Can anyone with a cyrus cd8se load 120mm or more discs???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Although I do really like my player in every other way and dont seem to have any of the other problems the player should play 120.4mm but mine refuses at 120.2mm and takes a number of atempts, ie eject and then press eject again to reload the disc and then it works.Should Cyrus do a product recall?? If too many units are at fault they should. Do they have a fix for this yet???? If not when?? I am here in Aus and I understand they are waiting for instructions on what the fix is. Does anyone Know?????

A

Anonymous

An aditional thought why not everyone who reads this who has a cd8se leave a post simply to say if your machine will or will not play larger discs, or if you neen to press eject to get any didcs to play.That way we can see if this is ' A few customers' as cyrus say.

A

Anonymous

Because everyone with a CD8SE is going to be able to measure their disks with 0.1mm accuracy? Hmmm, doubtful.

A

Anonymous

A cheap vernier here is Aus is about 5 Aus dollars, which is about 2 pounds. If someone is having loading problems and have spent over 1000 pounds, in my case 3000 dollars on a cd player, then I dont see the problem.

A

Anonymous

esky:If someone is having loading problems and have spent over 1000 pounds, in my case 3000 dollars on a cd player, then I dont see the problem.

I have to agree with Grimaldi. People that don't possess above average DIY knowledge are not going to have the necessary skills to use a vernier with precision to accurately take a measurement of their CD's. A better question to ask would be; how many 8se users have found that upon trying to load a disc, the display remains at "Load"? Thereby it's highly likely that they've found a disc that is 120mm or more in diameter, and they have an 8se unit that is at fault for not being able to handle them.

It's going to be VERY difficult to judge the scale of the disc load issue.

A

Anonymous

The problem is Cyrus seems to be saying only a few players are at fault if everone who was and was not having problems could leave a short post here simply as a survey of the site users who have a cd8se so a percentage of the site users cd8se at fault could be determined.So that cyrus cant say it is only a couple of players, which it seems it is not.Maybe measuring is too hard, but as you have said a short discription of the simptoms is enough.I also agree that actual discussion if problems is better on the other posts and keep this if it works as a survey??

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
esky:The problem is Cyrus seems to be saying only a few players are at fault if everone who was and was not having problems could leave a short post here simply as a survey of the site users who have a cd8se so a percentage of the site users cd8se at fault could be determined.

Good idea. I'm going to take the CD8SE home tonight and feed it a diet of my own CD-Rs to see which do/don't play. I'll report back here tomorrow with the results.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
OK, thought I'd report back with some early findings. I brought the Cyrus CD 6 SE home this evening (the 8 SE is currently being given a thorough testing by our Tech Ed in the hi-fi test room at work, and he wants to run it for a full week for his own analysis).

So far I've tested the 6 SE with 31 discs (mainly CD-Rs) and have had four Disc Errors when the disc wouldn't load first time. However, all four discs did play the second time I loaded them. I've been testing with a mix of Maxell and TDK CD-Rs, both 74 min and 80 min versions, all recordings made initially on my Philips CDR 950 CD recorder.

I'll carry on testing more discs in the morning and let you know how I get on.

A

Anonymous

To save time in checking discs, what I did was when I found a disc that would not play I put my finger in the center hole and if you then put another disc on your finger next to it you can see if it is larger or smaller, really easily. When I find a larger disc I try it in the player (CD 8SE) and so far the larger ones never worked. Up to now I have found around 80 discs, which is about 5 percent of the ones I tried on the player, which either have trouble to load or don't load at all (around half of them). I also found some cdr's which would not load at all. It is not a brand you can probably check as I am in Aus and the discs are Strathfields, as shop over here. Anyway the proof that it is a size probem is that I had a bunch of these discs that would not load, so as they were only copies and I was not so bothered to loose them, I scraped the edge of some of them to reduce the size a little bit. The "reduced size" ones loaded and played with no problems, while the "uncsraped ones" still did not load.

I understand that when a disc does not load the first time is because the disc is quite large and is catching on something internal, but when the eject button is pressed and pressed again to reload the cd, the machine relines up the disc, and if you are lucky it clears the problem and loads. Do you have any discs you know to be over 120mm? You might find that the few problems that you had up to now are due to slightly larger disks.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Right, been up since the early hours of this morning finishing my test on the Cyrus CD 6 SE. Over the last 24hrs I've played 100 discs on the Cyrus: a mix of pre-recorded, shop-bought ones, and my own recordings on CD-R and CD-RW, made on a Philips CDR 950 CD recorder. I've used a mix of recordable CDs from TDK and Maxell, with running times of 74mins and 80mins.

Here are the results: all the pre-recorded discs played first time, with no errors. However, of the CD-R discs I tried, eight failed to load and play first time and a Disc Error message was shown on the Cyrus's display. Of those eight, six played on the second attempt to load after I'd ejected the disc and re-inserted it. Two of them took three or four attempts before they'd load and play.

I then loaded all eight 'problem' discs into my reference Naim CD5i CD player in the same system and they all loaded and played first time, with no problems whatsoever. Details of the discs that didn't play on the Cyrus first time are as follows:

1) David Gray's Lost Songs

Recorded on TDK CDR-XG (74mins)

2) David Gray: A Century Ends

Maxell CD-R (74mins)

3) Eels: Souljacker

Maxell CD-R (80mins)

4) Tracy Chapman: Let It Rain

TDK CDR-XG (80mins)

5) Bax Symphonies Nos. 5 + 6

TDK CDR-XG (80 mins)

Failed to load three times, worked on fourth attempt

6) Prince: Diamond & Pearls

Maxell CD-R XL-II (74mins)

7) Morcheeba: Charango

TDK CDR-XG (80mins)

Failed to load twice, played on third attempt.

8) The Sopranos: Peppers & Eggs

TDK CDR-XG (74mins)

For the record, a Philips CD-RW (re-writable) recording of Faur‚'s Requiem played first time in the Cyrus and Naim, no problem. So overall that's a first-play failure rate of 8 per cent on the Cyrus player.

A

Anonymous

Still no problems with mine, but then I don't have many CD-Rs (am I the only person who buys their own CDs?).

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'm having no problems with the Cyrus CDxtse/DAC X, either - it's played both all pre-recorded CDs (more than 50 so far) i've thrown at it, and five CD-R discs (all Sony). I'll do a disc-swap with Andy C and see if there are any differences between the two players' reactions...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Andy Clough:
Right, been up since the early hours of this morning finishing my test on the Cyrus CD 6 SE.

Ah, but did you have the vernier calipers out?

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:I'm having no problems with the Cyrus CDxtse/DAC X, either - it's played both all pre-recorded CDs (more than 50 so far) i've thrown at it, and five CD-R discs (all Sony). I'll do a disc-swap with Andy C and see if there are any differences between the two players' reactions...

Good effort, but by my calculation Esky has tested 1,600 discs so far (80 being 5% of the discs he has tested). Some people have too much time on their hands!

A

Anonymous

Hi yes something like that, or possibly more(I have a really big cd collection).It terms of time normally I would't have the time as we have a large cattle property, but I have had flu for the last week and the better half has banned me from being outside, so yes this week I have had far too much time on my hands!! Although the upside I have listened to a lot of music!!!

Still havent heard back from Cyrus is there a fix for this yet???

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Just tried the eight problem CD-R discs in our CD 8 SE in the office and it played seven of them fine first time. Only the Morcheeba disc caused a problem: the player pulled it in half way, then stopped. Loaded properly on the third attempt.

A

Anonymous

Did you manage to measure any of the problem discs? By the way thanks as I wasn't aware that the CD-RW worked until your post. I have so many of them and as the instructions didn't mention CD-RW, I didn't even try them... what an idiot!! Thanks as now I have some more to listen to!!!!

Sorry to ask again: has a fix been found for the larger discs problem yet? as Cyrus Aus seems to understand a problem exists, but has no fix for it yet.

A

Anonymous

I've found my Cambridge Audio 740C to be finicky with certain discs - namely ones with minor scratches which play absolutely fine on all other players but not on the CA - is it perhaps that the better players are quicker to baulk at lesser quality materials?

A

Anonymous

I wonder if anyone(a bit closer than me in Aus)could loan the What HiFi team a couple of larger 120mm or more discs that cause loading problems, both cdr and pre recorded.I will be happy to myself, but postage a package to the UK takes 10 days.

A

Anonymous

A quick addition, it seems that CD-RW are a little more tempremental as I tried a few Maxell CD-RW this evening and the first problem I noticed is that the CD 8 SE seems to have problems finding the data stream with these disc ( i.e. they get to track 1 and 0.00 time and stop). So to start playing you need to eject and restart. Also they seem more prone to skip. Discs that I found skipping on the CD 8 SE did not skip on other players.

A

Anonymous

The service team from Cyrus contacted me this morning and they have recieved a fix for the larger disc problem. So if this is really resolved, then maybe the ultimate cd player does exist..

A

Anonymous

I've tried about 40 original CDs in 2 8SEs (I got the dealer to swap the first one due to the disc errors, the second gives me the same errors on the same discs).

Two CDs give disc errors

- Duffy, Rockferry

- Morrissey, Ringleader of the Tormentors.

I also tried the Duffy CD on a 3rd 8SE at a different dealer, still wouldn't play. I didn't try the Morrissey album on the 3rd 8SE. Interestingly, CD-R copies of the Duffy album also won't play, although other albums on CD-Rs from the same spindle will.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts