Cambridge or Marantz to pair with MA RS6 - Andrew/Clare

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Due to an upgrade to MA RS8, I now have a spare pair of RS6s (lucky me).

Was planning to put them in the games room as it currently lacks a decent music setup and is big enough that computer speakers I have can't fill the room.

I've got about £750 to spend on a CDP and Amp and have been following the reviews of the Marantz 6003 series and Cambridge 650 series.

The RS6s are a little bright, so out of the Marantz and Cambridge which would be best fit?

I listen to pretty much everything from Classical to Hip Hop.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare,

Hadn't even thought about the NAD....................

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Aeis:
Due to an upgrade to MA RS8, I now have a spare pair of RS6s (lucky me).

Was planning to put them in the games room as it currently lacks a decent music setup and is big enough that computer speakers I have can't fill the room.

I've got about £750 to spend on a CDP and Amp and have been following the reviews of the Marantz 6003 series and Cambridge 650 series.

The RS6s are a little bright, so out of the Marantz and Cambridge which would be best fit?

I listen to pretty much everything from Classical to Hip Hop.

I think you need decent amplification for the RS6s so would spend at least £400 on the amp - I don't think that the 6003 will do it justice. I used to have the Creek Evo with mine and that would be in a different league.

A

Anonymous

Creek would be class but out of my price range at this point.

Slightly concerned about the comments in the review of the NAD regarding driving £500 + speakers.

The RS6s might only be just above the £500 mark but they still take some driving.

I'll try the Marantz and see how they sound; surprised that there has been no comment regardin the CA 650 kit?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
You should consider the excellent Cambridge kit, but it can tend towards brightness when paired with lively speakers - so the RS6s wouldn't be my first choice. I feel the Marantz amp and possibly NAD (but yes, you're reaching limits there; depending on size of your room/how hard you want to drive the MAs) would be a better match; or consider a second-hand model of a previously pricier amp - a Roksan Kandy, for example, or the aforementioned Creek.

Clare Newsome:You should consider the excellent Cambridge kit, but it can tend towards brightness when paired with lively speakers - so the RS6s wouldn't be my first choice. I feel the Marantz amp and possibly NAD (but yes, you're reaching limits there; depending on size of your room/how hard you want to drive the MAs) would be a better match; or consider a second-hand model of a previously pricier amp - a Roksan Kandy, for example, or the aforementioned Creek.

Yup, s/hand Creek Evo & Kandy LIII are good calls, but let's not overlook (please don't chuckle) ARCAM! I know they are not the most vigorous sounding amps, but they'll fall well within the OP's budget - partnered with RS6's they add an extra spring to an otherwise slightly leaden character.

A

Anonymous

This is what I love about these forums - Not only do you get the real world opinions of dedicated enthusiasts but also the wisdom of the editor-in-chief. I'm pretty sure if I asked a question on the Top Gear forums I wouldn't get Mr. Clarkson lol.

Anyway I digress, I may have the opurtunity to pick up either a Creek Evo 1 or a Kandy LIII, I've not head either of these but know that they are highly rated; three questions then:

i. Which would complement the RS6s better and
ii. What CD Players would be a good match for them?
iii. Would my spare QED Silver XT and Chord Silver interconnects suit?

I own a fair bit of Musical Fidelity X-Ray kit at the moment and enjoy the sound that has made when coupled with RS6s in past if that helps at all.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Aeis:
This is what I love about these forums - Not only do you get the real world opinions of dedicated enthusiasts but also the wisdom of the editor-in-chief. I'm pretty sure if I asked a question on the Top Gear forums I wouldn't get Mr. Clarkson lol.

Anyway I digress, I may have the opurtunity to pick up either a Creek Evo 1 or a Kandy LIII, I've not head either of these but know that they are highly rated; three questions then:

I own a fair bit of Musical Fidelity X-Ray kit at the moment and enjoy the sound that has made when coupled with RS6s in past if that helps at all.

I used to have the the Creek Evo with my RS6s and it was a great match. I've not heard the Kandy so cannot comment but you can't go wrong with the Evo. As for a cd player. I used to have the Denon DCD700AE with the Evo - a great double act. The Denon has now been superceded so you might get a really good deal on the older one.

Aeis:

Opposite to gerrard, I've heard the RS6's with the Kandy but not the Evo. Yes the Kandy is great with M/A's, although I found that the kandy could be slightly thugish sounding with certain music, but it is a very small criticism (and that could be attributed to my room size).

Arcam, Roksan or Exposure 2010s would suit the RS's well. Also fine with QED, can't comment on Musical Fidelity.

A

Anonymous

Hello everyone,

Maybe it's not the right thread, but i'll have a try. My first post here (and sorry for this newbie/stupid question) so please be gentle. I can say I'm in the same situation; I want to buy a pair of MA RS6 only for stereo and I was thinking to power them with a Samson Power Amp (Servo 300). This is a Studio Amp - am I doing something wrong here? Will this AMP sound equal/better/worse than a £350+ HiFi Amp? I really want to know a bit more about this option and i was thinking that this is the best place to ask. As a preamp I'll use (for now) my Denon 1909 (Zone 2 Outs). Many thanks for all your support. Regards, Axell.

A

Anonymous

Pioneer SA-9500 Integrated Amplifier? ... ebay id 270453895496

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts