Cambridge Audio Minx 2.1 vs Standmount speakers

ajmjcowan

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Anyone out there compared a Cambridge Audio Minx 2.1 system with a pair of standmounts? If so, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. I'm currently using a Denon PMA-50 (Spotify premium via Google CCA using the Denon's DAC) with a pair of MA GX50s, which sounds very good but I was wondering if I'd lose anything going to the CA 2.1 set-up (trying to free up some space). Room measures about 5m x 3m with the speakers on stands against the long wall (pretty much hard up against it), either side of the TV.

Thanks

manicm

ajmjcowan said:
Anyone out there compared a Cambridge Audio Minx 2.1 system with a pair of standmounts? If so, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. I'm currently using a Denon PMA-50 (Spotify premium via Google CCA using the Denon's DAC) with a pair of MA GX50s, which sounds very good but I was wondering if I'd lose anything going to the CA 2.1 set-up (trying to free up some space). Room measures about 5m x 3m with the speakers on stands against the long wall (pretty much hard up against it), either side of the TV.

Thanks

I had the minx min 20s with x300 sub and they were right up there with my 685s. But the sub MUST be in a corner, no matter what ca or anyone else says.

ajmjcowan

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of the 11/12s with a 201 and the sub would be along the long wall so would have limited reinforcement from what you've said regarding corner palcement. Tonally, did you find the satellites and sub to be well integrated?

Thanks.

Barbapapa

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
Currently I have the Minx 21s and Sub 201 in my main set-up, for reasons of space. I am considering a future upgrade to monitors (have these in the study), and have on occasion tried a different pair of monitors (Dali Zensor Pico and Amphion Ion).

The Minx themselves sound very clear and detailed, and combined with the sub can go louder than I care for. The Minx 21s on their own already have a substantial amount of bass presence, so to me only need little enforcement from the sub. This also means I have no problems with their combination, the sub mostly fills in the stomach-rippling boom, while the musical part of the bass is handled (or at least seems to me) mostly by the 21s. My sub is also in the corner, I can't say how it would work on a long wall.

I'd be hard-pressed to identify the difference with monitors as such. The Amphions to me seem more detailed and have better imaging, which may be due more to the qualities of the Amphions than monitors as such. The Dalis were quite similar to the Minx, not surprising as they are also really satellite speakers. The sound is not room-filling in the sense that you can always clearly tell it is coming from the corner, but it is quite life-like. The reason I'm considering monitors is that I feel that there may be some that are better at reproducing softer voices/details: I would probably have the same inclination with some kinds of monitors. This may in fact be entirely subjective perception. I've listened to Mahler on the Minx set, clearly and satisfactorily reproducing all different instruments, dynamics and orchestral activity.

Personally I wouldn't go for the Minx 11/12 as I would fear they would be too limited to be entirely compensated by the sub, but that may simply be a mistaken preconception.

ajmjcowan

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks both, that's really helpful. I may potentially be able to get it in a corner, but if not it sounds like I may need to give up on the idea.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts