Caring For / Maintaining on old Marantz CD Player

Hawkwind16

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi

Can anyone offer some advice / tips ?

I have a Marantz CD Player from the mid 90's. I changed the CD drawer drive belt a few years back (a common failure on these) but it feels like its about to go again. I didn't do any maintenance of the electronics or lubrication of any mechanisms previously.

I'm about to change the belt again, but what can i also do to generally maintain the CD player and perhaps improve longevity ?

I don't mind taking to a local hi fi repairs shop if needed

Thanks

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
You really can't do very much to prevent the rubber belts turning back into the oily mush they started from, though as someone who's had to change belts on several old cassette decks, I've noticed some do seem more prone than others. Beyond that you can keep the laser clean and keep any metal or plastic cogs greased (but don't completely gum them obviously). Turntable motor is usually direct drive (I can't think of any that aren't), maybe a drop of linseed oil on the motor would help to slow down the inevitable bearing wear, but then again I've not had one fail on me, they do seem long lasting. I've heard it said that the lasers wear out also. When that happens I doubt there's any remedy other than a replacement laser, but I've got a 29 year old CD player here in my home studio that was absolutely hammered for the first two decades of its life and still plays fine, so I really can't say how often they wear out.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
1) Clean laser lense with cotton buds. No chemicals.

2) Change drawer belt if it slacks.

3) If the opening mechanism cog teeth are too far gone, affordable replacement cogs are sold. Especially readily available for Marantz/Philips since they deteriorated a lot.

4) Fresh silicone grease on drawer cogs teeth and the sled rails. Clean old grease with isopropyl alcohol before applying new. Make sure no grease ends on the belt or the laser lense.

5) Only go to a service tech for recapping failing cappacitors.

6) If its a higher monetary or emotional value CDP, you might consider buying a replacement laser pickup mechanism to keep in stock. They will only get rarer. See which one your CDP model uses. clicky

Reactions: Al ears

Hawkwind16

May 22, 2016
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
You really can't do very much to prevent the rubber belts turning back into the oily mush they started from, though as someone who's had to change belts on several old cassette decks, I've noticed some do seem more prone than others. Beyond that you can keep the laser clean and keep any metal or plastic cogs greased (but don't completely gum them obviously). Turntable motor is usually direct drive (I can't think of any that aren't), maybe a drop of linseed oil on the motor would help to slow down the inevitable bearing wear, but then again I've not had one fail on me, they do seem long lasting. I've heard it said that the lasers wear out also. When that happens I doubt there's any remedy other than a replacement laser, but I've got a 29 year old CD player here in my home studio that was absolutely hammered for the first two decades of its life and still plays fine, so I really can't say how often they wear out.

Thanks Major - what is a good lubricant to use ?

Hawkwind16

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Vladimir said:

3) If the opening mechanism cog teeth are too far gone, affordable replacement cogs are sold. Especially readily available for Marantz/Philips since they deteriorated a lot.

4) Fresh silicone grease on drawer cogs teeth and the sled rails. Clean old grease with isopropyl alcohol before applying new. Make sure no grease ends on the belt or the laser lense.

6) If its a higher monetary or emotional value CDP, you might consider buying a replacement laser pickup mechanism to keep in stock. They will only get rarer. See which one your CDP model uses. clicky

Looks like you've answered the question on lubricants, thanks. But where can i get new laser mechanisms once i've identified the model ?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Hawkwind16 said:
Looks like you've answered the question on lubricants, thanks. But where can i get new laser mechanisms once i've identified the model ?

Firsly look for shops online. Google the brand and model + keyword "replacement". Search on ebay if you can't find shops. Worst case scenario buy a donor unit with low hour usage and store it in a box in dry place at room temp.

Bwell

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
I have brought one of a Marantz 6000 ki signature but the unit had an annoying jump mid way through CDs so I replaced the laser but this has only gotten worse I have tried adjusting the laser but it just won't play with out jumping. Possible a faulty replacement but please does anyone have any advice ??

Last edited:
I have brought one of a Marantz 6000 ki signature but the unit had an annoying jump mid way through CDs so I replaced the laser but this has only gotten worse I have tried adjusting the laser but it just won't play with out jumping. Possible a faulty replacement but please does anyone have any advice ??
Where did you buy this Marantz? You may need to replace the whole transport mechanism rather than just the laser, or is that what you have done?

Bwell

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
Where did you buy this Marantz? You may need to replace the whole transport mechanism rather than just the laser, or is that what you have done?
The laser comes with a transport system motors cogs etc
But not transport draw etc if that's what you mean ?
It's a

Laser Unit VAM1201/VAM1202 + Mechanism

The laser comes with a transport system motors cogs etc
But not transport draw etc if that's what you mean ?
It's a

Laser Unit VAM1201/VAM1202 + Mechanism
In that case I am intrigued as to why it works, or rather doesn't, in this way unless. The actual drawer shouldn't make any difference. It was a possible fault in the mechanism itself that I was alluding to as the laser seems fine because it either reads or it doesn't and I don't think all of your CD s can have a bad sector in exactly the same place.
It all points to a mechanical fault.

Bwell

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
Thanks I'm asking for a refund on the replacement laser and will buy another one.
It's a pain to fit but a labour of love I guess.
Just hope it works

Reactions: Al ears

Mike Hunt

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
With an added caveat: Don't use any grease from a spray can. It will almost certainly contain solvents, which could damage the gears.
I use lithium grease for any non-metal gears.

Bwell

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
I don't think I'd recommend that :LOL: It's (usually) a petroleum based oil, which could attack plastics, and it also has quite a high viscosity.
Already wasn't working before I tried adding that.
But thanks for advice I will get the right stuff as I have another laser on the way incase this one is faulty.
Anything else I can try , what about tips on calibration of the laser incase it's no set correctly

Bwell

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
Mate, I will ask again because you really are wasting your time on a third laser. Did the guy who sold you the player state it was fully working?
Don't you think I would have already mentioned it if they had said it wasn't working.
Please don't ask again. Practical advice please on fixing the player if you don't have any then. Thanks but no thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts