cartridge compliance and tonearm mass

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Thanks . I've read a bit about the benz glider and one day I'll grab one my self . should sound very nice.

Indeed. I have seen them for as little as £679 but cannot stretch to that yet.

As a matter of interest, perhaps, I might suggest you look at Zyx cartridges. It would mean buying from Japan as the mark-up from UK dealers is prohibitive, but they are the best I have used yet.

Yeah.some of them are pretty expensive and a bit out of my reach.I wouldn't know how to go about importing from Japan and then import duty becomes an issue.Also I'm not quite ready to buy my last cart just yet lol.want to try a few and get some experience of fitting them and the different sonic abilities of different brands etc.

Mark Rose-Smith said:
Yeah.some of them are pretty expensive and a bit out of my reach.I wouldn't know how to go about importing from Japan and then import duty becomes an issue.Also I'm not quite ready to buy my last cart just yet lol.want to try a few and get some experience of fitting them and the different sonic abilities of different brands etc.

Got my last Zyx through a well respected eBay trader based in Japan. The only way to do it really. No duty or VAT, but possibly I was just lucky. Small items are often overlooked this way. Just paid the asking price which was less than half the UK price.

To be honest this is one area that I would buy from abroad in. I love the idea of utilising a friendly dealer but not when it comes to overinflated cartridge prices.

£419 Al.will I have to adjust the vta on the tonearm as I think it's set up for ortofon carts (20 degrees I believe)as that's what the project's usually come fitted with)although I opted for no cart when I purchased the 2 xperience classic,the at 33 ptg cart is 23 degrees.will it make much difference.

Mark Rose-Smith said:
£419 Al.will I have to adjust the vta on the tonearm as I think it's set up for ortofon carts (20 degrees I believe)as that's what the project's usually come fitted with)although I opted for no cart when I purchased the 2 xperience classic,the at 33 ptg cart is 23 degrees.will it make much difference.

Good price.

No. This is the angle that the cantilever is set at. I would just ensure that the cartridge base is parallel with the record surface when you have correct tracking force set.

Mark Rose-Smith said:
Ok Al,Thanks for yor input it's much appreciated and i'll get back with my thoughts on the cart,it's comming tommorow,but it'll need a bit of run in time until it's at it's best so i'm led to believe.

No problem. Shouldn't take too long to run in as mine was great from the start. Maybe a side or two for that elasticity flexing. :)

Anyone who quotes extended run in times is just trying to delay you taking the thing back to the shop. ;-)

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
Got my last Zyx through a well respected eBay trader based in Japan. The only way to do it really. No duty or VAT...

To be honest this is one area that I would buy from abroad in. I love the idea of utilising a friendly dealer but not when it comes to overinflated cartridge prices.

Of course, your friendly dealer does have to pay import duty and VAT, hence a lot of the price inflation...

thescarletpronster said:
Al ears said:
Got my last Zyx through a well respected eBay trader based in Japan. The only way to do it really. No duty or VAT...

Of course, your friendly dealer does have to pay import duty and VAT, hence a lot of the price inflation...

Likewise the dealer in Japan will also have paid tax on it....

Doubling the price is a standard UK con.

D

Deleted member 108165

thescarletpronster said:

Using my recent turntable purchase as an example, how on earth does something costing $1500 in both the US and Canada somehow become £1500 if purchased in the UK? Surely this price difference cannot just be down to VAT and duty?

DougK said:
thescarletpronster said:

Using my recent turntable purchase as an example, how on earth does something costing $1500 in both the US and Canada somehow become £1500 if purchased in the UK? Surely this price difference cannot just be down to VAT and duty?

You're right. They normally put it down to transportation which is a bit odd since most items are often made in foreign parts and have to be transported to either country. Usual rip off fob story.

You will know that the States will also have had import duty and sales tax included in the price.

With internet shopping taking off its their own fault that UK sales have fallen dramatically.

D

Deleted member 108165

Al ears said:
You're right. They normally put it down to transportation which is a bit odd since most items are often made in foreign parts and have to be transported to either country. Usual rip off fob story.

You will know that the States will also have had import duty and sales tax included in the price.

With internet shopping taking off its their own fault that UK sales have fallen dramatically.

Sussed it! It's that big chunky three-pin mains plug that we demand in the UK. They are so expensive to manufacture *biggrin*

DougK said:
Al ears said:

Sussed it! It's that big chunky three-pin mains plug that we demand in the UK. They are so expensive to manufacture *biggrin*
. It has always been reckoned that dollar equals pound when importing US products via agents or dealers. I'm sure when the exchange rates move in their favour they do nicely, but other times they will be squeezed. My Krells seemed v expensive at the time, but they've never failed in 18 years and are still worth about 25% of what they cost, so as a longterm ownership prospect are good value.

nopiano said:
DougK said:
Al ears said:

. It has always been reckoned that dollar equals pound when importing US products via agents or dealers. I'm sure when the exchange rates move in their favour they do nicely, but other times they will be squeezed. My Krells seemed v expensive at the time, but they've never failed in 18 years and are still worth about 25% of what they cost, so as a longterm ownership prospect are good value.

Perhaps you would feel that way being a Krell owner. That, however, is not the main gripe. This is that dealers seem to charge in pounds what for what is available in the States in dollars for imported goods.

This is not to be taken lightly.

And the dollar has never been equivalent to the pound, whatever UK dealers think they can get away with.

Mark Rose-Smith said:
On another note.my new cart looks stunning in it's box.hope it sounds as good as it looks . I'm going to be a bit nervous fitting this one.

Seen images of them, very much like mine apart from colour scheme. :)

Advice: get all required tools close to hand and then go steadily. ;-)

I am pretty confident you'll love the sound. I may be presumptuous but you are aware it is low output so may need to adjust your Trichord accordingly.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
On another note.my new cart looks stunning in it's box.hope it sounds as good as it looks . I'm going to be a bit nervous fitting this one.
Presuming it's got a stylus cover leave it on until fitted. The Droid used to reckon it was squeaky bum time fitting a two grand one without a cover.

Lost Angeles said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Presuming it's got a stylus cover leave it on until fitted. The Droid used to reckon it was squeaky bum time fitting a two grand one without a cover.

It does indeed have a full length cover which can be left in place thanks to two holes where the bolts go. It's still a little tricky but relatively safe.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts