Cambridge Audio question for a friend, just to really try your patience!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Hello again - sorry to be so greedy today. Anyway, because of the results ive achieved thanks to the great advice hear, a friend of mine seems to have caught the bug and he's considering the £300 package from Richer...to listen to CDs and CDRs. He doesnt want to go over 400 for everything, you see, and he would still have to at least get leads (what would you get from them with the package?). What do people think? More specifically, could anyone try to describe the difference in sound compared to my NAD/MA setup? I think he will try to have a listen at some point, but i have it in my head for some reason that Cambridge can be quite "bright"...? Best, Al.

A

Anonymous

Correct. Top end can be harsh, certainly bright in comparison to Nad. CD players better than the amps...

A

Anonymous

Yup good idea, I wouldn't like to hazzard a guess at what he'd prefer although myself would choose Nad. Music choice can also be a factor...the Cambridge was ok with smoother soul/R'n'B (crap
emotion-4.gif
) but I listen to alot of rock and although not too much of it is heavy/metal, with the Cambridge whenever I got a bit carried away in the enjoyment and cranked the volume up to quite a substancial volume, I often found myself reaching back to the volume to turn it back down when the music 'crescendoed' or got a bit hectic, it was far too strained. As I said before I personally feel the amps aren't as good as the cd players, and the amp was to blame for this experience. I believe I'm not the only one either to feel that the power ratings claimed by Cambridge Audio are a tad overstated. Bought Rotel 1062 and had that partnering the 640C problem gone...theres none of the harshness and no matter how much you turn it up you just want to keep cranking it more and more
emotion-2.gif
Both amps were rated 60w (i know everyone says the ratings don't matter and not to take notice of them) but when I first listened to the Rotel I could not believe how much more powerful it sounded, alot more low end clout especially. I've kind of side tracked here but my point is with the Cambridge music can be harsh and after a short while laborious leaving the listener themself edgey and far from musical nirvana.

A

Anonymous

I find current NAD gear is very good with jazz and rock, they seemed to get bracketed into this by reviews a few years back. Sadly, they seemed to concentrate so much on this type of music, that anything esle you listen to on it does tend to suffer.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Cheers folks.

How would it be if he tried to negotiate them into letting him have diferent speakers, which are CA also? Would that make a substantial difference?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
OK, thanks for all help so far. sdame friend wants to know what he could get amp and cd he could get for around 150 a piece? Prefereably Denon, aparently...?

He also wants a bass-ier sound than mine. Wharfdale diamond 9.1s maybe?

Combined with the CA 340C and CA 340ASE?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Just thought it was worth a bump as its quiet. Now, apologies if im confusing peopel, but i just want to add this. He has listened to my NAD and MABR" system, and wants it bassier. Bearing in mind the idea its the speakers that make most difference(?), could he make a denon, or, more likely, CA - amped system sound beefier by adding the right speakers on a tight budget? As you can see, i wondered above about the Wardale diamond 9.1s...? He is used to logitech pc speakers like me tho, so he may mean that he wants a "dirtier" more dense sound. Who knows. Sorry for the confusion, but he is unable to post all this himself, so it gets filtered through me before you see it.

nads

[quote user="Raymond Terrific"]I find current NAD gear is very good with jazz and rock, they seemed to get bracketed into this by reviews a few years back. Sadly, they seemed to concentrate so much on this type of music, that anything esle you listen to on it does tend to suffer.[/quote]

Maybe that is correct but i do use mine for its fair share of music that does not fit the above.

Maybe the choice of speakers helps.

but saying that i am just listening to a roku net radio and it is a bit bassier than cd but that could just be the music choice.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Yeah id not heard that about jazz etc til i read it in that post. i think its just about finding a compromise, if you listen to a range of music. my music is mostly "rock", but thats a gross simplification, as that can mean blind melon and rem to slipknot to elliott smith to sepultura, as in my case it does. But what do you think about my last post?

nads

cant comment. only listened to some wharfdales a long time ago and i did not buy them.

what i would do is this. he needs to listen to may different set as he can and when a decision has been made on one part as being the must have part, now that may be the speakers or the amp or the CD player i don't know, but i would then get the rest from the same shop as you can then listen to them altogether before buying. and the other good thing about buying from one place you may get a discount or free cables/interconects....

Personally if the guy wants a robust sound i would get NAD cd and amp combo and test out some speakers that that shop supply. I would also go above the price level for the speakers while listening as then you can see the potential that the combo can do.....

PS let me make it clear i have ZERO connection to NAD or anywhere that sells it. it is just that i have been using their products for 20 plus years.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
seems sound advice, cheers. dont worry - your connection, or not, to nad wouldnt matter. ive got one so i know roughly how they sound. personally i did everything the wrong way and just bought stuff without hearing it, for my current (and 1st) system. im pretty pleased, but might see if theres an amp that pushes my speakers a bit more, as aparently its possible to get more out of them - or rather, they can bare upgrades. thats partly why i was keen on them.

A

Anonymous

I dont think id buy another cambridge audio amp, purchased a 340a a few weeks ago and im not happy with it at all, i listen to alot of old "rave" kinda stuff from the mid 80's to mid 90's and the cambridge absolutly crucifies my music, it seems that the amp is trying to alter the harshness and ruff edged kind of sound my music is based around,
the amp is really clear and really loud in the bedroom it lives in but theres something just not right about it.

nads

[quote user="al7478"]seems sound advice, cheers. dont worry - your connection, or not, to nad wouldnt matter. ive got one so i know roughly how they sound. personally i did everything the wrong way and just bought stuff without hearing it, for my current (and 1st) system. im pretty pleased, but might see if theres an amp that pushes my speakers a bit more, as aparently its possible to get more out of them - or rather, they can bare upgrades. thats partly why i was keen on them.[/quote]

don't forget that you can just add a power amp to your amp and use the current one as a pre amp.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="al7478"]interesting. i thought the harder highs would be something CA amps would be suited to (by their reputation - i have little experience of them)[/quote]

I think that the cambridge would sound lovely with opera music or something along those lines, but in my opinion it just doesnt seem to agree with rugged beats and the like.

I go round to a friends house quite often who has a 17 year old pioneer 400a and it sounds a million times better than the cambridge, it baffles me how something so old can sound better than something so new, but it just does, it pis*ses me right off lol

In all fairness though, i should of spent alot more money than what i did on an amp, £150 is nothing really in amp terms, thats probably why the old pioneer sounds so much better, because it cost more than £150 seventeen years ago i expect??l lol

Id like one of the new pioneer amps, but dont think the facia design agrees with other seperates.

nads

[quote user="al7478"]Good point. I have no idea what that will do to the sound tho. Whats the general idea of what one is trying to achieve by adding a preamp?[/quote]

No wrong way round using you amp as the pre amp controls to control a power amp.

you have two jumpers on the back pre out and main in.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="marcymarc555"]
[quote user="al7478"]interesting. i thought the harder highs would be something CA amps would be suited to (by their reputation - i have little experience of them)[/quote]

I think that the cambridge would sound lovely with opera music or something along those lines, but in my opinion it just doesnt seem to agree with rugged beats and the like.

I go round to a friends house quite often who has a 17 year old pioneer 400a and it sounds a million times better than the cambridge, it baffles me how something so old can sound better than something so new, but it just does, it pis*ses me right off lol

In all fairness though, i should of spent alot more money than what i did on an amp, £150 is nothing really in amp terms, thats probably why the old pioneer sounds so much better, because it cost more than £150 seventeen years ago i expect??l lol

Id like one of the new pioneer amps, but dont think the facia design agrees with other seperates.

[/quote]

i understand what you mean i think. it has difficulty coping with the thuddy stuff rather than the high end stuff...?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="nads"][quote user="al7478"]Good point. I have no idea what that will do to the sound tho. Whats the general idea of what one is trying to achieve by adding a preamp?[/quote]

No wrong way round using you amp as the pre amp controls to control a power amp.

you have two jumpers on the back pre out and main in.[/quote]

So id need a dedicated power amp, like the ones in the guide in WHFS&V? What would be the goal of doing that tho?

nads

[quote user="al7478"][quote user="nads"][quote user="al7478"]Good point. I have no idea what that will do to the sound tho. Whats the general idea of what one is trying to achieve by adding a preamp?[/quote]

you have two jumpers on the back pre out and main in.[/quote]

So id need a dedicated power amp, like the ones in the guide in WHFS&V? What would be the goal of doing that tho?[/quote]

lost me....

basically any 2 channel power amp eg i use the Nad c272 (in a diferent way but you could but i feel it mat give a touch too much power.).

which amp do you have again? i forget.

nads

kep.php

not a problem just remove the black plastic covered jumpers and run an inter connect to the main in of a power amp.

but for an immediate upgrade get some tara labs RSC cables to replace the jumpers. a big improvement on total sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts