Can’t connect Denon PMA 600 to Tannoy Gold 7

Oguvenli

Oct 16, 2021
Visit site
Hi everyone!
I’m very new to hifi and i need your help as I got lost connecting my turntable to my monitors.
I have Denon DP 400 turntable , Denon PMA 600 amplifier and Tannoy Gold 7 monitors.
When I connect these three, I can’t control the volume, bass or treble on Amplifier.
I have to listen with the default volume and it’s quite high.
What am I missing? Can anyone help me?
Thank you in advance!
Best,
Ozgur

Gray

When I connect these three, I can’t control the volume, bass or treble on Amplifier.
I have to listen with the default volume and it’s quite high.
Hi Ozgur.
From what you've said there, I think you might have connected the turntable to the 'main in' (power amp input) on the amp.
Also, do you know that there is a phono preamp in both your turntable and your amp? They can't both be used.
Which one do you intend to use?

gasolin

Why active speaker for an amp 99.9% would use with passive speakers

if you want to use active speakers get one of these monitor controllers, you don't even need to buy one with a phonostage and if you only would use a turntable you don't need digital input .

The one i use

gasolin

phono stage,dac and amplifer+ binding posts is just waste of money when you don't need it with active speakers and a turntable with built in phonostage

I hope op can return the amp if he wants to keep the speakers instead of getting passive speakers

Oguvenli

Oct 16, 2021
Visit site
Hi Gray,
Thanks for thr message. I have connected the turntable to phono on the preamp.
There’s preamp on the turntable but it’s switched off.( if it’s on it blasts the sound.) Might it have anything to do that I’m connecting them to monitors instead of speakers? I’m not really sure if there’s any technical difference between speaker and monitor in that sense.
Thanks,
Ozgur

Hi Ozgur.
From what you've said there, I think you might have connected the turntable to the 'main in' (power amp input) on the amp.
Also, do you know that there is a phono preamp in both your turntable and your amp? They can't both be used.
Which one do you intend to use?

Oguvenli

Oct 16, 2021
Visit site
Hey Gasolin,
so do you think my problem would be solved if I exchange the amp with passive speakers?
I’m really new to this and have no idea honestly.
Dp 400 + passive speakers would be good to go? I could not control the volume and eq. With dp 400+ tannoy gold 7 monitors.
I don’t know the difference between passive speaker and a monitor either.

phono stage,dac and amplifer+ binding posts is just waste of money when you don't need it with active speakers and a turntable with built in phonostage

I hope op can return the amp if he wants to keep the speakers instead of getting passive speakers

I don’t know the difference between passive speaker and a monitor either.
Passive speakers need an amplifier. Powered or active speakers contain an amplifier, so don’t need one - though they may need a preamp with a volume control. ‘Monitor’ is a description that can apply to passive or active speakers, and isn’t helpful here.

Can you try connecting the turntable, with its phono preamp turned on, directly to the speakers, and use the volume knob on the speakers to control them? I realise the plugs and sockets may not match or the cables may be too short?

EDIt: forget trying that, it won’t connect now I’ve seen the sockets. Can you swap your Tannoys for regular passive speakers?

gasolin

Passive speakers need an amplifier. Powered or active speakers contain an amplifier, so don’t need one - though they may need a preamp with a volume control. ‘Monitor’ is a description that can apply to passive or active speakers, and isn’t helpful here.

Can you try connecting the turntable, with its phono preamp turned on, directly to the speakers, and use the volume knob on the speakers to control them? I realise the plugs and sockets may not match or the cables may be too short?

EDIt: forget trying that, it won’t connect now I’ve seen the sockets. Can you swap your Tannoys for regular passive speakers?

I think keeping the tannoys would give better sound than passives for the same price as the tannoys

Oguvenli

Oct 16, 2021
Visit site

Tannoys dont have volume knob. I have been told to have an amplifier in between for EQ and Volume but now I see that it’s useless.
So do you think that I should return the amp and get speakers with volume knob only? My quest is a very simple one.

Oguvenli

Oct 16, 2021
Visit site
Why active speaker for an amp 99.9% would use with passive speakers

if you want to use active speakers get one of these monitor controllers, you don't even need to buy one with a phonostage and if you only would use a turntable you don't need digital input .

The one i use

Thank you.. It looks sensible.. I tried previously with my Yamaha AG03 Mixer + turntable+ Tannoy but didn’t work, my aim was just to have a volume knob in between and I was told to get an amplifier which didn’t make sense to me. I have my Tannoys and I’m satisfied with them. So I’m trying to make use of what I have in hand. I can return the amp as I don’t need it, I’m just trying to understand what I need to make this setup work and why it’s not working :)

Oguvenli

Oct 16, 2021
Visit site
Depends on what you wanna use, it's not easy at all to adjust the volume on the back of the speakers or having to adjust both speakers to the same volume

Pick what ever you like, i have the cheap mackie big knob passive https://www.thomann.de/dk/studie_monitorcontrollere.html?oa=pra&filter=true&ls=100&gk=STMOMC
If you’re happy with Mackie big knob, that’s enough reference for me :) I’m not looking for something sophisticated. Does the name have anything to do with speakers being passive/ active? Can I still use it with my active monitors?

Gray

I tried previously with my Yamaha AG03 Mixer + turntable+ Tannoy but didn’t work, my aim was just to have a volume knob in between.
It will work Ozgur.
That nice little mixer is perfect for going between your turntable (set to line out) and your current Tannoy speakers. It will give you the volume control you require.
As a bonus, the mixer even has a USB input (a built-in DAC) which would allow decent PC sound / streaming into your Tannoys.....and it also gives you a headphone amp.

I've just been reading the Tannoy info. As you probably know, they were supplied with a link lead.
So you've got a choice of connection method. You can either:
1) Connect from the mixer to each of the speakers separately.
2) Connect from the mixer to one speaker, then use the link lead to go between the speakers.
Say which you would prefer.

Last edited:
Tannoys dont have volume knob. I have been told to have an amplifier in between for EQ and Volume but now I see that it’s useless.
So do you think that I should return the amp and get speakers with volume knob only? My quest is a very simple one.
Apologies, I see what I thought was volume is an input level adjustment but not a full volume control. Personally I think these speakers are quite unsuitable, especially for a beginner who uses a turntable.

The mixer suggestion above may work, but that’s not something I know about. Good luck.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts