Enjoying records again

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Found that my recently repaired and mildly-tweaked Cyrus 2 + PSX has seen me enjoying vinyl again this week, assisted by the fact that my two children and wifey have had other commitments in the evenings, taking them out the house. (All three of them are not really conducive with listening to music as anything but a background noise). Been listening to about three albums per night. Yesterday I even saw myself hitting the Buy It Now button on new-to-me record: a 'mint'* copy of Vangelis's Soil Festivities on vinyl, an album that up to now I've only appreciated on CD. (Actually it took me about 20 years to appreciate it on CD, when my dad first bought the CD in 1990 I thought it was the biggest load of rubbish I'd ever heard and only recently have I begun to admire its qualities).

This is the first LP, new or used, that I've bought for about 4-5 years, and would be the first record bought in that time too were it not for a Record Store Day purchase of Pack Up / Rollerblades by Eliza Doolittle a couple of years ago (don't ask), which takes the accolade for being quite simply the most horrid-sounding new record I have ever purchased: lo-fi, distorted, and sibilant, pressed on very noisy vinyl. Sounds like it was pressed by well-and-trully-shagged stampers, or maybe the Neumann was broke that day and they cut the lacquer by taping a sewing needle to a paper cone and playing an iPhone into it.

*I'll believe that when I hear it.

peter312

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I'm pleased for you, Major.

I have similarly started to enjoy my records (and CDS as it happens) a lot more although in my case it is down to being able to re-site my set up in the lounge. All thanks to a strategic furniture change :)

All the best

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
So, you think you might stick at it with vinyl after all? As you'd imagine, a lot of my old vinyl isn't that great with regards to condition, but I still play them and wouldn't be without them. When I can afford it, I'm going to get one of those posh cleaning machines, which I'm sure will improve things quite a bit. Even with my better albums, I still get the odd crackle, but that's ok *smile*

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
So, you think you might stick at it with vinyl after all? As you'd imagine, a lot of my old vinyl isn't that great with regards to condition, but I still play them and wouldn't be without them. When I can afford it, I'm going to get one of those posh cleaning machines, which I'm sure will improve things quite a bit. Even with my better albums, I still get the odd crackle, but that's ok *smile*

I suspect my fad with vinyl will wear off to a degree. But I'm enjoying while it lasts. Wouldn't mind one of those cleaning machines myself but I don't have the room nor the money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts