CAN AN ONKYO 607 POSSIBLY SOUND AS GOOD AS AN 876 ???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can the new 607 possibly be compared to an 876 as I'm on the verge of buying one at the greatly discounted price of £649 (an 876 that is) and the usual spanner in the works has been thrown in by a salesman comment that the 607 is as good if not better sounding.

I have heard the previous model to the 607 but not the 607 itself and the two amps are not in the same shop and so I can't audition them with then same set-up to be sure. Besides neither shop can demo either with the Tannoy Custom F1's that I have anyway so a 110% result as far as auditioning is concerned is hard to acheive.

The 607 is on offer at £470 both are with the Onkyo 3 year warranty so no difference there but I just can't see how the two can compare when they are so far apart in their respective market place ie mid range and high end, even if one has a possible years worth of new advances in technology.

Any thoughts please cos I thought it was a bit of a no brainer til now.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that Andrew, I had been looking at other receivers but there is so little available at the moment it seems due to the state of global affairs and the 876 was the best value the current market has available as far as I can see (and hear
emotion-2.gif
).

I just wanted a second opinion on whether I'm right to suspect that the salesman comment may have an element of the typical, "This is the best one, as I don't have the other in stock".

A

Anonymous

How can the 607 possibly sound 'better' than the 876? Once mid-range and the other is a higher-end amp.

While I'll state that my 605 is good, it is definitely nowhere near the 875! Same argument.

A

Anonymous

ValianTX:
How can the 607 possibly sound 'better' than the 876? Once mid-range and the other is a higher-end amp.

While I'll state that my 605 is good, it is definitely nowhere near the 875! Same argument.

Those were my thoughts exactly Valian, I'm getting on the phone and reserving the 876 tomorrow
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

ghostdancer:is the 876 better than the denon 2809 at the same price not to throw a spanner in the works i'm in a similar situation

Hi ghostdancer just got back in from work to order reserve my 876 and saw your post, I must admit I haven't heard the Denon personally but had looked briefly into it when I was looking for a Yam 863. Having re-read the review on hear for the 2809 WHF do say they would go for the Denon over the 876 so if there's nothing in it price wise it would be a consideration and I'll have a final look at price and availability of the 2809 though on a quick look I can't find it for less than £700 and that is with a 1 year warranty where as the 876 is £649 with a 3 year warranty.

Reading between the lines I don't think there is much between them tbh and taking it to the extreme WHF claim the Yam 863 which is generally cheaper is better than both of them, though that sparked furious debate it seems as many claimed that the 863 was not better than the 876 at all. I guess it depends on personal taste and who's opinion you want to accept really. I have been a fan of Denon in the past and have only recently been turned onto the Onkyo brand by many peoples strong opinions that they are leaders in the cinema hi-fi field, I would have always previously gone for Yamaha or Denon because of previous good experiences.

I still kinda feel that my speakers will perhaps balance well with the Onkyo overall but one final think through won't hurt I guess, have you auditioned any of the afore mentioned units yourself?

A

Anonymous

Just to update, I've gone for the 876 from Newcastle Hifi (or Peter Tyson as they are the same company) at £649 with the 3 year warranty.

Must say Onkyo's addition of a 3 year warranty has put any worries of reliability to bed for me and am pretty sure I've made the right decision.

Thanks to those of you that did respond to this thread
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

It will be sat all on it's own in an open space that ranges from 13' to 40' dependent on the room divider position, so bar from sitting it in the garden with an umbrella I can't see that I can serve it much more fresh air
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS