Can anyone recommend any small speakers up to £500?

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi.

Due to room size constraints 3m x 4m with a lot of "stuff" and also needing speakers to "blend in" I'm after some small but amazing speakers! I have b&w 686's at the moment but fancy an upgrade. My budget is up to £500 so my list so far includes:

B&W CM1
AVI neutron 4's or 5's

Cheers,

Matt

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Get yourself some B&W 685's and Partington Dreadnought stands and youll have a very noticeable difference there and then.

The 685's vs the 686's are night and day and the 685's will work oh so well with your NAD amp :)

If not the B&W 685's have a nosey for some 2nd hand M/A GS10's if you can find them. Superb speakers

T

the record spot

Seek out AVI Neutron III or IVs, or if you can, Quadral Pico on a deal. Small speakers though, but very, very good ones.

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
d_a_n1979:Get yourself some B&W 685's and Partington Dreadnought stands and youll have a very noticeable difference there and then.

The 685's vs the 686's are night and day and the 685's will work oh so well with your NAD amp :)

If not the B&W 685's have a nosey for some 2nd hand M/A GS10's if you can find them. Superb speakers

Hi thanks.

I am very tempted by the 685's but fear they might be a bit big and imposing in my room. The speakers need to be recessed against the back wall as much as possible and in the corners. They do have a front-firing port so should be able to do this more easily than any rear-firing speaker - is that correct??

Cheers,

Matt

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yes the 6856s are forward firing but that doesnt mean theyre find when placed against a wall or in a corner :(

Really speakers shouldnt be placed in corners at all due to the boom that will happen etc...

Are you using speaker stands currently?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Epos M5i or Rega R3. The Epos are relatively bass light/thight so the rear port should be fine against boundaries but you'd have to try at home. Regas have a very small footprint and are front ported.

regards

A

Anonymous

I don't think the 685 are a real upgrade, since they are from the same series; they will give you more soundstage and bass, but not more resolution.

A CM1 would be a good choice. They are small and you can get an excellent performance out of them when upgrading the amp and CDP. I have a friend who has them with a Moon I5 amp and NAD Master CDP and the result is incredible.

Maybe you can find a used PMC DB1+. They are very small and are very refined.

Also try the Epos M12i.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Fully agree with DM (as above) that the Rega R3's would be good. Theyre not the best out there for bass but they a superb sounding speaker and will fit into a corner good enough.

Currently there are some Rega R5's on eBay. They may be worth a look at.

DM - What's your opinion on those and what is their bass like?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
God yeah! Forgot about them too...

JD's spot on there re the Dali Lektor 1's. Great little speaker and will rival the 686's, if not better them

BUT...

I would say theyre not an upgrade, more of a sideways step and a completely different sound

John Duncan

d_a_n1979:they're not an upgrade, more of a sideways step

Tuh. A change is as good as a rest, I say
emotion-5.gif

Must hear the Lektors actually. I wish they'd made the floorstanders the same width as the 1s, I'd have them like a shot.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
mattc76:Hi.

Due to room size constraints 3m x 4m with a lot of "stuff" and also needing speakers to "blend in" I'm after some small but amazing speakers! I have b&w 686's at the moment but fancy an upgrade. My budget is up to £500 so my list so far includes:

B&W CM1
AVI neutron 4's or 5's

Cheers,

Matt

I reckon you might have to up the ante a smidge - Leema Xero at £645 - to get a decent upgrade, unless you go second hand - MA gold range.

TRENDING THREADS