Can anyone recommend a system for classical music?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
.......but without recomendations, the OP doesn't know where to start looking for it......... ;)

Thats where his local dealer comes in :)

Of course, this section tells us more than most offer to go no...

robbartholomew said:
This is used for the analysis of (mostly) classical music for ‘A’ Level music lessons and exams. We are looking for detail and clarity and the ability to differentiate one instrument from another.

For analysis purposes, you need a faithful speaker that isn't going to change what you're supposed to be hearing, and a prett neutral amplifier too.

As a nice and easy option, you could look at the Dynaudio Xeo3 wireless speakers. These are active speakers whose internal crossovers are active (electrical) rather than passive, and each of drivers have their own dedicated power amplifier. There are certain benefits for active speakers, but those benefits can be a little too much for some, so an audition is recommended. Other than a mains cable from each speaker to a wall outlet, there are no other wires around them. You get a small box which has various inputs into which you plug in your source components, and this transmits the signal wirelessly, so the 'system' can be placed anywhere in the room.

Alternatively, the KEF LS50 and a Pioneer A50 amplifier combination is pretty neutral and very good for revealing detail. Many speakers will add their own colorations, but the KEF's have been designed as a modern day BBC LS3/5a (for whom KEF made the drivers and helped in the design). Suffice to say that the performance of the LS50 is light years ahead. Also check out the Primare I22 amplifier.

9x6 metres is a large space to fill effectively, and many small speakers will struggle. For that sort of space, I would normally recommend floorstanders, but a good quality pair of standmounts will sound better. Even though the LS50's will be more revealing, I would probably recommend the KEF R300's, which are a three way design, more efficient, and will have a better low end performance - these will fill that sort of space better. You can also look at the PMC Twenty.22's, and the Monitor Audio GX50 or GX100. The floorstanding B&W CM8's might be worth a look too as they aren't a bass heavy speaker, and sound a little more open and revealing like a standmount speaker.

More efficient speakers will generally sound better at lower volumes (and when they're driven by a suitable amplifier).

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I am a high school music teacher and venture to suggest that matthewpiano's advice is spot on, based on my own experience.

My main teaching room is rather large (approximately10m square, with a high ceiling) and I project DVDs and computer-based material on a screen in addition to playing music. Bearing in mind my needs and with money tight, I opted for an immersive experience using anAV amp and 5.1 system, with wall-mounted Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers and sub courtesy of Richer Sounds. When my dad passed away, I inherited his beefy Yamaha DSP-A5 amp, a class leader in its day, and pressed it into service. As an ex teacher himself, he would have been delighted - it is still going strong!

I play 99% of my music from a Macbook Pro using Prologic - not a purist approach, but with pupils all round the room it works best and gives a better sense of scale than my Leema Pulse, Rega Saturn etc home system, to be honest! I also have the option of showing clips from movies on a big screen in surround sound, with the potential for real impact - going for the 'wow' factor with kids is never a bad thing and I want it to be better than they can experience at home!

F

FunkyMonkey

What you need is a Sony blu ray player with SACD. Nearly all of them do it.

An AV receiver.

And a 5.1 speaker set.

Easily meet your budget and given the amount of classical SACDs readily available, you could buy the hardware and all the software you will ever need using your budget.

And will leave ANY.....ANY....stereo system cowering with shame.

F

FunkyMonkey

P.s. by software, I mean any classical SACD. Of course, you could play CDs too. Or even stream from YouTube.

Pirmare i22? PMC Twenty 22??

I think David should read the OP's post again. Particular the budget bit.

Unless, of coarse, he was implying the OP only needs to change one piece of his current set-up. Which is very doubtful judging by his description of it.

expat

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Please dont buy any speakers till you try the brilliant ATC SCM11s the are magical with classical music and you will hear it as if your there. Im seeing second hand ones all the time so you should get some fro 5 to 700 pounds on fleabay or other sales sites,good luck

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I think what we've got to remember here is that we are talking about a very specific application. It isn't necessarily about what the OP likes the sound of best or whether the OP would choose the equipment for their own listening at home. For me, the main question is: What is the best way of achieving a value for money set-up that provides the level of insight required for AS/A-level listening?

I think your logic is hard to deny; and I have to admit that I was thinking about what was best for the music, rather than the classroom (except for its size).

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
We set up a room for music course at a well known uni in Sydders once. The boys (not me, I just humped the gear around) used separates from big brands - Denon or Marantz, can't remember which, for reasons of reliability - and Kef speakers with reasonably large bass units mounted on wall stands about 2 metres off the ground.

Think the LS50s might be a bit small.

robbartholomew

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Well, that certainly stirred up some debate, didn't it?.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

As regards speakers such as the B&W 685, and taking into account matthewpiano's observations - would you recommend any particular stand or mount for them. Our students, despite being normal teenagers, are mostly respectful of the equipment and I'd feel pretty confident about things not being knocked over, given sensible placement. Nevertheless, wall mounting would seem to be an option, would that compromise the sound at all? Would I need to damp the wall behind the speakers to prevent unwanted reflections?

The suggestion of using the AVI ADM9.1's is an interesting one which I'd not considered. I'll do a bit of research and might give a ring and take a trip up to Nailsea, if the boss will let me when I get back from my extended skiiing trip.

The Dynaudio Xeo3 suggestion is also an interesting idea. I'd better see if I can listen to such a system

Regarding funkymonkey's suggestion to buy blu ray - we have a couple of thousand CDs and I don't think it's an option to replace all these with blu ray discs, even f they were all available. We do, of course, stream from youtube, which is why we need te option to plug in a laptop.

Thanks for all the suggesions and comments. Keep 'em coming. Meanwhile I'm going to look up the specs and prices of some of your suggestions and find out where I an give them a listen.

Thanks again

Rob

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Blu Ray dvd players play cds as well as SACDs and dvds of course and a new Sony is only about £100.

There are a few speakers that can be wall mounted but most are best in some space.

matthewpiano

B&W 685s have brackets on the back for mounting them onto a well fixed and reasonably hefty screw on the wall and the fact that they are front ported should make them better than most in this application. Generally I'd stick to front ported designs if you do decide to wall mount some speakers.

F

FunkyMonkey

The blu ray players also stream from YouTube and iPlayer, and the Sonys stream special concerts from the Berlin Philharmonic.

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
The Marantz Pearl Lite SA-CD player and matching amp come in at around £1200 for the pair if bought together and are (imo) something of a bargain. I can't recommend the SA-CD player highly enough. Stunning audio quality and with the flexibilty of front and rear USB ports. I've not auditioned the amp but believe by all accounts that its something very special. Build quality is fabulous.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Alears said:
Pirmare i22? PMC Twenty 22??

I think David should read the OP's post again. Particular the budget bit.

Unless, of coarse, he was implying the OP only needs to change one piece of his current set-up. Which is very doubtful judging by his description of it.

With a budget of up to £2000, the LS50's could be squeezed in with the LS50's. I mentioned the 22's because of the sort of sound he was after - maybe I should've said Twenty.21's, which would be feasible with the Pioneer A50.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts