Car Stereo?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Big Chris:Andrew Everard:
Just didn't quite get me as interested as I thought it would.

BTW, slight snip in my previous answer, so slightly amended your response accordingly to remove references. Apologies

Hey, we're all visitors to your playground. You're the boss.

:)

(tick tock)

its not just me then...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
ashworth_rich:
its not just me then...

emotion-18.gif

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:
Big Chris:the_lhc:Big Chris:Andrew Everard: That CX-7 mentioned earlier is getting ever more tempting...

Be prepared to like it. I took one out yesterday and was really impressed by it. Only thing I was slightly let down by, was the turbo lag. The pull in 6th at 50/60mph isn't what I was expecting from a car with 260bhp and 280lbft torque.

That's peak torque though, which won't be available at low revs. Most 6-speed cars are only pulling about 1700rpm at 60, at 50 you'll be just about at idle, there aren't many engines that can handle that, and certainly no turbos. A twin-turbo perhaps or one of VWs TSi engines, which are turbo-charged and supercharged for the lower revs maybe, but most turbo-diesels cut the turbo in at about 1750-1800 rpm, petrol turbos slightly higher IME. What engine is it?

2.3 Direct injection petrol 4 banger.

Interesting, I just looked it up on Parkers and their review of the CX-7 even states: "The car has good in-gear pulling power too but there can be a flat-spot in performance if you find yourself in too high a gear".

But it is a petrol so you usually have to stir the stick a bit more than you would with a diesel.

Don't know the actual designation for it. It's the same lump as in the
Mazda 3 & 6 MPS models.
Only thing is I guess I've got used to my Wife's Fiat Stilo 1.9D Mjet
150. That thing has a 6 speed box and definitely pulls from low revs in
top. I guess that's the advantage of a torquey diesel over a
free-revving petrol, plus it probably weighs 3/400 lbs less than the
CX-7.

I think that's the same engine as the GM/Saab/Alfa 1.9Td isn't it? I had that engine in my 57 Astra SRi company car and it absolutely flew. The 9-3's got it as well but it's a lot heavier, still quick though. Incidentally in 6th that's doing 2000 rpm at 70mph, so the turbo's only just started spinning, at 60mph the revs are so low the engine actually shudders from the effort, which the Astra never did, so it's either the weight or possibly the Astra was slightly lower geared than the Saab.

Yeah. It's the same GM lump as the Astra. her little Stilo also takes off like a scalded cat regardless of what gear you're in. Nice little car, and we got it January last year on an '07' plate, with just over 4,000 miles on it (dealer demonstrator) for £10,000. Not bad as list was nudging £15k. If only I could fit my drum-kit in it.................

:)

Luke S:

Was just interested to know how many of you applied the same high standard of listening you maintain in your house to your car as well. I know im pretty picky about my car speakers and luckily the car I own at the moment has a fantastic set up. (Pretty sure it Bose but will have to check)

Anyway I just read that B&W speakers are a standard in the newest top end Jaguars so it clearly isn't just me that thinks this way.

Opinions?

I have a very average JVC system with the speakers mounted in the doors. I have always had this strange phobia about expensive car set-ups - probably because so many of my friends had their cars broken into, so I deliberately keep it to a minimum.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:Luke S:

Was just interested to know how many of you applied the same high standard of listening you maintain in your house to your car as well. I know im pretty picky about my car speakers and luckily the car I own at the moment has a fantastic set up. (Pretty sure it Bose but will have to check)

Anyway I just read that B&W speakers are a standard in the newest top end Jaguars so it clearly isn't just me that thinks this way.

Opinions?

I have a very average JVC system with the speakers mounted in the doors. I have always had this strange phobia about expensive car set-ups - probably because so many of my friends had their cars broken into, so I deliberately keep it to a minimum.

Yep. I had my subs, my CD changer and my lovely Genesis amp stolen too

A

Anonymous

Iv'e got a very average setup in the car. A Genesis Profile 2, Pioneer Head Unit and SPL Dynamics SD 6.2 Component Speakers (recommended over on TalkAudio for having a decent amount of bass as I didn't want a sub)

A

Anonymous

Get an Impreza. You can't hear the stereo, but who cares!

A

Anonymous

idc:
I am getting an Aston Martin, but I can't decide between a newer DBS with the B&O or an older DB9 with the Linn. Please help.

Thanks.

oooh-wee!

Tough choice :)

A

Anonymous

Have a Honda CRV ctdi EXC with a Sat Nav/CD/Radio unit which sounds very good on a 6 speaker system. Not sure who the manufacturer is of the Unit, it might be Alpine I'm told.

Had it chipped a while back which gave a good increase in both performance and MPG. Get around 40mpg nowadays driving it swiftly, power is up to 170bhp/300lbs torque.

A

Anonymous

Hi there,

I would like to pick your brains.

What's a decent mid class car radio that plays FLAC files of a SD card?

Many thx,

Michael

Regisss

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello!

Does anyone here own VW passat B8 or latest VW Golf with Dynaudio Confidence sound pack? Does this car audio system plays FLAC files?

Maybe any comments on sound experience? :)

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Regisss said:
Hello!

Does anyone here own VW passat B8 or latest VW Golf with Dynaudio Confidence sound pack? Does this car audio system plays FLAC files?

Maybe any comments on sound experience? :)

My wife's Golf VII has the Dynaudio pack. Frankly, the sound quality is disappointing: flat and harsh.

Never bothered to try FLACs in the car, so cannot help you there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts