cartidge upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Anyone here using a Linn Akito arm on their TT? I have the K9 cartridge the arm came with (used) and want to upgrade. Looking to spend around £100/£150

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
it depends on what phono stage you are using to ab extent, but I would have thought either the denon dl110, or whichever of the ortofon 2,'s you fancy would be a good match. I have only heard the blue, and thought it was a good sounding cart. At the time the Dennon DL110 was about £60, and it was in some ways better than the 2m blue. Given how imported prices have changed recently, especially from Japan it has increased a lot, so the 2m's may be better comparative value.

A

Anonymous

The Audio Technica AT440MLA is a nice cartridge, very detailed and tracks well but is quite bright sounding.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I found the Denon DL-160 for £104.95 on the internet, if that helps.

Leeÿ

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
leenorris78:

Hi,

I found the Denon DL-160 for £104.95 on the internet, if that helps.

Lee

where was that, I'll have another

A

Anonymous

Harrow audio (I am not connected but the missus bought me one for my birthday).

Currently in the process of burning one in. 50 or so hours is alot of sides of vinyl to burn in.ÿ

Sounding pretty good.

Leeÿ

A

Anonymous

I'd love to get the dl-160 for that price but I don't think I'm capable of changing the cartridge myself. I think I might have to bite the bullet and pay the £160 shop price that includes fitting. It's a ****** but I don't know anyone who knows how to fit them.

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Catcher:I'd love to get the dl-160 for that price but I don't think I'm capable of changing the cartridge myself. I think I might have to bite the bullet and pay the £160 shop price that includes fitting. It's a ****** but I don't know anyone who knows how to fit them.

it really is not that difficult, you need a few tools, screwdriver, allan keys, needle nose pliers, scales or balance or whatever you want to call them, protractor, (downloadable) a bit of time, and a few cups of tea. If you wanted to do it yourself I am sure a few of us on here would right a set of instructions.

A

Anonymous

If anyone lived in N.London I'd make them a few cups of tea and watch them do it so I could do it next time but I fear it would end in tears if I attempted it myself. I might though. Thanks for the offer of help anyway.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
I can do it for you, i have a Denon DL 110, same dimensions as a 160 i live near the angel islington so if your interested get back on the forum and i will look out for you later as i'm off to work now.

A

Anonymous

Gregory you life saver. I live in Dalston. I would really appreciate it. Just have to work out how to give you my details now as I imagine posting my email address on here would get modded. Anyone whose contacted someone on here advise me how to do it?

A

Anonymous

What are Harrow Audio playing at? That price for the DL 160 is about £60 than almost anywhere else.

A

Anonymous

I know, £105, what a bargain.

I had never set up a cartridge before this one and probably haven't got it just right yet.

It is quite simple. The protractor can be found on the net.

You probably have most of the other tools in your tool box.

It is recommended that you use a non-magnetic screwdriver but I didn't bother though the screwdriver stuck to the side of the cart on more than one occasion.

I did not use a balance/scale but completed this bit by sight and ear but fear I may be slowly destroying my new cart. It is something I'll invest in in the near future.

Go on, buy one. Its another thing to play with!ÿ

It is not as sweet as my cd player with most songs, but the dynamics.......Ahhhhhh.....

Wonderful!!! And more fun!

A

Anonymous

Cheers Gregory, You can take the number off now if you want. I'm pretending I'm working at work at the minute so will call you later. Much appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS