Newbie: Help me pick an amp!

Leyenda

Sep 30, 2021
Visit site
I'm in the market for my first real HiFi system ever. It will be used 99% for either a) streaming hi-res music, and b)hooking up to my TV and watching movies etc. Budget is around USD$1,200, though I could goa little higher if it's justified.

For speakers, I've decided to got with the Tekton M-Lores - due to rave review but also because I like what Eric Alexander is doing. I might add a subwoofer in future, if I think I need it. So that is settled.

I need help picking a receiever / amp / pre-amp / streamer, or some combination thereof. Due to budget constraints I'm strongly leaning towards getting a "just add speakers" integrated unit, since they seem to be the best deals out there (unless there's a good reason not to). Here are some options I've come across that include the all-important HDMI-ARC input:

Denon DRA-800H ($600): Seems like an all around solid option - 100w per channel, lot's of digital inputs, etc.

Marantz NR1200 ($700): Should be similar to the Denon above, but less powerful at 75w per channel, and $100 more expensive. Overall it seems to me like the Denon leans more towards the A/V side of things, while the Marantz is more 'musical' - could be wrong though.

Sonos Amp ($700): The most powerful of the bunch, at 125w per channel. Also the most A/V focused - for example it can create 4.1 surround sound using wireless speakers, which is not something I think I'll ever use. Does this come at the cost of pure HiFi abilities?

NAD D3045 ($750): This is something a little different - I'm including it here because it features what I need (DAC/streaming, HDMI ARC) though in a strange package. It's the least powerful of the bunch, at only 60w per channel, and also the most expensive. It's a "hybrid digital" design, rather than traditional A/B, which I'm not too sure about - though it does come from a brand with an incredible pedigree.

Anything else I should be considering? Any help is appreciated!

Reactions: barcpc

Tinman1952

I'm in the market for my first real HiFi system ever. It will be used 99% for either a) streaming hi-res music, and b)hooking up to my TV and watching movies etc. Budget is around USD$1,200, though I could goa little higher if it's justified.

For speakers, I've decided to got with the Tekton M-Lores - due to rave review but also because I like what Eric Alexander is doing. I might add a subwoofer in future, if I think I need it. So that is settled.

I need help picking a receiever / amp / pre-amp / streamer, or some combination thereof. Due to budget constraints I'm strongly leaning towards getting a "just add speakers" integrated unit, since they seem to be the best deals out there (unless there's a good reason not to). Here are some options I've come across that include the all-important HDMI-ARC input:

Denon DRA-800H ($600): Seems like an all around solid option - 100w per channel, lot's of digital inputs, etc.

Marantz NR1200 ($700): Should be similar to the Denon above, but less powerful at 75w per channel, and $100 more expensive. Overall it seems to me like the Denon leans more towards the A/V side of things, while the Marantz is more 'musical' - could be wrong though.

Sonos Amp ($700): The most powerful of the bunch, at 125w per channel. Also the most A/V focused - for example it can create 4.1 surround sound using wireless speakers, which is not something I think I'll ever use. Does this come at the cost of pure HiFi abilities?

NAD D3045 ($750): This is something a little different - I'm including it here because it features what I need (DAC/streaming, HDMI ARC) though in a strange package. It's the least powerful of the bunch, at only 60w per channel, and also the most expensive. It's a "hybrid digital" design, rather than traditional A/B, which I'm not too sure about - though it does come from a brand with an incredible pedigree.

Anything else I should be considering? Any help is appreciated!
Hi. Your chosen speakers are very sensitive at 95db so any of the amps would drive them to levels which would damage your hearing!
I would look therefore at the features you require and not the power output.
Personally I would choose the NAD or the Marantz…..👍

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts