Can anybody recommend a good 3D film?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Prometheus, I thought, was a great film in the end, after nearly losing me after the first half hour. The 3D was subtle throughout the majority of the duration, but there were a few moments that were quite emmersive and impressive. Not the best I've seen for 3D, though.

Underworld: Awakening was actually very good for 3D and the film is just what you'd expect if you've seen any of the other films in the series. As dumb as they are, I don't mind them as spectacles.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Good choice on Underworld Awakening. I liked the 3d on this rather than the pop up book affect of a lot of these films. Thanks bretty I didn't want to be first to say it.

I found A monster in Paris very well done.

Sorry, but Hugo is typical of what I dislike about 3d.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I've got high hopes for 'the amazing spiderman'. I'm hoping the bit where he's web-slinging, first-person, looks amazing.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Resident Evil; Retribution. The picture, 3D and the sound track are both great, even if the film is a little 'meh'.

Fire ants; The invincible army. Great picture, with some nice 3d and a really interesting doc, to boot.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Ultimate Wave Tahiti. A surfing doc with 9 time world champion Kelly Slater. Sometimes the film's 3D is a little flat, but in other parts it's spectacular.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
The Amazing Spider man. Pretty good throughout the whole film, but during the action set-pieces, it's just brilliant. Much better than the 3D was in the cinema.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
GSB said:
Iv'e pre-ordered Dredd3D,read some reviews saying the 3D is great.....we will see :)

It's the only film that's 3D has impressed me at the cinema. I usually find the 'Real3D' at the flicks really flat, but all the slow mo drug sequences in Dredd looked great, so i'm expecting them to look amazing at home on the PJ.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I still think Coraline is the best 3D film available. I enjoy the film on its own merits, but the use of 3D makes it more engaging.

Depth is used very consciously to sculpt different emotional landscapes. The "real world" is purposefully drab and flat, while the "other world" looks enticingly vivid and deep. It's a markedly different experience from the 2D version.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Having now watched Finding Nemo in 3D i can recommend it, far better than others i have seen so far.

All the other 3D films i have are up on the same Blu-ray disk as 2D & 3D versions, so not dedicated & this may have some bearing on picture quality. Until now i thought Hugo was probably the best.

Regards ...

eremis666666

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Would also recommend Hugo, Ocean Wonderland is an interesting documentary but has some fantastic 3D in it, I had fish swimming more than halfway across the room! Other times you feel like you are looking through a glass bottomed boat (real sense of depth) and best of all its only £7.25 on Amazon! Tangled although a cartoon is also very good.

A

Anonymous

Madagasca 3 saw at cinema brilliant and very funny was our first 3d experience and enjoyed it

buzz_lightclick

I saw Life of Pi in 3D at the cinema over the weekend and thought the 3D was very effective, especially in certain key scenes.

Previous films where I thought the 3D worked well were Avatar, Tron Legacy, Hugo and Prometheus.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
'My Bloody Valentine'. One of the best flicks i've seen, for 3D. Real depth to everything, and great 'pop out' moments. Some of these low budget horror flicks are really showing the big budget, studio movies how it's done, when it comes to 3D, which when you think about it, is just ridiculous.

You have this film, which probably had a budget of $15,000,000, at most, and it's 3D is brilliant. Then you have massive films like 'Thor', 'Green Lantern' and 'Avengers', with $100,000,000 + budgets, and the 3D is flat, almost non-existant rubbish. I know they've been post-converted, but that's no excuse because i've seen very good P-C flicks too, again with miniscule budgets in comparison.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts