit the rega arm without adding shims for around 100 dont want anything to bright.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts