Can you split HDMI leads?

Nos

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
I have a new Samsung 6 series Tv UE55KU6470, the problem I have is that the three HDMI ports are in use and the optical output is used fot the Samsung soundbar, if we listen to music off "Youtube" the soundbar is not loud enough, so I want to put a audio output to my seperate sound system, the Tv dos not have a headphone socket, "Samsung" have told me to just swap over a HDMI lead each time I need more sound, This Tv will be recessed into a wall so to access the rear will be a pain, so as posted, can I use a HDMI split lead, so one lead is to my "XBox one" and the other to my Amp, both using a single HDMI port from the TV and any problems with cross feeds etc. Thanks Nos

D

Deleted member 2457

Nos said:
I have a new Samsung 6 series Tv UE55KU6470, the problem I have is that the three HDMI ports are in use and the optical output is used fot the Samsung soundbar, if we listen to music off "Youtube" the soundbar is not loud enough, so I want to put a audio output to my seperate sound system, the Tv dos not have a headphone socket, "Samsung" have told me to just swap over a HDMI lead each time I need more sound, This Tv will be recessed into a wall so to access the rear will be a pain, so as posted, can I use a HDMI split lead, so one lead is to my "XBox one" and the other to my Amp, both using a single HDMI port from the TV and any problems with cross feeds etc. Thanks Nos
I think I am right in saying you need something like this:

http://www.cablesuk.co.uk/5-Port-HDMI-Auto-Switch-Box-with-Remote_5-x-1-p1362.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_campaign=FeedReach&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp5n3sZP_1QIVzrvtCh0imQoeEAQYBCABEgLoqPD_BwE

It says it will connect to HD TV.

Nos

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Gel, just one thing that I/we may have forgot, the HDMI sockets on the TV are for input, not for anything coming out! the only output I can find is the optical cable, now having said that instead of using the optical cable for the soundbar, I could use the HDMI ARC socket on the Tv but that is classed as "IN" on the sound bar instructions, and this cable connects to the soundbars HDMI ARC "OUT" socket, we know that the sound is coming from the Tv to the soundbar and through the soundbars speakers, so Iam even more confused when is "IN" the same as "OUT". At the moment the three HDMI sockets on the Tv are all conected to external sources ie XBox one, CD/Bluray player and Freestat, clear as mud, anyhow thanks for your time. Nos

D

Deleted member 2457

Nos said:
Thanks Gel, just one thing that I/we may have forgot, the HDMI sockets on the TV are for input, not for anything coming out! the only output I can find is the optical cable, now having said that instead of using the optical cable for the soundbar, I could use the HDMI ARC socket on the Tv but that is classed as "IN" on the sound bar instructions, and this cable connects to the soundbars HDMI ARC "OUT" socket, we know that the sound is coming from the Tv to the soundbar and through the soundbars speakers, so Iam even more confused when is "IN" the same as "OUT". At the moment the three HDMI sockets on the Tv are all conected to external sources ie XBox one, CD/Bluray player and Freestat, clear as mud, anyhow thanks for your time. Nos
thumbs_up.png

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Nos said:

yep here: https://www.inksdirect.org.uk/Alba-Manual-2-Way-HDMI-Selector?utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_source=bc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjNrJ_5mf2QIVJbXtCh3VIgIhEAQYAiABEgJll_D_BwE

£7.99 .... it'll do the job just as Well as they expansive ones.

abacus

ARC stands for Audio Return Channel and is in addition to HDMI in. (You will note it is only available on 1 input)

What HDMI inputs and outputs do you have on your sound bar; as if it has an ARC out and a HDMI in then you can plug your Xbox directly into the sound bar and ARC out to the ARC input on your TV, then use the optical lead for your amp.

Bill

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I have an older generation amp that doesnt have 4k passthrough. This is killing me as I have a 4k tv and a selection of 4k sources but no way to go through my beautiful sounding amp. So I bought 2 types of HDMI splitters. One off ebay which didnt even show a signal down one path never mind both. The other was bought off amazon and cost around 30 quid and worked in that it split the signal, but didnt work in that it forces the tv to only allow 1080P.
The reason I am posting is twofold:

1 - The cheaper unit was rubbish
2 - The more expensive one with many good reviews 'worked' but definitely had a degradation in picture quality

Im not getting into the debate of whether or not HDMI cables differ. I believe they do but marginally with pictures. You can tell more through sound - especially bass if your av setup is up to the job. But this definitely had a picture that was worse on a static screen so I can only imagine it was on the cusp of the digital 'drop off' - the point that all digital cables fail after a certain length.

Personally I am waiting till im ready to spend 1600 or so on an upgrade now instead of chasing work-arounds.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts