Tracking force gauges

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone uses these high end gauges like the Rega model? I have a cheap one that I got off Amazon and it comes with a check weight and it seeems to work fine. My only complaint with it is that the needle resting platform is slick and the needle slides around but other than that it's fine. Here's a link to the Rega Atlas tracking force gauge for $275. I have no idea where this thing is made, probably China like all the others but I'm not sure. My guess would be that you're mainly paying for the Rega name, but what do you guys think?

https://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Electronic-Tracking-Force-Gauge/dp/B0759YNBTG#customerReviews

Just wondering if anyone uses these high end gauges like the Rega model? I have a cheap one that I got off Amazon and it comes with a check weight and it seeems to work fine. My only complaint with it is that the needle resting platform is slick and the needle slides around but other than that it's fine. Here's a link to the Rega Atlas tracking force gauge for $275. I have no idea where this thing is made, probably China like all the others but I'm not sure. My guess would be that you're mainly paying for the Rega name, but what do you guys think?

https://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Electronic-Tracking-Force-Gauge/dp/B0759YNBTG#customerReviews
As it appears to be Currently Unavailable I will not comment but, price-wise, it does seem a little expensive.
An accurate gauge is essential but you don't have to pay anywhere near that to buy one.

Reactions: spl84 and DougK1

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
i did bought a Rega turntable the P10 with P10 PSU , the first time i spent money on a Rega for the fact that it was the first i notice having a good sound and acurate playing of vinyl records.

My choice after noticing the SL-1000R price ,who i own a perfect condition SL-1000MKII from 79, amongst others, this having bought the SU-R1000 amplifier , ending up buying some big tower speakers that were made for it the SB-G90MKII, instead of buying even more expensive JBL speakers ,

having recentelly also bought a streamer, my first one the bluesound node III, very pratical with the suplied software and in sound quality i have to admit it was a big improvement, from a laptop with a better internal DAC as the provided when released

but having a hana umami red cartridge i installed it ,that sounds in my opinion very good, i didn´t pay for it.

The expensive suplied cartridges like the Alpheta 3 (which is good )who in my opinion is too expensive but i could buy the hana for a more cheaper value than the value sold in stores , when the first is worn out, as the seller is a friend of mine since early 80´s and at the start of the business i helped him.

Before buying the Alpheta 3, i would have bought the Grado AEON 3, sounds more dynamic , i´ve tested both on the P10, the quality is present only the personal taste matters here(maybe i´ll buy them in a near future ,only a matter of cash flow)

I refer this all because it makes the sound not only the turntable itself, and i was not used to spend more than 5.000€ in cartridge with stylus, and i didn´t

Also , where i´ve been testing turntables that before 2020 i had no interest in new material but i´ve learned something since then by testing new turntables as the cartridges, amongst other components,

I have it in my main listening room (40 square meters) along with a 70´s pioneer system exclusive series that the speakers needed some restoring and when returned it were like i remenber them sounding,

using also a cassette deck from the old days but with a high quality of sound the phase linear 7000 from series two.

the amplifier i bought only as one output line and i´m using only TDK sa-x and ar C60 from early 90´s, who i got more than a thousand for free and only started to record cassettes again since 2017,

when i installed new belts on a pioneer CT-959 which sounds very good, this phase linear is the same as the good but cheaply built Pioneer CT-A1,(both perfect cassette flat recorders). As i own a lot of nakamichi decks i can say that no model achieves this deck i refered, this working with perfection, or i would have installed a 1000ZXL that i have two ,the special edition and the 81 edition(w3ork9ng like new after total restore

Don´t remenber if they (Pioneer)bought it before 79 or after ,the phase linear brand , i think the deck as common design as the pioneer CT-F1250 display but in colour not only Blue, maybe before 79 ,not sure at all,

maybe after the turntables the cassette will return ,not pre-recorded ones but the option of recording at home a compilation of the songs we prefer at the moment, this when people realise that cassettes are hi-fi sound , any cd when recorded to cassette ,it sounds a lot better but good decks were expensive as good cassettes or reels as the reel decks

Gray

Is it a Rega arm on the Thorens.
Yes, the RB300.
I started with an RB200.
No way of properly comparing sound between the two.

But, to be honest, having since done 'proper' blind comparisons of carts and phono stages, I really wouldn't fancy my chances of telling two arms apart by sound.
(No doubt the vinyl experts would find it easy....especially if it wasn't blind 🤔).

Reactions: DougK1
My guess would be that you're mainly paying for the Rega name, but what do you guys think?
You’re paying for a highly accurate device that doesn’t need to be highly accurate. You need near enough, and then set by ear.

You’re quite correct that great care is needed otherwise the stylus can be damaged. Did you set the antiskate to zero first?

I use an original Shure metal scales and a cheap Chinese one with a tiny 5g check weight. They’re about £10 or less, and there are dozens of similar types on eBay, or you can get one with a branded badge for about three times as much. I’m sure they apply QC first.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS