Can you recommend speakers to pair with a Rega Elex R?

Musicman

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
This is my first post!

I have recently purchased a Rega Elex R to go with my Bluesound Vault 2 source. I am using Tellerium Q Black interconnects and Blue+ speaker cable. My current speakers are Focal 806vs.

I am looking to upgrade the speakers and have a budget in the region of £1,500. I like a good deep bass with large, expansive soundstage and a smooth, natural sound. I have in mind floor standers rather than book shelves.

Can you offer your recommendations as a good pairing with the Rega Elex R?

I am thinking of the following, for example:

B&W CM8 S2

Quad S5 series

Tannoy XT8F

Dynaudio Xcite X34

Focal 926

Obviously, the system needs to be balanced and a good match. Would the above speakers be too much for the Rega Elex R to handle and should I be looking in the £1,000 range instead?

We are looking to buy a new home and so I don't have a room size at the moment, but it would likely be at least 15 x 13.

Looking forward to your advice!

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
While not floorstanders you should try ATC SCM11. I found this pairing to be one of the best systems I ever had, so much so I'm going back to the 11s for my Elicit-r. They'll comfortably fill a room that size. Your budget isn't far off SCM 19s either, definitely worth a demo too.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Everyone can make suggestions, especially if they own the combination, but as always the best approach is to go along to your local dealer and arrange a demo. That acts as a starting point from which you can either refine or widen your search. But ultimately the best way is to get the speakers home to play in your room with the Elex-r. I would be cautious about buying floorstanding speakers before you move into your new house, as you don't know how they are going to interact with the room.

The current Rega RX5's might be a good match but are slighty over budegt. I've heard the RX3's but not the 5's, and there has been little in the way of reviews.

I have a 15 x 12 room with the older RS5's, and I would describe them as open, clear, good bass, and a wide soundstage. They did sound very good with the Elex-r when I recently demoed the amp at home. The older RS5's second hand can be picked up for less than £700 - check out some well known auction sites.

If I had circa £1500 to spend on floorstanders this is where I would go first, http://www.iqspeakers.co.uk/speakers but it does depend on how close you are to Cheltenham.

Musicman

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, I had heard that the ATC SCM11s are very good but was unsure of their suitability with the Elex R. I have Quadraspire QX600 speaker stands which l rate highly. Do the ATCs have good deep bass?

Any advice on a DAC with the Rega? My number one choice at the moment is the Chord 2Qute.

Musicman said:
Thanks for the feedback, I had heard that the ATC SCM11s are very good but was unsure of their suitability with the Elex R. I have Quadraspire QX600 speaker stands which l rate highly. Do the ATCs have good deep bass?

Any advice on a DAC with the Rega? My number one choice at the moment is the Chord 2Qute.

To be perfectly honest you don't get an amp to suit your speakers. Your choice of speakers have to suit your room and,if they do, you can drive with just about any amp as long as it has the connections you require.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I found this combo to have plenty of bass for my tastes but you should demo. They're rated down to 56Hz but they go much lower than that I'm sure.

As for a dac, I was using a Chord Mojo with this combo and it was great. Provided it has enough inputs for you and you don't mind it's slightly irregular connections it's hard to better.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Musicman said:
Thanks Chris. I take it that you've since upgraded?

I moved on from the 11s because I didn't think stand mounts were a good idea with my kids becoming more active at the time. I moved to floor standers, changed amp to a Unitiqute 2/ Nap100. I needn't have worried, the kids steer clear of the speakers. I then tried a few other stand mounts but knew in the back of my mind nothing would match how good I had found the Elex-r/ SCM11 combo. Picked up an Elicit-r ex dem for a great price, had a very brief run with PMC twenty 21s, but I'm now going back to my favourite SCM11s! I might even get a Mojo again.

It was good fun trying the other gear, careful shopping and luck with ex dem and 2nd hand got me through without losing much at all. This time I'm staying well put!

Musicman

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
Sometimes we need to experience other stuff in life to work out that what we've got is the right thing! I demoed the Elicit and Elex extensively and kept coming back to the Elex. It might be because I was trying speakers that were a better match for the Elex. I listened to the Elicit last time with a bigger speaker, the B&W CM9 S2. It sounded very good. I've also heard that you really need to run in the Elicit and perhaps I've never heard one properly run in. In the end the Elex also fitted my budget better.

I'm liking the Elex so much that I might use it as a preamp when I eventually upgrade. How's the Elicit settling in for you?

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Musicman said:

bass is controlled but not very deep

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Musicman said:
I'm liking the Elex so much that I might use it as a preamp when I eventually upgrade. How's the Elicit settling in for you?

Love the Elicit and the extra power should be beneficial with the SCM11s, not that I found the Elex-r lacking in any way with them. I guess bass will be fuller with the Elicit.

I picked up the Elicit for a little more than the price of an Elex, it probably isn't worth the full price jump. I'll report back when I get my SCM11s. I'm waiting on delivery.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts