Cambridge Audio Minx S325 style speakers versus Mission M-Cube

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can the WHF team or forum members comment on the CA Minx S325 being superior to the Mssion M Cube. I assume that they would provide a better sound using similar technology, but with the two speakers per unit (albeit twice the size in height)? These would fit perfectly my room layout and my other half objection to large speakers.

In the WHF review in the latest edition, the CA Minx were recommended to be paired with the Sony STR-DH810. If I had a healthy budget, would it be an advantage to go for a higher spec AVR or would I be wasting my money?

Finally, the CA Minx are rated at 75W per speaker unit, whereas typical AVRs that might suit these are rated at around the 100W - 120W per channel. Is this an issue, or can the AVR be rated that much higher (and is that an advantage)?

Thanks,

Paul.

A

Anonymous

No one have an opinion? WHF team?

Also, will the CA Minx S325 provide a better sound / dialogue than my Denon S-301 2.1 system (5.1 audio notwithstanding)?

Thanks,

Paul.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The test team- best to tackle this one - are all since headed home for Christmas, i'm afraid...

I'll ask one of them to answer this in the New Year, if you can wait that long!

In the meantime, i'd strongly urge you to have a demo, so you can understand their capabilities (take your favourite discs).

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare. No problem for the New Year, and yes I will demo when I get round to buying.

Have a great Christmas.

Paul.

Andy.M

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
I am also very interested in the Minx style speakers and would also like to know the answers to the above questions from Paul.

Another question that i would like answering is what advantage would be gained if i purchased the S525 rather than the S325, i have a room of 5m square

The review in the latest magazine says that they can be a touch "bright" in sound, therefore careful choice of AV receiver is important. Would the Onkyo TX-SR608 be a good selection?

I look forward to a reply.

Happy New Year to you all.

Andy.

A

Anonymous

I have the same dilemma as Andy and Paul. I have the Onkyo NR708 and I am trying to work out a lifestyle set for my (small) living room. I was looking at the 325, M-cube and 525, but I am open to suggestions.

I am in the US, so my options are more limited. I looked at the Focal leDome, but I don't think I can quite afford the difference in price. I can't find a local retailer for the B&W 25 or 30.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
james_b:
I have the same dilemma as Andy and Paul. I have the Onkyo NR708 and I am trying to work out a lifestyle set for my (small) living room. I was looking at the 325, M-cube and 525, but I am open to suggestions.

I am in the US, so my options are more limited. I looked at the Focal leDome, but I don't think I can quite afford the difference in price. I can't find a local retailer for the B&W 25 or 30.

What about the Focal le sib&cub

images

Cheaper than le dome.

Heard them on the end of an Onkyo (not sure which model) in a dealers shop and they sounded great.

A

Anonymous

Clare,

You were going to pass my initial question to your test team in the New Year. I'm sure you are busy and that it is on your 'to do list', so this is just a gentle reminder.

Many thanks and a Happy New Year.

Paul.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
As you may have noticed from the news section, Clare - along with most of the test team - is currently in Las Vegas covering the CES 2011 show. I'm sure they'll answer on their return.

A

Anonymous

Clare,

Are you and the team back yet from the CES 2011 show to answer my questions as previously promised? Just a gentle reminder, that's all.

I did consider the B&W MT-25, so is there a big difference between these and the CA Minx S325?

Paul.

A

Anonymous

Clare,

Regarding my previous post at: http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/548157.aspx

You said you would pass it to the WHF test team in the New Year, and that was just before Christmas. Any chance of getting some answers please? There have been a lot of hits, so I'm guessing there are others interested in what your team have to say.

Apologies if you already have this in hand.

Thanks.

Paul.

A

Anonymous

I'm beginning to give up on this thread/question, as WHF don't appear to be interested in answering.....

What's your overall budget for speakers + AV receiver? Are you restricted to only the Cambridge Audio Minx & the Mission M-cubes?

Going for a higher spec receiver for the Cambridge Audio Minx speakers than the Sony 810 won't really bring about a significant performance improvement, as the 810s are already bringing out the best from the speakers. Demo the Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer & Onkyo as well. The Onkyo 608, which is £100 more expensive than the Sony, is superior to my ears. You should listen to them & compare.

The Missions perform remarkably well for their size, although they may be a little weak with music.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Bigboss.

Budget around £1500 for speakers and amp. Been interested in Onkyo 608 or Denon 1911 paired with either MT-25 or KEF KHT3005SE, although other half trying to badger me to lower the price - KEF were my initial choice due to centre speaker designed for clear dialogue. She liked the look of the CA Minx / Sony combination (we have a Sony Hi-Fi rack, so she is biased towards Sony!), and being that the WHF review rated them quite highly (albeit 4 stars) I consider it a possibility.

Incidentally, I also like the look of the CA Minx (still not sure about KEF 'eggs') and use will be for TV/Movies - not music.

Paul.

A

Anonymous

Hi Paul

In December I purchased the Samsung UE40C4000 (well done WHAT HIFI....superb!), Onkyo TX-SR608, 2no MIN10 Speakers acting as left & right & 1no MIN20 Speaker for centre/speech & the X200 amp. I had a preview of the sound quality of both twin & single speaker in Richer Sounds via the cambridge audio dock, I'm no expert but the sound was decent, the treble was very clear & the mid range comes in on the MIN20's.

Since setting it up at home I would say the overall performance is decent. I need to add an additional 2no MIN20's for left & rights & use the singles for rears to make it 5.1 setup to be completely satisfied. When I first rigged the speakers voices/speech sounded 'tinny' & I was really disappointed. I also seemed to be suffering with delayed speech that seems to be a drawback of HD Channels. I resolved delayed speech by turning on automatic lip sync & adjusting lip sync to plus 300ms. I then contacted Onko for the tinny sound in a hope that the speakers did not need to be returnded. They tell you to up the subwoofer on onkyos menu to 8db & lower the independent volume on the rear of the x200 to compensate. Once this was achieved it gave the depth the speakers required. The treble as mentioned is really clear & stands out, they just seem to lack something on the mid, The sub is very impressive & could shake the house if cranked up, it's really punchy in all the right places, watching the Hulk really showed the X200 off in all the right places & the speakers showed plenty of depth & detail, more than you would expect for there size. Adding the MIN20's will probably give the extra kick I'm looking for, if your a clarity man like myself you wont be dissapointed. If it's clarity & plenty of punchy mid range, forget the looks & go for somethng a little larger or in a higher price bracket.

Hope this helps with your decision, so far I have only watched a couple of films & have yet to purchase a bluray player so I cannot give you a real review of what the speakers can achieve. I can send some pics if you would like to see how they aesthetically appeal?!

Regards

Paul

A

Anonymous

Hi Coadstar,

Many thanks for the review. Interesting to hear how you had to fiddle with the settings to get a better sound, but I guess that is normal. I expect you to find improvement when you have the extra Min20s for the fronts. If I go down this route I will go for the Min20 x 5 and the X300 subwoofer (as reveiewed by WHF - hence my questions to their team; just no reply yet from them!). I also think the Onkyo TX-SR608 is a good choice, although I will also consider the Yamaha and Denon equivalents.

I know you had the problem with delayed speech, but how clear is the dialogue? And how big is your room / viewing distance?

Great if you can post some pics, so thanks in advance.

Paul.

A

Anonymous

Coadstar,

Any chance of posting those pictures that you offered to send?

Thanks,

Paul.

A

Anonymous

Hi Paul,

The Minx use a sophisticated hybrid diaphragm Cambridge calls BMR (Balanced Mode Radiator) that's a combination of traditional pistonic driver and NXT's flat panel wave plane transducer. Having first hand experience with the Min10's and 20's I can tell you these need some run in time before the diaphragm materials relax and travel their full excursion path yielding best sound. I think they need 20-hours or so before they stop improving. Secondly, to my own ear, these sound best close to a wall as the plane reinforces the mid-range and supports better dynamics. These changes aren't subtle - anyone can hear them.

Like any dynamic loudspeaker, current is the fuel that creates the motion we love so much. Give them more power and you will get more dynamics (Micro and Macro), grip and extension in the bass, and a greater sense of authority to your music in return. Loudspeaker manufacturers post max power figures as a guideline, not an absolute . It's far easier to damage a speaker with too little power than too much. You'll likely run out of cash for high-end electronics before you can over amplify the Minx system. All that said, lots of power can convince a smaller speaker to do great things, but you can't cheat physics - these diaphragms are 2.25" across and can only pressurize so much air which we hear as SPL's before things distort. In other words, while these are amazingly small, offer fantastic imaging, superb detail and still leave a lot of the Queens currency left over to purchase music with, don't expect them to be outdoor public address speakers. For their size and price, I've never heard better; but I've not heard every other alternative - and it's just my opinion. My advice - go to a good shop and listen for yourself and don't be afraid to trust your own judgement.

Here's a link to my iDisc where you can download a few Minx images:

https://public.me.com/jbevier

My very best - JBevier / Rochester, NY / USA

A

Anonymous

John,

Thanks for the comprehensive review, and good to know about the run in time. And nice pics!

I know you say you haven't heard every other alternative, but have you had any experience comparing them to B&W MT1s (MT-25) or KEF KHT3005SE?

Thanks,

Paul.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts