Can a 7 channel receiver use front height speakers??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

dav1967

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi Oldboy

I run height speakers through my Onkyo 809 AVR in Auydessey DSX mode.

With the Onkyo you have two DSP modes to use, Dolby PLIIz or Auydessey DSX.

If you check out their web sites it will explain how it works, but also they both need to have their front height speakers placed differently depending which mode you decide to use.

I been running this set up for a while now and I am considering removing the height speakers and bi-amping the front LR speakers instead.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Full report on the front height speakers should be incoming very soon as I have ordered all the bits needed so speaker brackets and banana plugs are on the way and I will order the speakers tomorrow so hopefully it will all be up and running by the weekend when I will report back with how it sounds with the Yamaha RX-A2020 I finally got last week :)

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
mr malarky said:
Most BluRay discs are simply mixed in 5.1, as that's the set-up 90% of people with surround sound have in their homes (scientists believe this limitation is due to the 'women' phenomenon, ie the female in the house vetoes the addition of any more speakers in the lounge!).

Heh-heh, I don't have a woman in the house, which is why I can have (my signature is slightly out of date), including subwoofers - 38 loudspeakers in a two-bedroom flat! (12 in the parlour, nine in the kitchen, ten in my bedroom and seven in the second bedroom) :)

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Oldboy said:
Full report on the front height speakers should be incoming very soon as I have ordered all the bits needed so speaker brackets and banana plugs are on the way and I will order the speakers tomorrow so hopefully it will all be up and running by the weekend when I will report back with how it sounds with the Yamaha RX-A2020 I finally got last week :)

Just a suggestion Oldboy, hope you don't mind! I was told this by the technical chap from Yamaha. You might want to try connecting the new pair of speakers not as Front Presence, but as Bi-Amp with the main front pair. See which connection you prefer. Luckily, your 2020 (if it's like my 2010) allows you to switch the configuation in the Manual Setup procedure, you don't physically have to reconnect the speaker wires. Although there is a VAST size difference between my main front pair (Eltax Shine 8, 107cm high) and the pair connected as Front Presence or Bi-Amp (Yamaha NX-E130, 16.5cm high) I find that they seem to work well together, the minute Yamahas seeming to produce almost as much (mid and high) frequencies as the big Eltaxes.I prefer the Bi-Amp connection to the Front Presence connection. But as I've beeen stressing, it's personal choice again!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Oldboy said:

Just a suggestion Oldboy, hope you don't mind! I was told this by the technical chap from Yamaha. You might want to try connecting the new pair of speakers not as Front Presence, but as Bi-Amp with the main front pair. See which connection you prefer. Luckily, your 2020 (if it's like my 2010) allows you to switch the configuation in the Manual Setup procedure, you don't physically have to reconnect the speaker wires. Although there is a VAST size difference between my main front pair (Eltax Shine 8, 107cm high) and the pair connected as Front Presence or Bi-Amp (Yamaha NX-E130, 16.5cm high) I find that they seem to work well together, the minute Yamahas seeming to produce almost as much (mid and high) frequencies as the big Eltaxes.I prefer the Bi-Amp connection to the Front Presence connection. But as I've beeen stressing, it's personal choice again!

That's very interesting Son_of_SJ, your comments are much appreciated, thank you.

My Dali Zensor 1's arrived this morning so everthing is here now to get the front heights up and running probably over the weekend so I will try the Bi-amp option and see which I prefer but it's great to know there are two ways of setting them up. Of course now these have arrived my eyes have been looking at my rear wall and seen me mulling over the possibility of adding another two Zensor 1's and going for full 9.1 surround but I will wait until the front height speakers are up and running before I decide on that one but it's certainly something that's on my mind. If I went down that route then I may be tempted to add another sub too... :?

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
One thing has just occurred to me, Oldboy. Your new Yamaha RX-A2020 (envy, envy, gnashing of teeth!) can drive a 9.2 set up. However, depending on the layout of your room you might want to consider having a single rear surround, rather than two rear surrounds? In my parlour I have two rear surrounds but in the kitchen and bedroom it's just not physically possible, so in those rooms I have a single rear surround. The only trouble arising from that is that you may struggle to buy a single speaker for the rear surround, but that's why God invented eBay and gumtree. The single rear surround can be an old centre speaker that somebody else wants to sell.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts