Can someone help explain DAC

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm a little in the dark about streaming music and lookng it up on the net only confuses the subject. I have a Macbook and a traditional seperates system and want to wirelessly play the music from the mac to the Hifi. Modem is upstairs from Hifi. What do I need (£400ish)

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Is all your music on the Mac in iTunes? If so, in what format? The simplest way to stream from the Mac to your hi-fi would be to add an AirPort Express to your wireless network and connect that into your hi-fi system. It will handle AAC, MP3 and Apple Lossless files, but not FLAC.

A

Anonymous

I have music in Mp3 Flac Wav and Itunes. I play the Flac files in 'Vox' app

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Andy's option is lowest cost, and should you want to upgrade you can always use the digital out from the Airport Epress into a standalone DAC. But assuming Andy is right about FLAC compatability (no reason to think he's not, and it does accord with Apple's lack of support for FLAC) then you can't play those files.

A dearer option would be to use something like the Arcam rDAC with its streaming dongle - not sure of the precise cost but it's around your budget. It's a great DAC (I have a wired one in an Ayre / Harbeth setup). I think, stress think, it can handle FLAC, but do please check if you go down this route.

What would I do? Start low cost and go for the Airport Express option, buying some software to convert the FLAC files into something it can handle. I use dbPoweramp, which converts FLAC to virtually any format you want. It's excellent but is PC only, but there are MAC equivalents, some of whch are free I think. You should be able to get something for around £30 max I would have thought. You can always keep the original FLAC files for backup (I do), the converted files will sound the same as the original if you use a lossless format (Apple Lossless being the obvious option). If you have a lot of FLAC files make sure you get software that can do batch conversions - bit of a pain but at the end of it you have something that is more easily managed within one player.

Good luck

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
First you can just take the Macbook, put it next to the hifi and plug it in using 5 quid 3.5mm stereo > twin RCA lead.

If you want to upgrade the sound of that, spend up to 400 quid and connect an external DAC between your Mac and hifi.

If you don't like the computer in the hifi room, get a Squeezebox touch for 200 quid, plug that into your hifi and stream the music from your computer.

If the Squeezebox touch still doesn't sound good enough, spend another 500 quid or so on a better external DAC.

If you don't want to have a computer switched on anywhere in the house while listening to music, buy one of the swishy streaming devices featured in this month's mag. [Edit, I do believe some of them also need a computer, perhaps others with a greater interest in these devices might comment]

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Or a Sonos ZP90 plugs into your amp, and a NAS drive to plug into your router. All your files go on the NAS. Control it with your Mac or better still Iphone /Pod /Pad or Android device.

You dont strictly need the NAS if your going to use your Mac to control it with, but you'll soon get bored of that!

Dont worry about adding a DAC for now, that would go between the Sonos ZP90 and your Amp, personally dont think you need to bother as the DAC in the ZP90 sounds ok to me.

TRENDING THREADS