Carrie & Lowell horrible background noise

MrTeroo

BANNED
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Had this album for over six months now, it was a birthday present. I have never been happy with the quality of the vinyl. When it arrived it looked like it had been used as a skate for someone to slide around on, full of scuffs and surface marks. Shrink wrapped.

Because it was a gift I didn't make a fuss.

The thing that really annoys me is the high levels of background hiss in the mix. Between tracks the album goes silent and then as the next track starts the background noise returns.

Best example is at the end of Should Have Known Better, it sounds like someone presses stop on a cassette, the hiss stops suddenly.

It is exactly the same on the digital download that came with the album.

Has anyone else noticed this? Surely it is not intentional? Meant to make it sound like a lo-fi home recording?

Thanks

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
MrTeroo said:
Had this album for over six months now, it was a birthday present. I have never been happy with the quality of the vinyl. When it arrived it looked like it had been used as a skate for someone to slide around on, full of scuffs and surface marks. Shrink wrapped.

Because it was a gift I didn't make a fuss.

The thing that really annoys me is the high levels of background hiss in the mix. Between tracks the album goes silent and then as the next track starts the background noise returns.

Best example is at the end of Should Have Known Better, it sounds like someone presses stop on a cassette, the hiss stops suddenly.

It is exactly the same on the digital download that came with the album.

Has anyone else noticed this? Surely it is not intentional? Meant to make it sound like a lo-fi home recording?

Thanks

https://www.reddit.com/r/vinyl/comments/31vocc/sufjan_stevens_carrie_and_lowell_beautiful_album/

MrTeroo

BANNED
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Yes that's just how mine arrived. I don't suppose it is economical to attempt to send it back to the USA for replacement.

There is no mention in that thread of the background hiss that runs through the album? Does anyone else hear it on theirs?

I hear it on both vinyl and digital versions

You can hear it here, right at the end is best, you can hear it cut out.

Should Have Known Better

MrTeroo

BANNED
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I just found this in an old review:
Stevens has retreated from maximalism to the extent that parts of Carrie & Lowell were recorded on an iPhone app in hotel rooms (many tracks are bathed in background noise), but this process seems to have enhanced the intimacy and fragility of these confessionals. Stevens’ beautiful melodies here often have a near-childlike simplicity.
Read more at http://www.musicomh.com/reviews/albums/sufjan-stevens-carrie-lowell#DOec96QIf7Zm81lL.99 Lazy bu5t@rd!So much for audiophile qualty vinylJust created a new section in my filing system - piece of cr@p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts